Would you have a razor re-plated???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mbastings, Sep 16, 2013.

1. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I saw the recent post asking about buying a re-plated razor, but that referred to the trustworthiness of a seller. I am curious since I'm just getting into the collecting phase of this obsession, If you find a vintage razor that you really love...how many of you would indulge in having it re-plated. Is this common? Do you prefer the patina from the age of the razor? I know that the Razor Emporium offers a service to re-plate in Nickel, Rhodium, or Gold. Does this increase/decrease the value of the vintage razor? There are some pretty pricey re-plated razors on their site, and I didn't know if it is due to increasing the value, or simply because it is a very desirable razor. As always, thanks for any insight. It's always appreciated.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Used to be less common not that long ago. Now? Tons of replated razors floating around.

You might want to research Razor Emporium though, if you are considering replating. Not the most favorably viewed replater. They don't do their own replating from what I understand. They send razors out to be replated.

Somebody will come along with referrals to other replaters, I'm sure.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Recommended ones are Reliable Electroplating and Restored Razors
    As a number of people routinely say - Razor Emporium is somewhere you roll the dice with; they have turned out some fantastic razors, and in other cases botched not only plating jobs, but have in other cases lost heirloom razors that people have sent them.

4. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

And that's why it pays to ask questions. Thanks.

BamaT likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've thought about doing it myself. Just for fun of course. I've got a few razors that could use it now so I may go for it before too long. I'd really like to have a black chrome Fatboy or Slim.

6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

OCRazorman has some nice looking rhodium replated razors on eBay. A couple are tempting.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I did it. I got a Gillette New. It was an excellent shaver, but it had lost its good looks. I had it nickel plated by Sam Duran over at Badger and Blade. His user name is Krona Kruiser. This is my only experience, but it was great and I am very satisfied with his work. It was $27 with a 2 week turn around.
    new_plated2.jpg

8. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

In MY opinion, re-plating seems almost like cheating. Where's the fun in collecting, if you re-plate or buy a re-plated razor? I can understand re-plating if you have your favorite razor and never intend to buy another and want to give new life to your 1 vintage razor...but a den full of re-plated razors, to me, just seems like the Grinch stealing Christmas. Where's the joy in "collecting". Anybody can turn an ugly razor into a beauty (as long as you have the resources to), but the real diamonds are the pristine/mint razors found in the wild, in all it's "original" glory! Again, just my, inexperienced opinion. SHAVE ON friends!

Grant likes this.
  9. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I don't have any desire as of right now to have any re-plated, but I was curious how frequent collectors did it. I agree with Kawika503, that I wouldn't want all of my razors re-plated. The plating does look very nice on Jayaruh's New though.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Collectors and people who have a lot of razors are 2 different things. Most collectors I've known wouldn't have a replated razor, at least not for their "collection".

I can't think of anyone who has all their razors replated.

11. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I see these new re-plated razors and they are absolutely stunning!

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is exactly what I have intended to do with my old New, by the same gentleman. It's a wonderful razor but it's present condition is, shall we say, less than pristine.
    On my 'to do' list...probably go with chrome vs nickel.
    [​IMG]

13. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I'm about to have my pre-war Gillette fat handled Tech replated. For me it's a little bit about preservation (the unplated metal tarnishes easier), a little bit about aesthetics, and a little bit about giving an old razor a new lease on life. People repaint old cars, so what's wrong with replating an old razor?

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To your original query, I haven't had any of my razors re-plated. Don't know if I will.

I have 30+ razors, but I don't consider myself a collector. I'm a gatherer/user :).
    As I define a collector (and this is my definition, just to be sure), it is one who is looking for the-mint, the best-of-the-best, the-ones-in-cases-with-complete-instructions, for-display-purposes-only type razors. Again, that's MY definition and I do not impose that on anyone.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor

display4.jpg
    Well, I am starting to get there. I have no mint/cased razors, but I have used every one multiple times. I have my favorites. The New is a favorite. I am happy I replated it, but I have no plans to replate any others. Clean and sometimes polished works fine for me. This is my collection minus the three brushes and three razors I am currently using.

Kawika503, 178-bplatoon and swarden43 like this.
  16. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I don't collect razors. As a matter of fact I only own 3 razors. Four if y Golden Cobra 001.JPG Golden Cobra 002.JPG ou count the one straight razor that I have given up trying to master. What I do have is 2 Cobras. I fell in love with the razor and felt I needed a back-up. Then out or curiosity and the need to tell one from the other I had one plated gold.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have a fair amount of razors however, I'm not a real "purest" collector myself and so I have no problem with replating or buyng a replated/refurbished razor, especially if the razor has seen bad times in it's life and needs a face lift...As to value I think most "purest" collectors will devalue a replated razor if they would buy it at all. As a user/collector you need to check at least two things I.M.O.:
    1) Who did the replating and is it done correctly? This can make a big difference not only in how the razor looks but also perhaps "more importantly" in how long those looks will last..
    2) Is a replated razor being sold as "minty or NOS instead of as a replate. A replate I.M.O. should be well identified and shouldn't cost more than going price for that particular razor plus cost of replating....:)

18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Razor prices are all over the place, and there is no clear consensus over how plating affects value. Ask ten wetshavers and you will get eleven different opinions.

Refinishing reduces the value of most collectibles, often dramatically so. Vintage razors are not most collectibles, however, and wetshaving enthusiasts as a whole differ from most collectors. Many wetshavers, perhaps the overwhelming majority, use their collectibles. Some do so on a daily basis, others less often but still frequently. Most other kinds of collectors value historical authenticity far more than a pristine or enhanced appearance.

Wetshavers also value the appearance of their razors. This is true to such an extent that replating a razor can actually increase its value, even if the replating is not in the original finish. There are Gillette Slims and 195s that were replated in rhodium, and which sell for much more than they would with their worn nickel finish.

At the end of the day, it is what you value in your razors that counts the most. If you like your razors better replated, then it makes sense to do so. If you like them better with their original finish, then they should be left that way. And if anyone becomes unhappy over what you do with your razors, that is just too bad. You can always sell them to shavers who see things the other way.

Where is the fun in collecting a really grungy looking razors? If the original finish is in fine shape, I think it should be left that way. On the other hand, I would rather have a nice looking re-plated razor than one with a very worn original finish. That being said, your viewpoint is every bit as valid as mine.

Erik Redd and Jayaruh like this.
  19. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Good point and I agree, we can have 2 different views and still share in the same passion for shaving. On that note, you keep buying those sexy (spendy) re-plates and I'll stick to my grungy (cheap) originals. We're like the Ying and Yang of wetshaving! Ahahahahaha.

SHAVE ON!

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We often forget that these "valuable" razors were disposable products. The coveted 1959 red dot fatboy (aka the 195 adjustable) sold for $1.95, or in today's money, less than $16.

Replating an old razor gives it a thicker, better coating than it had from the factory, and gives grungy razors a new lease on life.

The car analogy above was perfect. If you have an old car with a pristine original paint job, why not keep it that way? But, if the paint's peeling and it had orange peel problems to begin with, why not repaint it and give it a seven layer clear coat for good measure?

As far as value goes, replating typically adds the value of the plating, plus the "good condition" value of the razor.

So yeah, in most cases, the razor value will increase, provided you got a bargain on the original razor because of it's plating loss.