I'm a new wetshaver, which razor should I get? (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dridecker, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Nikhil Naidu

Nikhil Naidu Member

I started off with a Gillette 7'o Clock Sterling which i bought for INR 100 ~ $1.75 or so. I have posted a review of this razor and it is a brilliant razor to start off with. Very mild, almost perfectly balanced three piece razor. Strongly recommended!!

Boojum1 likes this.
  2. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I found the Merkur 34c is the razor for me. Not that I'm not always looking for that next "new" razor that shaves nicer than my 34C. I also bought my boys 34c's, the 34c is like a workhorse.

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. GoalSAH

GoalSAH New Member

Thanks for the reviews! Hopefully the Merkur will work out well for me.

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. btbill

btbill Member

Hope you are correct on this one, got a feather for one of my son's.....

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

A merkur 1904 would be a nice starter razor. So would a triangular holed, fat handle tech. I kind of loathe the tech that came after that point.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm biased towards the Gillette Slim because I started out on that. It's also the one razor I keep coming back to. It's like nine razors in one. I started out at 3 and then turned the knob one click until I got to the top If it was too aggressive, I moved it back down a level. I found 6 to be the most comfortable for me. I can pull a 7, but I prefer 6. I use that for my first pass and then bump it back down to 3 for the second pass.

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have mixed feelings regarding adjustables. One one hand, they are like having 9 razors in one, so it makes it easy to find the one that is best suited to you. On the other hand, with 9 settings a beginner might be tempted to constantly play with the settings and then blame errors in technique on the razor instead.

I think Dridecker's list is still the best starting point for most new wetshavers.

Boojum1 and Ryan B like this.
  8. GoalSAH

GoalSAH New Member

I feel like my Merkur is not aggressive enough. I'm having trouble just getting a close shave. But I don't know if it's adjustable.... It's just one of the Merkur Model 180 Long Handles. Is there a way to adjust that one?

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  10. GoalSAH

GoalSAH New Member

Okay thanks, I'll check it out.

11. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I think this one would be a good adition to the sticky
    [​IMG]
    Dirt cheap (it canbe found for around 4$) it's chromed metal, mild but very effective and will forgive a new shaver just about anything :)

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What is it called? Where would one purchase it?

13. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I started taking things for granted when it comes to razors. I just presumed everyone knows everything :D
    IT's called Rimei, but it can be found under other names too on the internet, but if you see this shape, that's it. you can get it on deal extreme, ebay and I think I saw it on Amazon too

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. Atnot

Atnot New Member

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Very informative!

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Wow, Dridecker;
    What a great report, how did I miss this thread. Good work thank you for taking the time and putting the effort into it. :happy088: :shaver

16. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Thank you for taking the time to write up! What about an adjustable to start??

Boojum1 likes this.
  17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Is there a reason you forgot the milder Schick Injectors Types I through M in the SE section?

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I would recommend against it. You can eventually purchase one later, however.

19. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Thanks for this write up and all of the additional recommendations. Now I'm off to ebay to try and find a vintage DE.

20. baldone

baldone Member

Thanks so much for this, since being on the forum I'm realizing that whilst I truly am passionate about shaving, I thought being adventurous was trying different creams and aftershaves. That led to "I think I'd like to try true wet shaving" which led to "where do a I start" and BOOM I found this in a couple of minutes. Thanks for doing my legwork :)