Tutorial Clean & De-Stink your shaving brushes

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Neolithium, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Always happy to help :) Photos could have been better but my Camera-lady was on the phone and had zero interest in helping. On the plus side I didn't borax my iPhone!

PatrickA51 and Queen of Blades like this.
  2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

:happy096: Borax and iPhones don't go good together.:shaver

3. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

The aftershave works very well but it seems a horse's tail has more sway.
    In desperation I tried this, subsequent to my usual daily wash until the water runs clear and then drying it until the bristles splay out.
    A thorough, soaking spray with Febreze. I have only sprayed it once about 6 weeks ago. So far so good.

My badger and synthetic brushes have never had an objectionable odour.

I have one brush that was a freebee. I think it may be made of porcupine bristles.
    Useless! Even worse! Dangerous!
    Except when used for cleaning my Norton Water Hones and some other hones after use.
    It is now useable - but just barely. I'll wait and see what further treatment on the hones will do.
    It's true. I can never leave well enough alone.

Mickey

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I noticed that the brush that came with my Van der Hagen Set did not have any odor to it. :shaver

5. Aschecte

Aschecte New Member

When in the directions; specifically step 1 I understand the 1 heaping teaspoon,but when you say add a cup of water do you mean 8 ounces of water or the cups capacity you are using; assuming a medium cup ? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I would hate to either dilute too much or over do it. Thanks !!

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Not a dumb question. Actually I'm rather dumb for not measuring it. It's the same volume as a basic coffee cup, whatever that would be in oz. Not very scientific of me but hope it helps a bit!

Aschecte and PatrickA51 like this.
  7. Aschecte

Aschecte New Member

Thanks Neolothijm !! It helps a lot. I feel better knowing I wasn't completely crazy for seeing it said "cup" as that can mean multiple things to different people. So I can help out I think I can give a rough idea then in actual ounces. A regular coffee cup is 10 ounces a really big like Starbucks one or soup mug is 16 ounces. A medium coffee cup can be 12 ounces. So it sounds like 10-12 ounces is the correct amount. Great thread !!! Thanks for the info.

8. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

FAILED AGAIN !

The Febreeze treatment worked for a couple of months on my horsehair brush and then it was back to the barnyard manure pile. :happy036:

That awful aroma can't last forever ----- CAN IT ????

Years ago my son's cat had a falling out with a skunk.
    Cat - astrophy! Skunk 100. Cat 0. :shocked003:
    A couple of baths with tomato juice eliminated the aura permanently.
    That is my next frantic attempt.
    Stay tuned if you can tolerate the stink.

I used to play the double bass. I still have it. The bow used horsehair. It never smelled badly.

But I admit I never rubbed it on my face.

Well, I am off to squeeze some tomatos. :angry019:

Mickey

Turk likes this.
  9. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I've always used boar brushes for 30 years or so that I've been wet shaving now, and I've never encountered any stink nor done anything special to break-in a new brush, come to that. I just recently bought an Omega 40033 with a puck of Mitchell's, and I noticed no smell, good or bad. And I actually checked and took a good wiff this time, after reading some of the posts about people's new brushes smelling noticeably foul (though in all honesty I don't think I'd ever bothered to check the odor of a new brush before :eek:).

I've always just soaked a new brush in hot water for a few minutes like any boar and then used it, preferably daily. The Omega only has about 20 days on it now and is just starting to spread it's wings, though it definitely is smelling like the MWF now. :D

For me the most important thing re brushes new or old has always been to make sure that they are properly clean and to really shake and get them as dry as possible before setting them aside for the next day. But this has been a very interesting read and I'll give the Borax treatment a go in the future. Thanks Justin! :eatdrink047:

Mmmm...Goosefish an' chips with malt vinegar & a bit of brown sauce. :eatdrink020:

:happy108: :happy108: :happy108:

Aschecte likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

hmm.. is borax a common product? Do you think I can find it in sweden? or something close to it.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know if it is common there. Here, you can find it in any supermarket, with the laundry detergents.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I'll look for something like it, thanks

13. GlennHarr

GlennHarr New Member

Ok i got it, very nice tutorial justin (going back with my stuff)

14. BJV

BJV Active Member

I was thinking of using baking soda in place of Borax for a general cleaning.

Thoughts?

SlowRoller47 likes this.
  15. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Baking soda is a base, and Borax is acidic. You can use a diluted vinegar solution instead of the Borax, though. I use 2 parts water, one part vinegar.

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Do you think undiluted white vinegar would be harsh on a brush?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I dunno, just going by what I've read on various forums. Anytime it's vinegar, it calls for it to be diluted. It works fine that way and I figure better safe than sorry.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This is from Em's Place ---> *click* She uses vinegar.

19. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've always used vinegar, but I use 100% vinegar.

20. DaveTheHeaf

DaveTheHeaf New Member

Great tutorial. I only ever used shampoo and conditioner but this is a good way to clean the heart of the brush.

PatrickA51 likes this.