Obligatory Aeropress thread

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Feb 13, 2007.

1. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Just ordered my Aeropress. What are you guys doing to me? :rolleyes: Before you know it, I'll be pressing some Aqua Velva over some Valobra s/s. Hey, wait a minute... Honey!.... get my lab coat!

2. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Think that was a mistake........when you have perfection.....the only way you can go is down:(

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Aeropress technique update:

...........this is how I've been doon it lately

1. Fine (almost espresso) grind
    2. 10 - 12 oz Boiling water outta microwave.....cooled for about 30 seconds.
    3. 3 heaping tsp coffee
    4. HOT water on top of coffee to "2" on the Aeropress
    5. Muddle grounds and water together for about 15 sec.
    6. Fill with more HOT water to "3"
    7. Stir grounds and water together for about another 15 sec.
    8. Press for about 15 sec.
    9. Pour rest of water into cup

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That will get you a strong cup of coffee. :D

5. Rick- don't you add the rest of the boiled water to your cup? :confused:

6. rick

Were you an editor in a previous life ??
    .....post updated for correctness. :D

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

You fellas still enjoying the Aeropress's? I haven't used ours in a while.....might have to break it out :cool:

Would make a great Christmas gift as well :D

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Just made a tasty americano with espresso grind in the Aero Press....great cup :happy005

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Still use them at work and at home. Can't be beat.

10. rick

My Aeropress still goes to work with me at least 3 days a week.
    Moka Pot at home is getting some use but the Aeropress still rules.

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

My wife took ours over. She works third shift, and uses the Aeropress four or five nights a week.

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

So this is not one of those home exercise equipment purchases? You know, the things you bought cuz they seemed like a good idea at the time...but then the novelty wears off.

Sounds like a PITA to me, but I do like a good cuppa.

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Michael, it is Very easy to use and it's a 2 minute cleanup or less.....the mount of work involved to get a great cup of coffee is insignificant when the results are considered..... IMHO :)

It's built quite well and should last a long time too. A great purchase for $25.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Neale, I asked that because you said...

Just don't need more "stuff" cluttering up the place. :)

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hahaha,

Yes, I hadn't used ours in a while :o....because we bought the espresso machine and it is able to get a better shot and extract the oils in the coffee more effectively. It did cost a LOT more than $25 dollars though.....and the Aero Press does make a superb cuppa joe for the price...;)

I just used our Aero Press the other day, it does make a very smooth.... non-bitter and clean shot (cleaner than the espresso machine most of the time) though and seems to work well with most grinds for me.

Prior to getting our espresso machine we used the Aero Press daily and we were always happy with the results :)

Before that it was drip, or French press at home and coffee from coffee shops.

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Wait...all you get is a shot? I drink half a pot (drip) before I even shower! Then, a full pot in a thermos to take to work.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

The shots are concentrated like espresso, you can add water and dilute it to make an Americano, you can make maybe 4-6oz of concentrate at a time.....depending one the size pot you currently make you may have to make 2 batches with the Aero Press to fill your thermos....

A 1oz. shot will make one cup, I like my coffee stronger though and usually do a double ;)

It's a little more work Michael, so it may not be for you....it will make better coffee than your drip machine though so it's a trade off.

You could also just make the concentrate to take with you to work, and add hot water there according to how strong you like it......................

............or just slam the concentrated shots ;)

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, I could always just use it on weekends when I have time to relax and enjoy. Now if I just had a clue what an Americano was. Is that like a, you know, cup of coffee? This conversation reminds me of the TV commercial in the upscale coffee shop where the woman just wants a "large". :rolleyes:

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

I think you would enjoy it, perhaps as a weekend treat like you stated......you may find yourself drinking stronger coffee though due to the better / less bitter flavor :)

Here's a Wiki description of a Caffe' Americano......

Hehehe, I always say large when I go to charbucks ;)

20. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I've somehow managed to avoid buying one of these, but it's getting harder.