Obligatory Aeropress thread

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yeah well...me too, until now. Just ordered one. We shall see. :D

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

:signs107 :happy096

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Well if you don't want it.

Is it possible to get a cup of coffee flavored coffee?

4. Heimskringla

Heimskringla New Member

The Aeropress is a pretty decent little device. You can get crema (or perhaps pseudo-crema) if your grinder is good and you're lucky.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Atta Boy!

Now to work on Sparky. :D

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Aeropress arrived today. Two 10 oz cups of Americano (so far) this evening. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!! Though I may be up all night. :o

Observations/questions...

With my microwave, it takes 3 minutes on high to get 175° water. That is just about the perfect temp though. Use a potholder to remove from the microwave! :)

I bought three extra packs of filters! Umm, THAT should last me a week or two!! :happy102

According to the instructions, one measure of finely ground coffee equals one measure of whole beans. That doesn't seem right, does it?

If you have a burr grinder set on fine, do you use more whole beans (as opposed to a medium grind) to get one scoop of ground coffee? My grinder has a hopper so it's hard to tell.

Having never had a latte, what's the recommended type of milk? Whole? Skim? 1%? Heavy cream? What?

All in all, an excellent cup of coffee!! Thanks for convincing me!

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Great, thanks Michael.

Now I have to add this to my wish list.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sweet,

Glad to hear you like it Michael :D I usually use a fine grind in my Aero Press and use 2 scoops of coffee grounds and the recommended water for a double....I like it strong though.....

as for the milk, I think we usually use whole milk as that is what we usually have on hand. I think I remember reading that skim produces better microfoam though....

Here is a pretty good read on milk and milk foaming techniques.....

The Aero Press is really great and makes a very good and drinkable cuppa joe...easy cleanup and doesn't take too much time in the morning when your in a rush :cool:

Congrats! on a great purchase that will serve you well :happy005

Note: the finer you grind the coffee.......the harder that plunger is to push down.....try to stay away from Very fine grinds ;)

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I still dont get it (and refuse to read the past 2 pages). So the aeropress makes some concentrated coffee to add to hot water to make an americano? A la my espresso maker? I havent had an americano, but I kinda just like a real cup of coffee.

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Yep,

More or less it makes an espresso like concentrate...you can add hot water to the coffee concentrate to make an Americano or milk for a Latte.......comes close to achieving the same results as an espresso machine minus the machine.

You use a 15-20 second brew time stirring the grounds into the water and it makes a really smooth concentrate that makes a great Americano

They are great for travel and camping too :cool:

11. JayKay

But you've got to froth milk to make a late.

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have no trouble doing that :) I think I remember reading that milk can be heated and then whipped? with a stick blender or something like that....

No microfoam, but may work??? I can steam with the Anita.

13. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I hear that an aerolatte is quite good for foaming milk.

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

BTW, chief, resistance is futile. :D

15. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Hey, that's my line! Everybody seems to love this thing, and espresso-ish beverages at home sounds great.

16. JayKay

But you have the Anita. You could just pull espresso shots and make a real americano. Get your $$$ worth. You've got to turn it on for the foam anyway.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice Bobby, that is the one I was trying to remember....I have read it works great too.

Yea, I usually do. I was just trying to provide some information to Michael as he asked about it.

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Man, that was good!!! Just had a cup of Americano from the Aeropress...with just a little shot of Irish Cream. I usually take it black, but this was REALLY good!

:eatdrink013

19. JayKay

Oh boy. Michaels hitting the bottle again. Step back everybody.

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Quit that! Now, I have to pull out my aged bottle of Kalua and a little Grand Marnier.