SoS: October 14, 2013 - October 20, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 13, 2013.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Saturday:
    hot shower
    Homemade PSO
    Schick Krona
    Feather Hi Stainless Platinum (1)
    VDH boar
    GFT Spanish Leather cream (in the scuttle)
    Alum
    Thayer's alcohol free unscented w/aloe
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

I've picked up several vintage razors recently but hadn't tried one yet so today I popped a brand new Feather blade in the Schick Krona with just a weensy bit of trepidation. The first pass through the warm GFT cream was deliciously smooth. So smooth in fact, that I got going too fast on the second pass and nicked my lip. Terrific feel and a great shave with this nicely balanced long handled razor.

JayPo007, Leo K., DLreno and 15 others like this.
  2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Prep: warm face wash with African Black Soap
    Cream: Proraso Green
    Brush: Parker synthetic
    Razor: Maggard m10
    Blade: Gillette sharp edge yellow (3)
    As: Proraso Green splash, Proraso Green post

I decided to have a Proraso day. The shave went great - I thought. A few minutes after I was done, a couple weepers opened on my neck and I started to burn. The Proraso post and alum block helped. I am surprised that I misjudged this shave. It was nice and smooth and nearly BBS at first.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382187442.454996.jpg

JayPo007, MoAllen, Leo K. and 16 others like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Barbasol Razor
    Permasharp Super
    Oscar11 Purple Omega
    Arko SS
    Alum
    Superior 70

:happy088:

JayPo007, Tdmsu, MoAllen and 16 others like this.
  4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Saturday:

Prep: Hot shower, Crown Co. Supreme Glide Pre-shave lotion
    Brush: Beeline Boar
    Soap: VDH Unscented
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (4)
    Passes: WTG, ATG
    Post: Cold water rinse, Dickinson's WH, Pinaud Clubman AS
    Cologne: The Third Man by Caron

After the issues I had yesterday with weepers, I decided to make it a simple 2-pass shave today; after the issues I had yesterday with my ASB not absorbing, I decided to pick up some Clubman AS as a change of pace from the usual balms I've used. I also realized I've switched to a different body wash (Aveeno Unscented Dry Skin Care) for the cooler months, and its extra moisturizers might have been a factor in my face not taking to the balm particularly well.

5. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD Oct 19
    Prep: Hot towel
    Razor: Weishi 9306
    Blade: Derby Extra Stainless Steel (day 5)
    Brush: Wilkinson Sword
    Cream: Musgo Real Classic
    Passes: 2 (WTG, XTG) + touch up

I should have put in a new blade... no irritation but a few nicks and I didn't want to risk a third pass, which is unfortunate because I think it may have yielded a BBS.

Lather wasn't as good as the last shave and added some cream for the second pass. I think my brush was too wet to start off with... learning curve stuff
    All in all no complaints with today's shave!

6. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Saturday
    hot shower
    Saville Row 3824
    Proraso PSC
    QCS Vetiver SS
    Ever-Sharp Hydro-Magic/Pella coated ems (3)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Humphrey's Organic WH
    Stirling Vetiver ASL

Great 2 pass face,1 pass dome for BBS all around !!! :D

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 DD
    Edwin Jagger SS
    Omega knot

About as good as a shave can get. I think this brush is going to turn out to be a nice one. If I remember correctly the bush it came out of was listed as having a 27mm knot but it isn't. Omega seems to be a bit flaky about knot size. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

Llyr, JayPo007, Tdmsu and 19 others like this.
  8. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Revamped Rhodium Plated Fat Boy (S6)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (D2)
    Brush: 30mm HMW Silvertip
    Pre: Musgo Real Lime Basil Oil Soap
    Soap: St Charles Shave Dagger
    Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

9. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Saturday morning, October 19, 2013

Schick E2 Injector with Personna blade (4)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse and a little
    Thayers Original Witch Hazel for a DFS!

B B 34.JPG

ram57, Richard Jackson, Llyr and 17 others like this.
  10. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

PRE: Hot Towel + MR GLO Soap + Homemade PSO
    BRUSH: M&F Blonde
    SOAP: RR King Louis Lavender
    RAZOR: 40's Style Rocket
    BLADE: Personna (Blue)

SS_131019.jpg

11. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Saturday 10-19-2013

7/8 DA/Hart Steel - Cocobolo
    Proraso PSC
    Tabac SC
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Omega 31064 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    British Sterling Cologne

Received the Hart Steel Scales yesterday but a funny thing happened since I ordered them. I was lured to the e-bay website and it had it's way with me. I was taken over by those old demons and left with four straights to refurbish. The cocobolo scales which were going to replace those ugly cane scales on my Loeffler & Sykes were used on the DA and the scales that were on the DA were then used on the W.H. Morley I picked up which I received yesterday as well. The Morley was very distressed and took about 6 hours to clean up. The scales on the Morley were those disgusting cane scales and in even more gross condition than the blade. So.... the Loeffler still has it's original scales. (My SWMBO likes them [yuck] so, I guess they will stay for awhile.) The other three straights should arrive today but my fingers are so sore today they may have to wait for awhile to get cleaned up and honed. (I still have to re-set the bevel and hone the Morley.) I can't complain though....I love this stuff! :D

Shave Photo 517SM.jpg

12. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day, Saturday October 20, 2013
    Prep: Brush soaked in warm water, warm shower
    Razor: Matador Corto Toro Mastiff
    Blade: Shark Super Stainless Steel
    Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Black Tea
    Brush: Vintage Stanley Home Products restored with TGN 22mm Fan High Density Finest Two-Band Badger Knot
    AS: Aqua Velva Musk
    [​IMG]
    Today's pic says it all, it is much about the brotherhood as it is the shave, although with Jack I feel more like his old burned out uncle than a brother. My shaving brothers know that my house is always open for them and their family when in the Chicago area.

