What are some of your hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by fzrider, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I've been in and out of several hobbies through the years. Anything outdoors appeals to me. Currently...

1. Dog training - work with my 2 yr old Vizsla
    2. Ruffed Grouse/Woodcock hunting
    3. Cycling - current passion are tadpole trikes. Garage full of a tandem, road bike and cyclocross bikes
    4. Hiking
    5. Camping
    6. Headphones - small niche in the audio world
    7. Music - basically listen to everything but country
    8. Sporting Clays
    9. Meeting online friends in person
    10.Reading

I need to retire so I have more time to do all the things I like to do. Sadly, that's still a few years off.

2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Over the years, I've been through a considerable number of headphones (the usual suspects: grado, sennheiser, stax, etc.), and finally settled on the in-ear (IEM) variety after using them extensively on-stage.
    JH16 pros by JH audio. Only problem I have now is, because of their diminutive size, I'm constantly misplacing them….;)

fzrider, Aimless1 and macaronus like this.
  4. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

-Soccer (FC Schalke 04),Basketball (Chicago Bulls) (watching,not self playing)
    -shaving
    -cinema
    -music (listening,not self playing)
    -reading
    -working out
    -Whiskey
    -Pipes

5. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Though most of these I don't do near enough, I enjoy:

Hunting - mainly pheasant and deer
    Dog training - I have a pointing lab who's the best dog I've ever hunted over.
    Shooting Sports - trapshooting, CMP, plinking, and hopefully soon, reloading
    Photography - sports, concerts, kids, outdoor portraits
    Camping
    Hiking
    Reading - for fiction authors like Vince Flynn and John Sandford. For non-fiction typically books about war or US history
    Music - everything. from classic rock to classical to jazz to qawwali to African to opera. Next weekend I'm going to see a Patsy Cline tribute band!
    Barbecue - offset smoker
    Woodworking
    Amateur radio - Amateur extra

I used to brew beer big time. All grain, kegging system, and produced about 20 gallons a month, but having kids took me away from that. The oldest will be heading to college soon, with the rest to follow, then I'll get back into it. My claim to fame is that I taught my brother in law how to home brew and...long store short...he went on to be a master brewer at a few different brewpubs in Kansas City, Denver area, and Arizona, even collecting a silver medal for his cream stout at the Great American Beer Festival.

fzrider, Aimless1, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here's what else I love doing in addition to wetshaving:

1) Golf
    2) Martial arts
    3) Cooking
    4) Training harness racing horses

BigMark83, fzrider, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  7. ChiefShaver

Jeff my dear Friend, Golf and Martial Arts? Not bad not bad. Respect!!! :) I would like to cook more often,but i don´t have enough time for that.

fzrider and crackstar like this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I checked out your hunting forum... it's really cool. I might just have to sign up and check it out for real.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

He can karate chop a golf club like nobody's business. :D

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm a certified diver, but I've never had any dives other than in surrounding lakes.

I'd really like to go diving in Cuba or Saudi Arabia. Those waters are still largely unspoiled and unexplored.

Luteplayers, Bobcat, fzrider and 2 others like this.
  11. ChiefShaver

I would like to visit Cuba too...not for diving but i like the "art of living". They live in not so good conditions but they do the best of it. That´s what´s impressed me most of it. They are happy the way they live. Or it seems so.

Ryan B, fzrider and macaronus like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

... while on horseback. He... is... the most interesting mentholated man in the world....

Rufus T., fzrider, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  13. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

LC Smiths, Fox and Beretta's. Only doubles.

BigMark83, Tsalagi44, Bobcat and 2 others like this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Depite I have less time on my hands now I have a kid, I've still hung on to those below, just not as intense as previously.

1. Building single speed bicycles. Either conversion of old bikes or assembling new ones from scratch.
    2. Shaving gear.
    3. Photography / Digital imaging.
    4. HiFi. Love a good stereo system.

not in those orders necessarily.

Bobcat, macaronus and LifesShort like this.
  15. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Wet shaving and collecting all of the associated paraphernalia is my most recent hobby.

I enjoy hiking, cutting trails, and doing just about anything on our farm.

Dirt bikes have been part of my life for 3 decades now. I don't ride or race as much as I used to, but there was a time when I was either riding or racing in a hare scramble almost every weekend. I still have a KTM 200 XCW and a Honda CRF250X (now a 280, thanks to an Athena big bore kit).

I started playing ice hockey a few years ago, but I don't get on the ice much now.

I enjoy collecting all kinds of firearms, and I still shoot and train on a regular basis.

I also went deer hunting this year for the first time in about 20 years. I've been taking customers big game hunting for years on our farm, and decided to join them this year. I had about a dozen deer within 30 yards or less, but I didn't take any shots. I forgot how much fun it is to watch the woods wake up.

Ryan B, Luteplayers, fzrider and 2 others like this.
  16. crackstar

These horses are not ridden on horseback - they're driven in a sulky which looks sort of like a bicycle. :)

macaronus, fzrider and ChiefShaver like this.
  17. ChiefShaver

My Dad did this too years ago. My Mom and Dad had two Horses when they were young.

crackstar likes this.
  18. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I'm not as involved with my hobbies as much as I'd like to be, but kids have that effect. Some of my hobbies include:

Reading
    Archery
    R/C cars (stadium trucks, have a nitro and electric)
    most things tech

I want to get into target shooting, hi-powered long range... some day

macaronus, Sara-s and Bobcat like this.
  19. crackstar

Yes, trotters are very popular in Germany, France, Sweden, and Norway. I trained a couple of French-bred horses. :)

ChiefShaver and Bobcat like this.
  20. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Interesting, as I've mentioned in other post I aim to do things different, stuff people don't recognize these days. Using vintage early 1920's fountain pens and keeping one always in my suit pocket is one of them! It's always good for a inconspicuous smirk as well when someone asks you to borrow a pen and tries to pull the twist top then looks at it curiously while you unscrew it for them and then contemplates if you handed them a pen or a Archer secret agent pen with hypodermic needle containing a deadly sedative.

Most my big hobbies have derived from past career base aspects like motocross. Not so sure they classify as a hobby yet since they were once something major so regressing from that we are left with.

Whiskey
    Vintage razors
    Building Steampunk theme decor
    Engineering and coding home automation systems with Arduino and Beagle Bone devices
    Collecting classic video game consoles from childhood and the games
    Using unique knots for your tie and pushing edgy fashion lines mixing high formal class with cyberpunk & cybergoth fashion
    Playing Star Wars card game 'No one plays with me anymore'
    Whiskey
    Collecting and using for decor Star Wars memorabilia
    Collecting old school custom AutoCocker paint ball guns
    Enumerating all sorts of little Linux based things for around the house specially for Christmas decorations
    Oh and more Whiskey

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014