Leaving a blade in your razor...?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by btbill, Sep 24, 2013.

1. btbill

btbill Member

I've read that you should remove the blade after you shave as the blade may rust/corrode and mess up your stainless steel razor...
    How long do you leave a blade in ?
    I usually replace it every 3 days...

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As a matter of habit, I remove the blade from my razor following each shave. It gets rinsed well, as do all the disassembled razor parts, and towel dried. Ready to go for the next shave!
    Rust-staining supposedly can be an issue if left in contact for an extended time. I have not experienced rusty blades and razor staining firsthand, and have only seen examples in online photos.

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I always remove my blades and leave them in a dixie cup. I also dry off my 3 piece razors and leave them out to dry. I leave my TTO razors open too.

BlaydRunner likes this.
  4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I leave the blade in my double edge razor (Gillette Long Handled Adjustable). No rust problems on the blade or razor.
    And I go weeks on a blade. Blades last longer for me as I shave less area than most folks (guys and gals).

Single edge blades tend to rust fairly quickly though if not dried after a shave.

5Savages and maltedmilk like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Back when I had only one razor (5-6 years ago) I would leave the blade in it for the whole week - no rust issues what so ever.

6. Ryan B

Depends on what they're coated with. On the Weber thread at the site we shall not mention, I read a few suggestions saying that those razors will rust if blades are left in there. I don't see that being a problem with nickel or chrome razors.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I never take a DE blade out of a razor until it is headed to the bin.

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I do take the blade out and rinse it after each shave but I place it back in the razor. I've never had any rust or staining problems.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I thought that was due to impurities in the die...no wait, that was the Pils razor.

Regardless I leave the blade in all of my razors. Never had rust issues. The exception to the rule are carbon steel blades, those I take out and dry between shaves.

10. Ryan B

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think my stuff will any worse off for it.

11. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    FIRST: Personal experience trumps others' opinions... every time!
    SECOND: Here are my opinions.

CODSWALLOP

EXACTAMUNDO!

"Exactamundo"... ? Happy Days flash back? What the heck was that? :innocent

Aaaaaaaay!

jeraldgordon and Chuck F like this.
  12. Star

Star Active Member

I change my blade out every two to three days and have never had a problem.

I make sure that I rinse the razor off well after every use (don't leave soap on it), give it a light shake, and put it up to dry.

brit likes this.
  13. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I tend to rinse whichever razor I use after use, disassemble, dry with a towel and then reassemble. Kind of in the middle somewhere considering the other comments left.
    I DO take particular attention to carbon steel blades being REALLY dry. I look at it, not as a chore, but a chance to examine and feel the craftsmanship and engineering marvel I am attacking my body with. When you take to your body with a razor sharp piece of metal, it becomes personal !!!!!
    :signs136:

maltedmilk likes this.
  14. tom myers

tom myers Member

If you are using carbon steel blades, you likely will get rust if you don't take out the blade and dry it. If you use stainless steel blades and a nickel or chrome plated razor, there is nothing that is going to rust.

I use a hundred year old Gem Junior Bar razor and PTFE coated stainless steel Gem blades and I simply rinse and wipe off the razor after the shave but don't take out the blade. I mostly wipe off the razor so that it looks nicer hanging from the chrome plated stand along with a nice looking brush. The blade stays in the razor through twenty or thirty shaves after which time I remove and discard the old blade and take the opportunity to clean the razor rather thoroughly. I do get a certain amount of soap "goop" under the blade but it does not seem to degrade the quality of the shave.

I've been following this routine for several years now without any sign of rust or corrosion of any sort. I followed this same routine when I used to use a DE razor, however I didn't get as many shaves from each blade as I do with the SE blades that I've described.

Regards,
    Tom

maltedmilk and 178-bplatoon like this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I always leave my blade in (much less risk of cutting yourself, dropping the blade, etc. etc. etc.) and I put in a new one only once a week. I've never had rust problems except with carbon steel SE blades. Otherwise, just rinse the blade in the razor and let it air dry.

Chuck F likes this.
  16. F. Dragos

F. Dragos Active Member

What about the "Don't wipe the blade" statement that is present on some razor blades ? The only argument that I can think of would be that if you do wipe the blade with paper / fabric then minute particles may stick on its edge.

17. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Since I use a different razor every day the blade comes out, gets dried in a hand towel and goes in a small plastic container until the next morning when it goes in that days choice of razor.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Same here. No reason to fuss much about it. :)

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My DE blades(SS) stay in a week(5-7 days) with no removal,just a rinsing and in the last year I've begun blow drying them in place inside of the razor..I use 3 piece razors and just loosen the head a bit rinse, blow dry, then retighten...Haven't had any problems with rust...
    When I was using my EverReady 1924 SE everyday I would remove,rinse and dry the blade by patting it dry with a towel after every shave...I used a Gem SS blade..
    FYI I no longer used my SE because stupid Walgreens no longer sells Gem SE blades or any other kind of SE blade for that matter....:(

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Any change of mind from what you read before and what you've just read here? ;)

maltedmilk likes this.