Jack was kind enough to send me a sample of the Petal Pusher Fancies Black Tea, along with some of my beloved Shark Stainless Steel blades. I had never read the scent description until just before typing. On their site it is is "A strong, striking scent blend of Black Tea Leaves, Tobacco, Bergamot, and Musk. Well balanced and very much like true black tea." They are spot on, although the initial scent when building the lather is very much like a fine Earl Grey.

Tabac lovers don't hate me, but this is the scent which Tabac should smell like. This has become my number two favorite soap. I must order a puck as well as the Dandy Candy Mustache Wax.

ram57, Llyr, JayPo007 and 17 others like this.
  13. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

IMG_20131018_175805_685 (Copy) (Copy).jpg

Razor: Easy Rider
    Blade: Schick Super Stainless
    Brush: BF Greenie
    Stick: DVH
    AS: Lime Sec

My first shave with the Easy Rider, it is very mild was I DFS+. I missed a spot on my neck or it would have been perfect. I shaved pretty fast this morning and had no nik...nik....nik...nik....fffff....INDIANS!

14. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Totally agree...Thanks for sharing!

Llyr and Jayaruh like this.
  15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Saturday 10/19

Hot shower was needed today because Mr Arthur has been visiting. Every joint aches.
    RazoRock glycerin
    RazoRock Bees Knees
    Vulfix 28
    1920 Gillitte new style open comb
    Gillette 7 o'clock Green
    Ogalla Bay Rum
    Decent DFS
    Everyone have a great weekend.

IMG_0003.JPG

ram57, Richard Jackson, Llyr and 16 others like this.
  16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
    Razor: Bakelite Slant
    Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock Black
    Brush: Frank Shaving Chubby
    Cream: TOOBS Coconut
    Aftershave: Krampert’s Bay Rum
    Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Lighthouse Aftershave Balm

It’s been three and a half day since my last shave, and a perfect opportunity to use the Bakelite Slant Bar Razor. And loaded with the black 7 o’clock blade it was a real treat. Too bad I am a little hesitant to use it. Because if I drop it, I break it.
    I wouldn’t mind investing in a 3D printer and make a copy of it. But it is probably more difficult than that J

I also face lathered cream for the first time, and that worked very well. Absolutely something I will do again. It really produced an excellent coat of lather, and was a joy to shave with. The down side was that the TOOBS cream started to itch/burn on my third pass. I am starting to suspect that my skin is developing a sensitivity issue in my senior years. I have been noticing irritation more and more lately.
    Hopefully it is just my lack of proper technique that is roughing up my skin and not the products.

The Krampert’s Bay Rum aftershave is just getting better and better. Way to go Mr. Krampert, you have made a great product

19.10.213.JPG

17. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Saturday morning, October 19, 2013

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
    Proglide cartridge (8)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    Arko soap, lather with hot water—
    Witch Hazel
    Gillette Cool Wave

I thank the Shave God's for such a relaxing, easy going and DFS+ shave on this fine Saturday morning! Aces!

[​IMG]

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Saturday

(no pic today)

Hot shower using Neutral bar soap for face and body.
    Mühle R89 coupled with Viking's Sword (2).
    Florena Men Comfort SC whipped with Semogue 1520 boar brush in Steve Woodhead shallow mug.
    2 passes followed by luke rinse, Ajanta alum applied for 1 minute, then rinsed off with cold water.
    Finished off with Nivea for Men Sensitive ASB. Rest of face moisturized with Nivea for Men Face Cream.

I have slow beard growth. I shave everyday, more or less. So I figured, would it suffice with only 2 passes? I tried with the first pass going diagonal downwards, from ear to chin. Second pass normal adjusted ATG. Worked quite nice. It's not BBS, but it's a good DFS+ and my skin felt less irritated than it sometimes can feel when I've been too aggressive in my my pursuit for the best shave.

So what have I learned? 2 passes can suffice. 3 gives just the extra removal for a more smooth experience, however not careful it can give some minor irritation on the trouble spots (my chin). I might mix those as my mood demands :)

My new bar soap is quite good. It's very cheap (3 bars for $1.5) and devoid of harmful chemistry. I like cheap products. They attract me like honey attracts Winnie the Pooh. I've stumbled upon so many great products that costs so little that it's become a sport of mine, so locate great products for a bargain. Call me silly.

Have a nice weekend :)

19. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Always enjoy your pics...Thanks!

Llyr and Tdmsu like this.
  20. mjemec

mjemec Well-Known Member

Lovely brush handle.

Llyr, Tdmsu and oscar11 like this.