What are some of your hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by fzrider, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Who has time for a hobby with all this shaving going on?
    Just kidding,
    The wife and I are big motorcycle riders, we prefer the reliable jap versions. We currently cruise a V Star 1300 and rarely miss a poker run.
    I also collect, build and shoot AR 15 and 1911 firearms along with my son.
    Love to hunt (archery) but have missed several seasons due to being offshore.

2. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I also love to ride my motorcycle. I have a 2006 Yamaha FZ6, but I am looking to get a cruiser this summer so I can take my wife along. I almost traded my FZ for a Vulcan last year, but I love that thing too much to let it go just yet.

I used to Scuba Dive when I was stationed in Hawaii. Here in Oklahoma, we have a lake that has some underwater towns I plan to check out when the weather warms up!

jamespasini69 and Bobcat like this.
  3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I too have been a life long fan of the crotch rocket, I startad on the kz's of the late 70's then to the zx's. Once I hit 40 I traded to the old man bikes (not old enough for the Gold Wing yet)
    Wish I had done it sooner, the wife and I make 12-16 hour trips in styl'in comfort! I couldnt make 8 hrs on my zx. loved it like a child though

4. Adriano Arrigo

Adriano Arrigo Well-Known Member

I collect razors :), bring my son to play football, cook pizza, listen to Rush, and play bass guitar.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Great taste in music!

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I just started. My in-laws both worked for the USPS for 35+ years. They've been collecting stamps for years. My Father in-law gave me a large bag of stamps. Who knows..

I was just going to post the same thing.

Adriano Arrigo likes this.
  7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I only have a couple of hobbies. I enjoy collecting a few vintage fountain pens, specifically Sheaffer and Esterbrook, however, I only seem to write with modern fountain pens. I dabble a bit in calligraphy. My warmer weather pursuit is light bicycle camping and touring.

macaronus likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It isn't really a 'hobby' but I have found myself with more acoustic guitars over the years than I care to remember. My wife claims I collect them, but I merely consider them on-loan until I find another home for them.
    At one time I had nearly 20 guitars (all left-handed), but have since thinned the herd down to a manageable 1/2 dozen.
    [​IMG]

9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

tuxxdk likes this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You know that I experience lust every time you post one of your guitars, right? ;) I'm just thankful that they are lefties and not useful for me. Tho, I'd be tempted to try as I'm probably a converted lefty.

(now, if only I had the time and commitment to actually practice/learn/play).

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have come to realize there are just NOT enough hours in the day to actually commit to practicing—or at least practicing enough to feel I'm progressing.

…and, Nah! you don't want to convert to lefty. Too few lefty guitars out there.

jamespasini69 likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

True. And if I'm to be any good at it, I'd have to die tragically by age 27 and it's just too late to do that.

13. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Target shooting mainly .22 rifles now. I have a new Ruger 10/22, another from 1965, the second tear they were made, and a 1937 Mossberg that was bought for my dad the year he was born. In the early 80s he had a bulged barrel replaced with a Glenfield 60 barrel. Thing shoots dead on still.

Sailing, I have a trailer sailer, but it is a lot of work getting it set up and taken down.

Scuba Diving. Got certified in the Philippines and have also dived in the Red Sea, Indian Ocean, Thailand, Guam. I actually reenlisted under water in Guam.

Bike riding, I need to fix up my road bike

Reading, love my Kindle.

Cleaning up old straight razors. I haven't tackled making scales yet but I will.

DIY home repairs. My latest project was a new tile floor in my Moms kitchen.

Wet shaving and collecting of the gear.

Browsing forums, mainly here, SRP, and Rimfirecentral

macaronus and HolyRollah like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Being a home-owner for nearly 30 years, I know all about DIY projects, and I do find satisfaction from doing tile work—floors, counters, showers!

15. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I did about 10 hours one day on the FZ, and my legs and bottom were sore for days. Like you, I don't think I am quite old enough for the Gold Wing just yet, but I am leaning towards a touring cruiser. I would love to have a Victory Cross Roads, but I am also considering a Vulcan Nomad.

jamespasini69 likes this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I dunno, but you seem the kind of guy who might like whiskey. I'm right, aren't I? :D
    And I like specially like the steampunk and tie-knotting parts. It reminds me I've still got to learn to tie a proper -whatsitcalled- bowtie? Ya know, for formal occasions - top hat, white tie and tails... I guess I've got to buy me such a tie one day. The Ashley Book of Knots (on my shelf) does have some tie examples (amongst a mere 3,000 other knots - totally nuts).

Cheers!

17. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I have been doing a little research on amateur radio lately, but I am not quite sure where to begin. Where is a good source of information about getting started?

18. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Guitar since 1971
    Collecting Ancient coins
    genealogical DNA Research
    Surfing the net and finding things out...

Hobbies are fun. I like to research one to death and master for the most part its intricacies. Then I move on to another and do the same thing. Pretty soon you will have about 5 hobbies that you like and are quite knowledgeable about and then just start on the next one you like. Sort of like build the circle and then visiting each one until you hit a bordom period and then go on to your next favorite. Sorry about the rambling.... this Ambien makes you ramble but oh is it so much fun typing.

jamespasini69 and Chris Scott like this.
  19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I found out too late that the big Jap cruisers are still very powerful and long trips are very enjoyable. I thought when I was younger the 1300 kawi was the poo but found myself spending more time in my truck. My wife got tired of laying on my back too.
    Since we got our first big cruiser, I cant keep her off of it.

20. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I know my wife will love it, too. She likes riding around with me now on back roads where I can't go too fast. I think with a wider seat and a sissy bar she will feel a lot more comfortable about riding with me.

Cool Breeze likes this.