Spyderco UF sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Stan-The Man, Nov 27, 2007.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

I just rescaled my second (brand new) "Double Arrow". Then I took a closer look at the edge and found that it was already pre-honed. Amazing for the price! So, I just gave it another 20-30 rounds on the Spyderco UF, then straight to the leather (my usual 50 passes) and go. Shaves just fine. The pasted strop was apparently optional.

2. Wildtim

Wildtim New Member

I would have sent the up that managers A@# then asked to talk to his boss. Not so much for the stone as for that crack, If his boss wasn' there even better they love being bothered at home!!!:mad:

3. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

A+ Stone

Got my Spyderco UF Stone yesterday. this morning I honed one of my razors an old Case 5/8 Razor it was not dull but was not up to par. Gave it 12 passes each way on the dry Spyderco. Then I stroped the razor as usual, preped my face as I would always do and shaved. Great shave, the hone worked GREAT! I am happy I bought this stone , cheap, easy to use and should last three lifetimes. There. is nothing I can add or say about this fine product. :happy108:happy108:happy108:happy108

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Hi Stanley. Since I see that all else has failed, I have a suggestion. Find out who the head dude is at this "wood store" and write to him/her. I don't mean the Head of Sales or the Head of Customer Service. I mean the top dog. Explain, politely of course, what happened - and especially how you were treated at the store. Obviously, you don't want that stone replaced with another just like it, but if I were writing the letter, I would ask for it to be replaced with a GOOD stone. At the very least, they should offer you a refund.

The grunts at most companies tend to jump a little higher when a "Presidential Complaint" filters down through the ranks. It doesn't always work, but it often does. Been there. And at the very least, perhaps the twit who accused you of freezing it (WHAT??!!) might get a new one reamed. Even if that's all that happens, there ought to be some satisfaction in that! :D

BTW, sure would be nice to know which "wood store" we're talking about here - might think twice before buying from them. And you should say THAT in your letter too! Tell 'em you just told 600+ people not to buy from XYZ Wood Store because of the way you were treated!

I HATE it when customers are treated like this! Can you tell? Good luck - and let us know how it works out.

5. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Hi Michael,
    Funny I did what you sugested and wrote a snail mail to the CO of the chain of stores and this afternoon I got a letter (not e-Mail but a real letter) And said they are sending me a new stone. They also said they want to here from the average Joe to see how they are treated in there stores. The cracked stone is small change only $30.00. This chain of stores sell high end first class products, I think you know who they are.

I see your from Conn. This morning my Wife went to Foxwoods she has a free room for two nights. She is going to visit some friends until Sunday and go gambling Monday and Tuesday. She worked at Yale for seventeen years.
    I did not go with her because I just don't like gambling.

6. GeNn

GeNn Member

Chinese stone

Where did you buy your 12k chinese stone?

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

yep that's the place.

Guille,

I have been too busy with work. I have not forgotten about showing you how to hone. Next trip to DFW I'll advise ahead of time.

Raf

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Guillermo,

This place also has Thuringen hones that are reported to be of excellent quality:

http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=2057&XTCsid=b8192683136543d59cbb30bc6c0cd5e5

There is some additional information here:
    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9327&highlight=thuringen

the only problem is that insured shipping is a bit costly, perhaps if a small group buy was put together it would lessen the shipping costs incured and will make the cost more reasonable..

Something to think about.

Neale

10. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Great Shave

FYI that "store" sent me a replacement Chinese 12k stone. Now with my spyderco UF stone I don't know if I will ever use it.

This morning I honed thirty five times on the Spyderco UF Stone with my stainless Dove razor and stroped it on my stropefor thirty times. Washed my face with Noxzema cream as usual, lathered with Mama Bears soap (great soap) shaved.

Very good shave. I don't know if it is me or what but everything seems to fall into place. It is now 5:30 PM and I can hardley feel and 5,o clock shadow.

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Still have your original receipt? Take the replacement Chinese one back to "that store" and get a refund! :rofl:roflWould serve 'em right!!

12. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

NO, I could not do that, could not sleep at night.

13. GeNn

GeNn Member

Hi Neale; Raf,

I also found out that close to home there is a Woodcraft store that carries the 12k chinese stone and also a Cheaperthandirt store that sell the Spyderco. With all these tools I think I'm losing sight of what it is important to me at this point and that is to concentrate on improving my use of a straight razor and the pasted strop. I've been absorbing all the good tips and advice in this forum. I think it is best that I wait and not jump in to honing razors just yet. :eek:

14. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

My friend GeNn, Get a Spyderce UF you wont be sorry. I can't believe I got such good results.

15. stripec30

stripec30 New Member

Buying the UF right now...

16. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I've been trying to decide whether to get the Chinese 12K or the Spyderco UF. After reading the reviews on B&B and here, I'm going with the UF. I'll use it in between the DMT D8EE and a balsa pasted strop. It should work very nicely. If for whatever reason I don't like it, I'm sure I could trade it with somebody for the Chinese 12K.

17. fritz

fritz New Member

I got the Spyderco Fine and Ultra Fine both from cheaperthandirt for about $70 total. (Prices have gone up and down.) I'm quite happy with them, although I'm by no means a real honemeister (yet). That and a 1000 Japanese stone I picked up used for $15 for setting bevels have allowed me to get a few razors from dull to shaving well.

18. jwoods

jwoods New Member

i have a Fine and Ultrafine, I purchased the Medium on e-bay for $16.50 What i really like is you can use them Dry,Wet, and Clean up with powered cleaner like Comet with a green scrubby pad, Dishwasher Safe Autoclave safe also, they took my straights to a greater level of sharpness

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

I just used my Ultra Fine today for a quick touch up on a Friodur....provided a nice edge that equated into a very smooth and comfortable shave :happy088 :happy005

I don't need them, but am tempted to get the Medium and Fine to play with them too :o

20. fritz

fritz New Member

YES! You DO need them! Resistance is....

Well, actually, I seem to get the consensus that the Medium is quite a bit coarser than the Fine, and more suited for knives than razors. So you might want to check around. I'm still a very novice honer, but I've managed with the King 1000 to straighten out a crooked edge, set the bevel, and then go to the Fine and UltraFine to canvas to leather to good shaves. I don't have a 4K/8K, so I don't know exactly how those relate to the Spyderco stones. I do, however, have plenty of time and go slowly, just honing my own razors.

So far, my 150X binocular microscope has been my most important honing tool!