To replate toggle or not... that is the question!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lutebro, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I got a toggle a couple weeks back and its plating has seen better days.. at least on the toggle and the head. I was considering leaving it in it's original state but keep thinking how nice it would be to replate it and get it back to it's former glory. Then is the question of what to replate with, original gold or rhodium? I love the look and durability of rhodium. Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

For resale value, I think gold would be an excellent choice. A bit more costly, but a bright shiny gold exterior would certainly not harm the value.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Im a sucker for gold. There's nothing wrong with rhodium though. Go for it. As for resale value im not sure... If gold was the original color value it might go down but I imagine there might be people who dislike gold and would prefer rhodium if normally they could only have gold. Me, id only replate a razor I intend to keep for life.

4. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I'm all for re-plating...however, my vote is rhodium.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think that looks good and would use it as is. If you do get it replated, make sure to get someone good to do it.

I would go with Nickel. Compared to Rhodium, it is less expensive and has a warm yellowish hue as compared to the cold blue of Rhodium.

Just my opinion.

6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm with PanChango, I prefer nickel. BUT, if you are replating for the purpose of reselling the razor and not using it I would go with the original gold. Just my opinion.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am a sucker for Rhodium, so if I would replate one, I would go that direction.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Heres my opinion and understanding of things...

I think original "Toggle's" only came plated in gold.
    If you replate, at least in some purest collectors minds, you will ruin the collectability of the razor no matter what material you replate it in.
    In my experience "Toggles" are "VERY" sought after razors whether replated or not.
    Rhodium is more expensive than gold, but also more durable.
    You should do what "MAKES YOU HAPPY NOW"..A 100 years from now what will it matter..
    JUST make sure its done by a reliable replater/restorer and if you sell it in the future make sure you disclose that the razor has been replated..:)

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    So now the questions you, Lutebro, must answer -
    Did you buy it for yourself to use and enjoy?
    Or did you buy it as an investment so you could sell it in 33 years and make enough to retire with?
    ;)

10. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I feel compelled once more to stick my two cents in. I have acquired four vintage razors since joining this group knowledgable people. I really like all of my razors with usage marks and all. I want them to look like they have been around the corner a couple of times. Just like yours truly.

Dave

11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

If you're going to use it in your rotation and the plating will trouble you every time you use it-then replate.
    But make sure you use a great vendor. Check with other members for a "good one ".

12. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Gold would be more in the spirit of the original, but I'm a sucker for that cold shiny look you would get with rhodium. It all comes down to your preference ;)

2grubswrestle1 likes this.
  13. sffone

sffone Member

I think the real challenge will be to find a good, reliable re-plating service. I've got a couple of razors I would like to get replated, but I've not yet found a place to get it done. Anyone have any suggestions?

14. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I have seen a website.....Razor Emporium. I am waiting on a 66 Super Adjustable that I should receive soon. I am planning on getting it redone...I like the look of Rhodium

15. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I have no first hand knowledge. But a lot of people say Razor Emporium is no good. Hopefully someone that knows will post.

16. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Good to know....I agree with you!

17. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm just going to keep it as is for a while and see what my heart lands on. It's such a tough call!

I haven't heard great things about RE either. Reliable Electroplating has a bunch of experience with razors and I've heard great things about them.

18. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Reliable Electroplating did an excellent job on my 1959 Gilletter Fatboy which I had plated in Rhodium. You will love it.