Em's Place brush cleaning video instructions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by peacefrog, Dec 1, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I want to clean my C&E BBB, and I wanted to follow the instructions in the video on Em's Place. But the video isn't playing properly, probably due to my crappy computer. So I'm wondering if someone describe the technique shown in that video for me.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

from Em

Brush care & which kind of brush - boar or badger? Both kinds of bristles will work up a lather and provide a good shave. Typically, boar is stiffer and may even be preferred by men with course hair or when extra scrubbing action is desired. Badger is more expensive and comes in different grades. Badger is generally softer and more flexible. Some hair loss is normal with the shaving brush lifestyle, however should not be unreasonable. A brush needs to be thoroughly rinsed of excess soap and shaken of excess water after use. A properly shaken brush will only be damp and not dripping with water. See the detailed explanation about bristle types above.
    Do not expose to boiling water, pull or tug as this can weaken the hairs. Shake off excess water and store between use – preferably with the bristles facing down especially for wooden or metal handles. Leave in open air to dry and never enclose a damp brush for any extended time. Rinse the bristles in a mild borax solution once or twice a year and let thoroughly dry as this will help prevent mildew from attacking the hairs and give longer life to the brush. Another technique to help remove residue is to swish the bristles in a 20% vinegar to 80% water solution, rinse, massage cream rinse onto the bristles and rinse again.

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I went and looked at the videos and Em also has a video up explaining to use Dish Soap as a first treatment, basically build a lather with it.. rinse and then do the vinegar rinse as rick said above.

4. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Im glad someone else said vinegar, I have always done it that way.

Issy

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I had always heard before I saw those videos that Borax was the way to go but the dish soap/vinegar process sounds a lot better so I will be giving that a try when the time comes.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Personally,
    all I have ever done, so far is
    lather up the brush with a shampoo every now and then
    Never tried the borax or vinegar.

7. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

The vinegar will remove any soap build up.

Issy

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

+1 this is all my brushes need.

Raf

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

White Vinegar is a good all purpose hard water residue cleaner.

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Didn't Klaus (moviemaniac) tell us he used his ultrasonic cleaner to do his brushes?

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I seem to recall someone mentioning that yeah.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I haven't tried that yet. Chicken me. Maybe I'll test it on one of my wife's hair brushes first. :D