A New Simpsons Brush for the 21st Century - First of a Two Part Review

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Dec 9, 2013.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For years Simpsons has been known as one of the premier producer of Badger hair shaving brushes. Their history dates back using the current name almost 100 years. Time marches on and the Traditional Shaving community has seen a major change, especially in the past five years, with a new option in knots. Synthetic knots have taken off in user popularity, with manufacturers such as Mühle, Frank Shaving, Kent, Omega and others, vying for the revenue potential of the latest Generation 3, and especially Generation 4 Synthetic Fibers. Up until now, there have been three manufacturers that have been able to utilize Generation 4 Synthetic Fibers. The first was H.I.S. whose brush was in existence before 2010 according to the manufacturer, but became popular in early 2012. The next manufacturer to come on board was Mühle in the winter of 2012. The last of the three was Frank Shaving with their Pur-Tech line in the summer of 2013. So that made three companies that were perched upon the Generation 4 mountaintop, but now all that has changed. Simpsons has decided to release a brush using Generation 4 Synthetic Fibers and here is a detailed view of that brush with a review in the second thread to follow.

[​IMG]

The new brush uses the Chubby 2 handle and is the most compact of three Generation 4 brushes that use a 28 mm knot (the largest STF Mühle sells is a 25 mm at the time of this posting). Simpsons calls the fibers "Synthetic Badger" as seen in the image. The handle is, of course, a classic Simpsons Chubby design, which is hand made and easy to grip even for a knot this size. This is a pre-release model, which has been graciously supplied by Mark Watterson of Simpsons for this review. The next picture compares the now four Generation 4 offerings both in side by side shots and down shots of the knots.

[​IMG]

One thing that strikes me about the Simpsons brush is the knot itself. It is much more dense than any of the other offerings. The tips are just as soft to the touch as the other three offerings and they feel the same to my skin when they are dry (which is an excellent method to tell the differences between synthetic fibers). The denser knot makes for a firmer cushion than the other three and time and testing will tell how it compares against the other three models. That testing, which will commence tomorrow, will be discussed in part two of this series when completed.

An extra thanks to James SanSouci (a.k.a. Codfish) for working with Mark Watterson to allow the pre-release model to be sent for this test and review.

178-bplatoon, PatrickA51, KLF and 5 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This thread is intended to inform and is not a sign up sheet for brush testing. Please refrain from using this as a sign up sheet since any signups on this thread will not be considered. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

3. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! Subscribed...Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't tried a gen 4 yet.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Those are some gorgeous brushes.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well tomorrow is a new day and the first day in testing.

The review will come in a second thread that will be written when the testing is complete.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

In the second article I will discuss each day's testing results.

Here is today's shave.

[​IMG]

Bobcat likes this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I really like the look of this one. :drool:

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the brushes face lathering results. I found the synthetics I tried before lacking in that area.

Any idea of what the retail is going to be?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This quote on the brush pricing comes from Mark Watterson on 11-06-2013.

9. Marillonaire

Marillonaire Member

Lovely looking brushes there :drool: looking forward to the follow ups!

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I look forward to the review as well........I am interested in the synthetic brushes

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks to everyone for the good comments.

12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

A nice classic design, (Not that Id expect anything less from Simpson)

Would be nice to hear your thoughts on it, Ive tried a Syn brush before (Omega) I felt it was not for me, I just like more backbone in a brush.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

After about 4 uses I should be able to give a through review. Today's was the first.

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A quote from Mark today on the release date.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

12-11-2013
    [​IMG]

oscar11 likes this.
  16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the rest of your review. I might have to quit buying soap and save my pennies for a while.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It does look sweet. Saturday is the day I plan on doing a full review, but photos will still come in here tomorrow and Friday.

oscar11, Bobcat and lradke like this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think a few people are now whistling this tune ...

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

An extra photo ...​
    [​IMG]

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm not a huge fan of the synthetics with my sole data point being The Body Shop's offering, but I gotta admit that that Simpson's has me thinking. It looks amazing juxtaposed with the others; you can see the Simpsons quality in the density. I have no idea if that matters though so I'll have to sit tight for the review!

Another great setup Gary!

....like I need another damn brush.

GDCarrington likes this.