After shaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Dark Vapor, Oct 13, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I am not really a fan of most aftershaves—yeah, I remember my dad's Mennen Skin bracer and Old spice—fond memories from the scent.
    The ones I do prefer tend to be more mildly scented as I often apply post-shave balms. Even the old school 'Barber Shop' stuff—Pinaud Clubman, Osage Rub—packs an olfactory punch to the senses initially, but dissipates quickly.

My 3 sons evaluate most of my collection and aren't hesitant to offer an opinion. "Crusty old barber shop."(Clubman),"...that one smells like grandpa." (Aqua Velva), "Fruit Pebbles.." (4711), "Retirement home janitor's closet" (Osage Rub), "Spicy, but weird...smells like an air freshener" (my own Bay Rum :angry019: )— Needless to say, a tough crowd! ;)

2. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

It's nice to hear some love for English Leather. That's one of the brands in my rotation.
    I've been using it since way back when I first started shaving. I am glad I have had so many great recommendations here.
    I look forward to trying some of these!

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

At Walmart the English Leather is usually kept in the cologne and perfume aisle and not the shaving aisle. Just thought I'd give a head's up.

feeltheburn and Dark Vapor like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Ahhh...I was looking in the wrong place. I might need to make a trip there.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Gary did just that. Check it out ---> *click*

feeltheburn and Dark Vapor like this.
  6. feeltheburn

I guess it's true. There's nothing new under the sun. :)

Dark Vapor likes this.
  7. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Today at CVS, I was checking out the shaving supplies aisle.
    They had Aqua Velva Ice Blue on sale for $4.49, so I decided to pick up a bottle.
    I had never used this aftershave before. I really like it! It has a nice cooling feel on the face and the scent is great also.
    My wife also likes the scent! ;)

Paul Turner, Raven312 and feeltheburn like this.
  8. feeltheburn

I love the Aqua Velva.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  9. Wes Murphy

Wes Murphy Well-Known Member

English Leather seems to have been reformulated. It smells much weaker than it did in the 60's when I wore it. Doesn't last very long, either.

10. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

My go to favorite is Pinaud Clubman. It is my weekend AS as work in a no fragrance zone. I also like Osage Rub, Ogalla Bay Rum, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, Barbasol Brisk and Pacific Rush (didn't know it was available at dollar General), Old Spice, Masters Bay Rum.

I still need to try Florida Water, Pinaud VIBR, and Kramperts. I really like St John's Bay Rum, but it's a bit pricey. I'm sure I will find some more that I "need" as well.

11. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Just plan old Witch Hazel followed by an AS Balm such as Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Nivea Revitalizing Double Action Balm, Avon Musk, Wild Country or Black Suede Leather.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  12. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I like something with little or no scent, with a little moisturizer. Right now I just use an alcohol splash followed by a little lotion, or just a cold water splash. For some time now, I've used only a very mild soap on my face, or no soap at all, to let my face self-regulate as much as possible. I'm thinking about giving witch hazel and aloe a try.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Witch hazel sounds like what you're looking for. I will never be without some.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  14. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

Mennen Skin bracer and Old spice Is all I use for now.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Careful with the Florida Water and especially the VIBR both can burn like fire if you've had a less than smooth/irritation free shave...:)

16. MACS

MACS Member

I currently own:

Skin Bracer (the classic green one).
    Aqua Velva Musk.
    Aubrey Organics North Woods.
    Spice (knockoff version of Old Spice made by ShopRite).
    Florida Water.

My go to during summer is the Skin Bracer. That, plus Polo Ralph Lauren and Avon Wild Country were the scents I grew up with because that's all my dad used. He also used Quorum by Antonio Puig, but mainly the other ones. So, Skin Bracer is my go to scent because of the memories.

During fall I personally prefer spice over musk, so the Old Spice knockoff gets used up fast. Even in no shave days. It only costs 2$ so why not.

Out of the AS I have now, Aubrey Organics North Woods is probably my favorite. Almost no sting, great pine-lavender scent and great moisturizing properties. It's got witch hazel and glycerin, I think.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I enjoy Clubman.Great scent for late fall&winter. One thing I read about Clubman is that those brands that sell for high prices keep trying to match Clubman, and they just can't.
    I remember the Old Spice decanter that you mention. I like to stay with those great old memories, as I myself get older.

18. Paul Turner

I might try Old Spice in the warm/hot climates. But just the original kinds. I mean, that's what I was most used to when I tried them years ago.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Avon Leather.

20. Paul Turner

That's a shame.

Spyder likes this.