Cleaning

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by offroad64, Sep 13, 2013.

1. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I was just wondering does anybody know what would happen to a nickle plated razor of you put it through the dishwasher?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have no idea, but since I know Scrubbing Bubbles:
    A - eats soap scum
    2 - disinfects
    Third - leaves my razor nice an shiny...

I'll stick with Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush as required and not take a chance on a dishwasher.

BamaT likes this.
  3. offroad64

I use Scrubbing Bubbles Borax and a tooth brush. Leaves an awful taste on my tooth brush but my razors stay clean. :rofl: I was just wonder if people have tried.

Dan The Man, Grant, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  4. swarden43

:happy102:
    Honestly, I've never heard of anyone trying the dishwasher. I'm sure if it was a successful alternative, we would have heard about it by now, but ya never know unless you ask, eh?

5. offroad64

I'll stick with hand cleaning.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Many DW detergents contain bleach so I'd avoid using this type of soap out of concern for the razor finish. From what I've read online, those who have put dirty or corroded razors through the cycle of the DW are generally disappointed in the results. They usually wind up going back to the scrubbing bubbles soak & toothbrush (or gun-cleaning brushes) to thoroughly clean razors.

7. offroad64

I just realised that the Scrubbing Bubbles I'm using contain bleach. I should stop using I guess??

8. swarden43

The only issues I've heard from folks using Scrubbing Bubbles have come when they have let the razor sit for a prolonged period of time (30+ minutes). Some folks have lost the paint from the numbers on their Fatboy and stars on their Lady Gillettes. I let mine sit just until the foam disappears, usually less than five minutes, and I've never lost paint from numbers on my Fatboy, Slim, or stars from the Lady Gillette.

All of my razors have been through Scrubbing Bubbles with zero issues.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never used a dishwasher either..A toothbrush, softcloth,Dawn, Scrubbing bubbles, Mothers-Mag-Polish and elbow grease seem work very well...I have used a sonic jewlery cleaner to help get nastiness out of the inner workings of TTO's and adjustables. With 2 or 3 piece razors I don't see the point..It seems the dish washer wouldn't hurt nickle plate or chrome,however I could be "VERY" wrong, also I'd hate to see what happens if the razor comes out of the basket it's in and gets into the moving parts of the dish washer..:( I don't think it's worth the chance for the small amount of gain you may realize....:)

10. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

What they said.

11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I either use scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush or a mixture of borax/warm water and a toothbrush. I prefer the latter but they both work great. I really don't think you would damage the razor using the dish washer but I do think it would clean the razor throughly.

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Toothbrush,hot water and white vinegar
    Soft towel and rest in the air to get dry.

13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Will the vinegar actually clean old residues off? I need to try that next time... way way cheaper than "scrubbing bubbles" and the likes.. and healthier I suppose?

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Arm & Hammer Peroxicare toothpaste. (with peroxide and baking soda)
    A dab of paste on an old worn toothbrush, warm water, and mild pressure.
    Absolutely amazing results and cheap too!

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Just a little liquid hand soap and old toothbrush for routine cleaning, Scrubbing Bubbles for new razor or if I let a little gunk build up.

17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Be careful with vinegar. It will take the nickel plating off if you let it soak.

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011:
    I don't know if it will hurt it if it's completely submerged. But I left a razor with the head submerged in a vinegar solution and it stripped the plating from the handle at the liquid-air line.

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I think I would be careful using vinegar on my razors. Vinegar has a lot of uses, and i could be wrong, but I'm not sure cleaning razors would be one.

20. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Racing stripe

Sontag and BamaT like this.