SoS: October 14, 2013 - October 20, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Prep: Hot Shower/ St. Ives blemish control apricot scrub
    Pre Shave: Homemade Pre Shave oil with Glycerin, Pepperment Essential, and Tea Trea
    Soap: LEA Shave Cream
    Brush: Local Flea Market Find! No name badger brush :)
    Razor: Gillette Slim
    Blade: Astra platinum
    Aftershave: Proraso Pre/Post

And a special thanks to my friend mbastings for the LEA Cream and Astra blades!
    sotd.jpg

ram57, Llyr, dinatali and 15 others like this.
  2. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Makes me want to use my EJ DE89, great photo :)

3. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thanks!

I had not used mine for several weeks. I was enjoying my injectors and Techs. I had forgotten how efficient and smooth this razor is. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Llyr, Weeper Warrior and Leo K. like this.
  4. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

That bowl of lather looks good enough to eat!

Llyr, Weeper Warrior and Leo K. like this.
  5. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

It was the first one I took out. Sent the others to a friend so he can do some experiments. What a blade!!

Llyr, Weeper Warrior and Ryan B like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Wednesday

Hot shower
    Chubbz I
    Palmolive SC
    R-41
    Schick (6)
    Cold water rag
    Skin Bracer Blue

2-passes = CCS.

Time to toss the blade.

[​IMG]

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod101613.jpg
    Dove Men's Face Wash​
    Col. Conk Bay Rum Shave Soap​
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger​
    Gillette New w/bar handle​
    Shark Super Chrome (16)​
    CWR​
    Dickinson's Witch hazel​
    Pinaud Clubman AS​
    Day sixteen of the federal shutdown, and day sixteen of this Shark Super Chrome blade. They may make an agreement on ending the shutdown today, but this blade will continue tomorrow. The Col. Conk Bay Rum soap lathered nicely with the Frank Shaving brush. Two passes and touch-ups made this a near BBS shave. I finished off with the Dickinson's WH and Pinaud Clubman AS. I hand-stropped the blade and set it aside for tomorrow. Tomorrow I will do the maiden voyage with my new Gillette Slim. I'm looking forward to that.​

ram57, Llyr, oscar11 and 14 others like this.
  8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have to admit that I am probably more to blame than the blades itself. But so long as I find blades that perform better with my lack of proper technique, I will probably pass on these blades and look for something more suitable.
    Although on today's shave, they performed slightly better

Llyr and crackstar like this.
  9. Norseman

I'm sorry, but from where I am sitting, this is plain wrong. There are a lot of talent for photography in these threads, and personally I think you are among the best

I really enjoy your pictures and your style.
    I am more than average interested in photography and have yet to master the art of shaving in this field, but I take great joy in watching those who have.

When that is said, I agree with the rest of your statement :)

ram57, Llyr, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  10. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

SOTD 10-16-13

Shower
    Soap: Shea Moisture Utility Soap
    Shampoo/Conditioner: Suave For Men Ocean Charge 2n1

Shave
    Prep: Hot shower, Shea Moisture Utility soap as pre-shave, Hot towel, Corn Huskers Lotion
    Brush: Van Der Hagen Boar
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat soap (bowl lathered)
    Razor: Merkur 23C
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
    Passes: WTG/XTG/ATG/RXTG
    Post: Warm water rinse, Cold water rinse, Alum Block, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Old Spice Aftershave

Hump day shave today. Experimented with bowl lathering MWF, got okay results, it was a little foamy for my taste, I believe MWF works 10 times better face lathered, in my opinion at least. Used the Merkur with the Gillette Silver Blue blade, this blade is strange. The first shave with it was great, the second shave was poor, it left a lot of stubble, but today the third shave it was comfortable and it left me with a DFS, I'm gonna use it a few more times just to see what happens. I got a couple little weepers on my usual trouble spot on the left side of my neck, nothing major. Finished up with a splash of Old Spice, smells great. Have a great day, everyone!

