Spyderco UF sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Stan-The Man, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Have any of you used a Spiderco UF sharpening stone for touching up your straight razors.

I have read a lot of good things about this hone. Fast cutting, cheap to buy and most importment puts a great edge on a razor.

I would like to here from you straight razor shavers.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

At the moment, I am only using a yellow coticule.

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have been thinking about picking one up after all the glowing reviews, haven't done so yet....I am currently very happy with the edge I am getting from the Eschers..but one of these days I would like to try one :o

Be sure to post a report here if you do get one, love to hear your thoughts :cool:

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I use a Chinese 12k to finish off my edges. Cost $30. A Spyderco at $129.00 is out of my price range. I have good things about them but have never had the chance to use them.

Raf

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Raf, a Spyderco 8" x 2" is like $39.99 plus shipping :)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32345-18910-1294.html

They are out of stock, but other places have them for the same price..

6. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

i do not use a straight but i do use the UF stones to keep my knives sharp. i use the triangle rods and after the first two rods, my knives are super sharp...after the UF stone, they are scary sharp. i could probably give them a few extra passes on the stones but i am afraid to find out what the results would be.

s~s

7. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Chinese 12k

I have a Chinese 12k and it developed a crack through the stone. I brought it back to this "wood store" for an exchange, they would not hear of it.
    The said it got waterloged and frozen (Bull Sh--). than the manager sugested I sent it to China for a replacement.

That is why I am looking for a new finishing stone. I picked up two barber hones from e-bay they are real junk. :mad::mad::mad:

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Dang sorry to hear about your 12k and yes that was some BS from the store. I would write a letter to corporate but I'm just mean that way:D Do you know what grit is the Spyderco 302?

Raf

9. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Thanks. So it is somewhere between 10k-12K. Well, if you fancy one then I would say go for it. I am happy with my 12k so I dont see myself getting another finishing stone. Let us know how it works for you.

Raf

11. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Ordering stone

Yea, I'm going to order a Spyderco Ultrafine Hone, anything is better than the hones I got from e-bay.

I check out the web sights for a place to order one. When I get it I will use it for a while and tell you how I like it.

O.K. I will log off now, my wallet is open and I have my credit card in hand.

With in 20 or so minutes I'll have it ordered. My wife just walked in. One less Christmas gift for her and a new hone for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. CatMan

CatMan Member

I've bought the Spyderco UF not too long ago, 10 days maybe. My shavings have significantly improved since I started to use it to fill the gap between the Norton 8k and the pasted strop. It was money well spent. I absolutely love this hone. Intend to use it for touch ups, too. In fact I did already process all my self honed razors with it. The difference was amazing!

13. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Thanks everyone--------I ordered the stone last night, I have a "gut feeling" this is going to be a good stone for touching up a slightly dull blade.

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Klaus,

Have you tried shaving right off the stone....skipping the pasted strop and just stropping on the linen / leather? I am curious what the shave feels like off the stone, I have been going straight from the stone to strop ( non pasted ) using my eschers and have been getting a Very smoooth shave....wonder if the Spyderco Ultrafine can yield similiar results?

Thanks!

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

+ another.....I would ask to speak to that guys boss.... That is lousy customer service there, and I am sure their management would like to hear why they are loosing a customer and potentially more.....

16. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

I called up toll free to the main HQ. The women in coustomer relations said they were sorry but the store I bought it in is not a company store it is a franchese (forgive spilling).

She said (just between you and I) from now on look at the products in your local store but buy the products online. The oneline store is a company store and they stick behind there products.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

Kudos to you Stanley, for trying to get some customer service, sorry to hear of your troubles as that was total BS...

You could try and cut up the 12K into some smalller hones / slurry stones for a new replacement....good thing is if you decide to replace it they are pretty cheap.

18. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

19. CatMan

CatMan Member

Didn't try this yet. It probably works. What I call my "pasted" strop, is actually just the back side of my hanging strop with some jewelers rouge and other wax/metal oxide compounds rubbed in.

20. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Klaus, understood... I use pastes like that as well from time to time...anyway, if you get a chance to try it sometime please post your findings with skipping the pasted strop and just going to the leather after the hone. Glad to hear your liking the Spyderco :D