What are you eating and/or drinking today?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by MTgrayling, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

brisket.jpg

Smoking a brisket on my Weber Rocky Mountain 22.5. I have ice success with ribs, chicken,
    pork shoulder, Salmon-Brisket is a huge challenge. Sipping some Daisy Cutter Pale Ale while waiting for temp to rise to 190.

ChiefShaver and Ryan B like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Love 'em! Had some grilled last night with smoked pork chops!
    The peaches also make a nice chutney (add diced peaches, red bell pepper, onion, vinegar, olive oil, s&p, sprig of mint, cayenne (optional) for kick)...
    Wife made 'peach sorbet' today & I look forward to trying it tonight!

Ryan B likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:drool:

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Fired up the grill, tossed in some pecan chunks and proceeded to BBQ some chicken.

Ryan B likes this.
  6. Ryan B

Has anybody tried crock pot ribs? The ribs in my picture were made that way. It's my dad's recipe. Also pictured are arróz con habichuelas, and plantain. I love being half Puerto Rican.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My wife will put country ribs into the crock pot along with sauerkraut... mmmmm! Good!!

Ryan B likes this.
  8. Ryan B

Crock pot ribs are good, but they will never beat the smoky charcoal flavor IMHO.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

At a local Italian restaurant (earlier tonight): homemade papardelle with bolognese sauce and a nice glass of cab.

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. Ryan B

I killed a doe this morning. I saved the heart. I looked up methods on Youtube and ultimately decided to bread it and fry it.

I cut the heart into thin strips, put a half a cup of flour, some Creole seasoning, black pepper, and salt. I fried it until the meat was medium rare, toasted some bread, and threw some cheddar cheese on top. It was delicious. ;)

KLF and HolyRollah like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Potato soup! It's cold. 63... Since I left New Jersey for California anything under 70 is freeZing..

Ryan B and KLF like this.
  12. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

Ryan B and KLF like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There's a local gluten-free bakery not far from where I work, so I stopped by there to try their GF sourdough bread.
    We're a gluten-free household, so a good sourdough bread is a real rarity.
    Verdict: tangy and tasty. Toasted with butter or sliced & dipped in a good olive oil. My son, who has celiac, hadn't has any sourdough bread in over two years since diagnosed, so he was truly appreciative.
    The multigrain was pretty darned good too. It was the most I've ever spent on just two loaves of bread ($17.00+tax), but seeing my son go back for seconds & thirds was worth it. :)
    [​IMG]

Ryan B likes this.
  14. Ryan B

Stupid question, but does gluten free food taste different than gluten?

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ryan, the majority of gluten in most diets is found in products made from wheat (breads, pastries, pastas, pizza). So when making bread, you have to remove the 'regular' wheat flour and replace it with a combination of non-gluten containing flours such as rice, potato, sorghum, corn, etc. These flours all have tastes that are distinct from regular flour. So, to your question, there is a difference in flavors. Another difficulty, especially in bread-making, is gluten provides the elasticity or chewiness in baked goods. Take it out and you have to compensate with other ingredients. I find most GF breads to be denser, and not as fluffy as regular gluten-containing bread.

Ryan B likes this.
  16. Ryan B

I am lucky that I have no food allergies. But I have never tried gluten-free. I love food, so I will try it one of these days.

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's actually a healthy diet (removing gluten) and you will begin to see more and more cases of gluten-intolerance being diagnosed as more information is made available. Most GF foods are often 2-3x higher in price than the regular product.

18. Ryan B

Food that's horrible for you is cheaper than the healthy stuff. I wish I could go free range, but I'd go broke.

19. KLF

KLF Doctorin

We were invited to cholent today at my in-laws. It was so good I ate about 3 servings. Then we got back home and took a 3 hours afternoon nap. I'll skip dinner...

20. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Just made my first batch of chicken liver pate, and if I may say so. I'm quite proud of myself, I can't wait for my better half to come from work she loves the stuff :D

Robert Voss and HolyRollah like this.