[​IMG]

ram57, Llyr, oscar11 and 16 others like this.
  11. Norseman

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
    Razor: Merkur HD
    Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
    Brush: Merkur Futur
    Cream: Fitjarsoap Lighthouse
    Aftershave: Which Hazel
    Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Lighthouse Aftershave Balm

I must unlearn what I have learned. I really do, because what I have learned is not what I ought to have learned
    First it is the no pressure rule. Apparently my idea of no pressure is too much pressure. And that explains why my whiskers sound like Freddy Mercury and David Bowie during the shave.

Second it is the only shave once on the same area rule.
    As we all know, it is better to re-lather than making a few more strokes with the razor. But I have to admit that I seldom have the patience for this

Today I tried to focus on not breaking these rules, and I have to admit it was a more comfortable shave. Not as close a shave, but close enough to pass inspection.

16.10.2013.JPG

ram57, Llyr, oscar11 and 15 others like this.
  12. mjemec

mjemec Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Prep: shower, Bulldog Original face wash
    • Razor: Gillette Fatboy
    • Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
    • Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
    • Soap: De Vergulde Hand
    • Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street

ram57, Llyr, oscar11 and 15 others like this.
  13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Wednesday 10/16

Hot shower
    RazoRock glycerin
    RazoRock Cumba Cheech
    Omega 48
    Gillette old style open comb
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Kramperts

A five star DFS

IMG_0002.JPG

ram57, Llyr, oscar11 and 14 others like this.
  14. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I tried so hard to use Arko. I had it in this bowl which fits in my shave stand. I just had to toss it and put something else that is super easy but smells much better. Do not get me wrong, watching cost or being frugal has it's merits. However, I would rather spend the same amount for a puck of VDH before Arko!
    ~ Anyway! I put something just as easy to face lather but is better smelling and doesn't dry my face out. Provence Sante (green tea).
    ~ Used my CK aluminum billet handle with a black badger (TGN) knot to work up the goodness on my face.
    ~ My favorite Gillette New (nothing but base metal on the beast) using a Personna 74 (on 3 or 4, feels like 4).
    ~ BB&B Aftershave Soother, Woodland. Love this scent and I'll probably say it every time I use it, I wish they still made this scent.

[​IMG]

fishcrow, ram57, Llyr and 16 others like this.
  15. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Old Spice was nice today!

I gave Personna Labs another try great blade. Now I guess I'm going to have to buy some!

IMG_20131016_125923_711 (Copy).jpg

fishcrow, srpavko, ram57 and 15 others like this.
  16. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Does the MdC smell like Noxzema to you? I read that on the forum somewhere and it has been keeping me from trying it.

Very nice photo, BTW. :happy096:

Llyr and crackstar like this.
  17. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I don't think so...It is definitely a strong scent. Basically Rosemary, Lavender and Mint in that order...I could see how someone may potentially get that feeling with the strength of the scent right out of the jar, but it mellows slightly on the face and actually gives a mild cooling sensation as well. This definitely doesn't carry the artificial/medicinal smell of Noxzema. Worth a try if you want to spring for it. According to other posts I have seen, the glass jar will last you 125-150 shaves also. That being said, its really not too expensive!

ram57, Llyr, Norseman and 1 other person like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One of the two remaining Gillettes I still own. My favorite bare-metal beast. ;)

[​IMG]

ram57, Llyr, oscar11 and 4 others like this.
  19. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Love it! Nothing beats it IMO. You just don't worry about anything but a great shave.

Llyr, wknicholas and crackstar like this.
  20. KLF

KLF Doctorin

1710-001.jpg

Thursday October 17 2013

Prep : Proraso Greetea&Oat Preshave cream + hot towel
    Scuttle : Michal Yoresh
    Soap : L'Occitane Cade
    Brush : Omega Pro 48
    Razor : Gillette English Tech
    Blade : Q-Ball ( Israeli Personna)
    Post : cold water+ Tarr + D.R. Harris Sandalwood AS splash

Another very good shave today. In the past I had issues lathering with L'Occitane Cade soap but now with the Omega 48 brush, I got a wonderful, oily lather which together with the Q-Ball blade and the Tech razor helped me achieve a DFS in 2 passes. Weekend, here I come !!!

Tdmsu, fishcrow, Norseman and 12 others like this.