Pre Shave Oil - Question???

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Thatdonkey, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

So I picked up some sandalwood pre shave oil at AOS. I haven't had a pimple on my face since i was like fifteen years old, now that being said suddenly I have 2 monsters right under the chin..... This also correlates with me starting the use of a SR. So my question is could the cause of this break out simply be technique with the SR or has anyone else experienced a break out after using pre shave oils. And if so any suggestions for an alternative to the oil.

Thanks in advance!

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I dislike using prehsave oils as I already have oily skin, so I can give you my alternative to a preshave "oil".....I use "Corn Huskers Lotion" as a preshave lots of glycerine, not-oily and it works as well for me as either Proraso or Jack Black and is "ALOT" cheaper!!! Worth giving a try I.M.O. It's a little hard to find sometimes, around here you can find it in CVS drugstores...

Thatdonkey likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've found pre-shave oil to be totally unnecessary, altho I know some swear by it. Good prep is the key to a good shave. No oil, lotion, bacon grease (yum), butter, or peanut butter necessary. :D

As for your skin problem, either one could be the cause as you skin is getting used to a new routine. Simplest way to determine is to eliminate the oil and let your skin heal.

4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Ditto, below the corners of my mouth. Im gonna try baby oil

Thatdonkey likes this.
  5. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

All the fish you eat you have oily feathers and don't need PSO:happy097:

macaronus, Bristle Me and Thatdonkey like this.
  6. richgem

Yeah... well.... there's that too .... :ashamed001:

Thatdonkey likes this.
  7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I have had success with the home made Pre Shave Oil recipe. I use 4 oz of grape seed oil and 4 oz castor oil. If you want, you can add a small amount of face safe Essential Oil to add scent. You can adjust the castor oil amounts to make it thicker or thinner as per your preference. YMMV. It is way cheaper to make it than to purchase it pre-made.

8. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Am I the ONLY one to consider baby oil?
    Its extremly cheap, gentle enough for a babys bottom and readily accessable.

178-bplatoon and Thatdonkey like this.
  9. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

I thank you all for your input I think I will abstain from the PSO for now guess the only way to tell is remove the variables one at a time. After that I'll give that corn huskers lotion a try if i can find it (cause i've never heard of it). I'm sure it's not a necessary component of a shave, I think I enjoyed using it because because most of my life is a rush and it helps me to slow down and really start enjoying the shave....but we'll see i suppose. Baby oil, huh? Not sure about it, i remember using that on my children and it being damn near impossible to get off my hands. Let me know what you thought about it if you do indeed give it a shot.
    Thanks again for all the thoughts and advise.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too thin and I don't like the scent. But that's me.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  11. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

The oil I use is equal parts: castor, grape seed, olive and jojoba oil. I have a problem of dry skin in winter and this helps a lot!

Thatdonkey likes this.
  12. richgem

Plus, it just sets one up for disappointment when you don't get BBS. :D

Thatdonkey likes this.
  13. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

Baby oil is mainly mineral oil which can clog the pores! Not good on your face!!!!!

Thatdonkey likes this.
  14. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Yeah and I sure don't need my wife getting all nostalgic about baby smell, getting ideas in her head...

15. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Omega 3 fish pre-shave oil?

richgem and Sara-s like this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

I'd have to agree with"richgem" , while "everyones mileage will vary" a prehsave oil or lotion is probably not absolutely neccesary, but then again a postshave balm is probably not neccesary either..So I can only go with the facts as they work for me...When I started shaving(over 30 years ago) I'd wash my face, use which ever canned goo was the cheapest at the time, a Trac2 cart razor and no type of pre or postshave oil, lotion or balm of any kind...My shaves were as few and far between as possible,they were MISERABLE,overpriced,quick and pain filled!!!
    Since I discovered TSD and have begun to practice "traditional" shaving, I now use Corn Huskers Lotion as a preshave, along with a proper face preperation and Nivea senstive balm as a postshave, Arko shave soap that I bowl lather,a #6 horse hair(?) shave brush,DE razor blades and a 3 piece safety razor..The result of beginning this practice has been for me an "ABSOLUTELY" enjoyable,close, smooth,Daily shave that is more inexpensive(the shave itself)than cart shaving, carries on a manly tradition from my grandfathers time and that I actually look forward to..:) The only downside I can see to "traditional" shaving is that it does take a little longer to shave this way,however the benefits "FAR" out weigh any negatives!!!:happy088:

Thatdonkey and imGrunt like this.
  17. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Second person that said Corn Huskers Lotion....gonna head out today and see if I can find me some...

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

This is my blend ratio as well, except I add an ounce each of glycerin and M-Bomb. Anymore I use it mostly in the winter months to combat dryness, or for added protection when pushing one more shave out of a worn blade. It's an option now rather than a necessity, and seems less necessary since going to face lathering and using better soaps.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  19. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

MANLY MAN pre-shave oil.

STP_logo The Razor\'s Edge.png

NOT approved for use on Pengui-Mullets!

Thatdonkey and 178-bplatoon like this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

:signs011: :happy097:

Thatdonkey likes this.