What are some of your hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by fzrider, Jan 4, 2014.

1. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I am always looking for new hobbies and have discovered one or two from threads here on TSD. As of right now, I like collecting and using fountain pens, and collecting and trying out fragrances. I am just curious what unusual hobbies you guys might have.

Mr. Oldschool and macaronus like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nothing really too 'unusual' —aside from collecting an inordinate amount of shaving paraphernalia, but some of my hobbies include:
    • guitar playing
    • audio gear
    • wood working
    • charcuterie/BBQ/Cooking
    • illustration

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, let,s see...
    - Archery
    - reading
    - movies
    - walking / hiking
    - music (almost all styles, classic, New Orleans jazz , pop, rock, electronic, folk, film scores, etc.)
    - sailing (unfortunately no cash for a sailboat)
    - I like owning vintage things (got a 17th century weather station, a replica of a 16th century clock, facsimile editions of 13th and 17th century books, three old editions of Charles Dickens, some 19th century heirlooms, old sewing machines)

- oh yeah, almost forgot, shaving!

BigMark, Bristle Me, fzrider and 3 others like this.
  4. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I always wanted to try woodworking, but I have no room for all the equipment. I also want to build a smoker soon and try my hand at barbecue.

I used to go hiking quite a bit when I was stationed in Hawaii. And I also love all kinds of music, and antiques are very interesting to me. I love to just browse around my local antique shops.

macaronus likes this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup, antique stores are dangerous!

fzrider and Sontag like this.
  6. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

I enjoy golf, bike riding, and radio controled flight.

Bristle Me, fzrider and macaronus like this.
  7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I like amateur radio and motorcycles. And collecting vintage shaving gear.

8. renol

renol New Member

I enjoy hiking and photography. I love how photographs can show something you walk past every day into something that takes your breath away. I really want to get into backpacking as a way to extend hikes. I had plans to try car camping but my wife got an opportunity to deploy rather short notice so it never happened.

9. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

For me I like.

Art prints, pop culture by tyler stout, ken taylor and others.
    Music
    Currently learning guitar
    Craft brews, very big in to it.
    Motorcycles, currently own a Victory Crossroads 2012
    Reading amd games of course all kinds.
    Big in to grilling

fzrider and macaronus like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love scrapbooking, making soaps, lip balms, colognes & such, collecting vintage fountain pens, Swarovski crystal & cartoon art, restoring shaving brushes, archery an most recently, screen printing. Oh, and I play the piano a little.

RaZorBurn123, fzrider and macaronus like this.
  11. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I ride motorcycles as well. I have a 2006 Yamaha FZ6, but my dream bike is a Victory!

12. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

My old bike that I just sold was a Suzuki Volusia 06, great bike but didnt have the power I needed while commuting on the highway. My dream bike was also a victory and the crossroads to be exact, had to jump on it when the baby was born as I was informed by many parties it would be my last big gift.

fzrider likes this.
  13. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

In no particular order:
    • Photography - I have a degree in photography and worked in the field for about 5 years. That was long ago, though.
    • Music - Listening to all types except opera and hip-hop. I love classic rock, jazz of all types, the blues
    • Music - I play guitar, bass, and ukulele. Ukulele is my current passion.
    • Motorcycles - I've brought a couple of bikes back from the dead and made them roadworthy again. I love vintage and older bikes. I currently ride the 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750 that you can see in my avatar.
    • Home DIY projects - I love doing pretty much any type of home improvement project.

fzrider and macaronus like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Having 4 kids and now 4 grand babies my free time has been limited. Shaving is my "me" time. I do like going for a hike, walking along the beach. When I have time, I love going to concerts.

Bristle Me, fzrider and macaronus like this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

vintage and modern fountain pens
    reading
    working out
    cigars (on occasion) & pipes (on even rarer occasion)
    attempting to learn guitar

16. Star

Star Active Member

Hmm....
    - I spend a good deal of my free time play Eve Online, which is a spaced-themed MMO (think open-ended space sandbox).
    - I really enjoy my wet shaving ritual. I consider it my time of daily silence\meditation. I can relax before the day starts.
    - I like to read a good deal. Mostly non-fiction. My undergrad major was early-modern British history, which I enjoy.
    - Gym five days a week (I'm fat and I know it--trying to remedy it).

Adriano Arrigo, fzrider and macaronus like this.
  17. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Collecting Fire King Jadeite dinner ware, my wife and I started this about 15 years ago and just have a couple oatmeal bowls to find.

Caving with a couple friends, too old and stiff to do very challenging caves, always good to get underground.

And still enjoy cooking, gotta keep my gut full.

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

1. Hunting.
    2. Fishing.
    3. Working out.
    4. Camping.
    5. Boxing.
    6. Extreme sports.
    7. Dirt bikes, motorcycles, jet skis.
    8. Mudding.
    9. Eating.

19. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

1) Bird Hunting
    2) Vintage Shotguns
    3) Relic Hunting with metal detectors (Revolutionary & Civil Wars)
    4) Sheet metal work
    5) Banjo playing
    6) Harmonica playing

20. Star

Star Active Member

Vintage Shotguns :)