After shaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Dark Vapor, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

One of my memories from childhood, is my Dad's love of Old Spice aftershave. The annual Christmas stocking stuffer from me was a decanter of Old Spice. I still love the scent of it, as it reminds me of him. I was wondering about your experiences with various aftershaves.
    I've seen many brands priced between $7 and $100. I'd like to stay on the lower side of that pricing scale! Of course, there are the old brands of Clubman, Aqua Velva, and Old Spice.
    I was seeking advice from my fellow shavers on a great aftershave that you really enjoy.
    Thank you :)

preidy, 178-bplatoon and BamaT like this.
  2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum, Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, Masters Bay Rum, Lucky Tiger Aspen, Clubman Lime Sec, Osage Rub, Clubman Special Reserve and Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic are several that I use and are inexpensive.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Guerlain Habit Rouge...expensive but super top drawer........
    But even as great as I think Habit Rouge is.....Old Spice Classique Cologne is my favorite, bar none...and it reminds me of my Pop also, which makes it priceless...;)

BamaT and Dark Vapor like this.
  4. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

proraso green aftershave splash is a real crowd pleaser. really nice stuff.

BigT and Dark Vapor like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Speick is really nice. Krampert's Finest is an excellent bay rum and the best aftershave I have ever used. Great scent and skincare all in one.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Big fan of Brut. My wife says it makes me smell like me :)

gorgo2, Dark Vapor and BigT like this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It doesn't get any better than Aqua Velva Ice Blue for me. I love the stuff. I use Old Spice from time to time but on me it just smells like cinnamon and it's just not a favorite. One AS I always liked is English Leather but I haven't seen it in a store in quite a while. I see it's still available online so I'll break down and order some eventually.

8. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

On the lower price side, I like the Gillette Cool Wave. It's kinda peppery and spicy smelling, and my wife really likes it. I put some Glycerine in it to help with moisturizing a bit. I think it's around $5.oo at Wal-Mart. Also Barbasol has a nice aftershave that is really cooling menthol called Pacific Rush that runs $1.70 at Dollar General stores. They have another scent called Brisk, that has a powdery barbershop smell to it. They both contain menthol for a nice cool rush. I tend to be on the frugal side as well. Not that you asked, but since were talking frugality, one of my all time favorite shaving creams is Erasmic which can be had for under $4.00 if your ever looking for a cheaper, but effective cream. I do love Old Spice as well. Ice Blue Aqua Velva and Aqua Velva Ice Sport are in my rotation as well.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  9. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

My top AS Splashes are: The only one that is expensive (by volume) is Alt. Innsbruck $37/100ml

1. Floid Blue
    2. Proraso Green
    3. 4711
    4. Alt. Innsbruck

Dark Vapor likes this.
  10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Here's my list.

1. Krampert's Frostbite.
    2. Barbon.
    3. Clubman.
    4. Captain's Choice Lime.
    5. Floid Blue.
    6. Thayer's Witch Hazel.

Richard Jackson and Dark Vapor like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

In splashes I like Masters Bay Rum, Old Spice, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, Aqua Velva Musk, and Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Captain's Choice is the most expensive at around $18 for 4 oz. Aqua Velva Ice Sport seems to really feel nice on my face, scent is subtle when applied and fades quickly. Bay Rum is my favorite scent.

In balms, I like Nivea Original, which isn't very expensive.

I'd like to try some of the other Bay Rums BigT mentioned, and will eventually.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Another vote for Krampert's Finest Bay Rum!
    I have some Frostbite on the way, so I'll know about that one soon.

Paul Turner and Dark Vapor like this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Any of the Clubman aftershaves that I've tried with Special Reserve being my least liked..Out of the "old school" locally available AfterShaves I think "Brut"(original and dominant) are my least favorite and "Old Spice" being one of my favorites....+1 on Barbasol "Brisk" it's very "Skin Bracer" for less money...I'm not frugal just cheap...:happy097:

Dark Vapor likes this.
  14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Believe it or not our wally world stocks English Leather.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  15. feeltheburn

Nice. I'm pretty sure I looked through their AS section and didn't see it but I'll make sure to look again next time I'm there.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

English Leather :git:......Is it still great, or have they reformulated it beyond recognition?? I hope its still 'Smokin'.....I might have to hit your W-W when I get stateside again...;)

BTW...another vote for Krampert's Bay Rum...

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I personally don't use it but my father has been using it for 50 years and has never said anything about it being reformulated. Maybe someone else knows.

18. feeltheburn

From the pics I saw online, it looks like it may still come in a glass bottle. I need to get some.

19. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

English Leather still comes in a glass bottle with the classic wooden top. I have a bottle here.
    It's usually easier to find around Christmas in gift sets.

feeltheburn likes this.
  20. feeltheburn

Nice. I bet you could put a knot in that cap when the bottle's empty :)