Making Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Ejaggerman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ejaggerman

Ejaggerman Member

Does anyone know how to make shave soap or know where to find a how to clip that shows how to make quality shave soap?

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

DO you want to make it from scratch or from Melt & pour bases?

3. Ejaggerman

Ejaggerman Member

I don't know, what's the difference? Thanks

Sara another question would be where does one get ingredients for either method? I'm in Ohio

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

You can get a basic glycerin base at many hobby stores, like Hobby Lobby. I have made some decent soap using that as a base and adding some things to it while it is melted. I haven't done it in years, so I am probably not the best reference, but this is essentially what I did.

If you are looking to make lye soaps, I can't be much help, but trying making cold process bath soap first would be a good starting point.

6. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

This guy has a whole series on You Tube. This is for soap made from scratch.

This place sells "Melt and Pour" shaving soap. You melt it in a double boiler and pour it into a mold. You can add your own colors and fragrances.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductFilter.aspx?FBK=shaving+soap&x=23&y=4

Most recipes for home made shaving soap you will find on the 'net use Sodium Hydroxide to saponify the soap. That's fine for bath soap but a mix of Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide makes a superior shaving soap. The videos posted by Kevin Devine will explain.

JBSharp likes this.
  7. Ejaggerman

Ejaggerman Member

Great Thanks!