"Standard Razor"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JRod22, Feb 2, 2014.

1. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Spotted this relatively new DE razor on other forums and on Facebook groups. Here's their website http://standardrazors.com/ . Really wanted an all black razor after missing out on the Muhle Jet and the Weber DLC. Had been contemplating getting one of my razors cerakoted. But decided to pick one of these up instead. I really like the way they look, simplistic. Got mine sometime last week, first shave with it was today. Was very impressed. Haven't taken any good glamour shots, but I can. I think the website has enough pictures that you should be able to get a good idea of it.

Has anyone else bought one or used one?
    Have any questions about it, I can try to answer them.

178-bplatoon and jeraldgordon like this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical. It says it's made out of aluminum. Even if solid aluminum is soft. A complaint I've heard about Lord razors is that the aluminum threads are easily stripped. My concern is the same for this $70 razor.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Looks cool. At $70 I can get a number of proven razors that offer much more. It's a start to something pretty cool though.

4. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

The weight is 48 g. A light weight razor. Comparable with an Gillette Fat Handle Tech. Maybe i will order one the next weeks. Looks very simple but very good for me. The Black one is sold out...:(

5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

So I've read long discussions on another forum. So feel some what informed about this razor.
    I believe someone stated the threads are not made of aluminum for that reason. Also worth noting, the threads are reversed. So the thread post is on the handle and the thread hole is in the head. So this razor can not be used interchangeably with other handles and heads.

I agree that it is on the expensive side. I was given a discount code on a facebook group that knocked $10 off I believe. If you do some more research on it I believe you will find nothing but good reviews. That's what sparked my interest to actually buy one. The look and black color option drew me in, the reviews hooked me.

Bummer that the black is sold out. I've never had a problem with a lighter razor. I my top performer has been a black handled SS which is on the lighter end of the razor spectrum. Weighed it once, I'll have to see if I can dig up the weight. Would be interested in the comparison of the two.

Not trying to help sell this razor, just trying to be informative for a product that impressed me.

6. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I would try to find a decent sample of user reviews before I purchased one. Looks like something out of a Woody Allen movie (Sleeper).:signs002:

7. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Just checked out their site. Sweet looking, simple and clean. As for the material it's aircraft grade aluminum, so it should be plenty tough. A littile to pricey for me though.

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I really really like the looks of it, black one that is.

I wonder if it shaves identical to the Mühle R89 head they've copied? If so, it should give great shaves.

9. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Well guys. I've used it twice now and have gotten 2 good shaves back to back with the Astra blade that it came with (a blade that's usually rough on my face). Going to swap it out for a Red Personna for tomorrow and see how they pair up. So far its been worth every penny.

10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Checked out the website and I gotta say, not bad looking , not at all. Very simple which appeals to me, smooth lines. I may order one up myself after you use it awhile and fill us in.
    You didn't mention the question I'm sure everyone is wondering.
    Aggressiveness, EJ or adjustable on 9?
    Thats gonna be the deal maker or breaker for me.
    Also, is the handle slippery, not a big deal to me, just wondering. My EJ 89 is the smooth chrome and I have no slippage issues.

11. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Jrod22,

What of the head geometry? As far as you can tell, did they straight up copy a Mühle (or other), or did they seem to tweak it somehow?

Hmm... for the $70 price tag, there sure are several options "out there." You might even be able to get through the e-bay feeding frenzied fiends to find a Fat Boy (<— alliteration! ).

REMINDER TO SELF... just make sure you have the domestic front covered for Valentine's Day before plonking out a dime! <SIGH> No ideas there... :angry032:

12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Again.....How Aggressive?..hmmmm?

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

First I've heard of this. When looking at them I immediately thought of my EJ89L that I use for head shaves and from the pics, looks to be about the same blade exposure. I don't think the price is bad considering what people are paying for stainless razors. I hope Mantic picks one up for a review, as that would be a definitive review I would trust. I don't like reviews on products home site as you don't know if they're real or not.

tuxxdk likes this.
  14. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Here's a review done by leisure guy: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/perfect-shave-with-new-standard-razor/
    I'm not a fan of extremely aggressive razors. My favorite being my black handled SS. But, I would say aggressiveness is similar to my Merkur 34C, but more comfortable for some reason. I believe the 34c is similar to the EJ89 as well. Efficient razors, very comfortable, not too mild not too aggressive. I wish I could say more, but I not great with that sort of thing. Just kinda see how if feels and works for me.

As far as the grip/slip issue. The grip is more slippery when dry than when wet. I think the flat finish helps to increase grip when wet. So no issues there. Didn't shave last night, just took an off day.But i'll update after next shave with a Red Personna.

Shaver X, jeraldgordon and maltedmilk like this.
  15. ArNav

ArNav Member

Is the head a Muhle DE89 or different?

16. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

A pox upon you JRod! Just when I had things somewhat under control... Now I am pining after this extremely intriguing new razor... Why, oh why did I read this review? I really, really want one!

Mr. Ham's endorsement was a coup' for the manufacturer. That's all the endorsement they need.

maltedmilk and JRod22 like this.
  17. ArNav

ArNav Member

Succumb to the desire, white goat!
    I did.
    You KNOW you can't fight it...

JRod22 and jeraldgordon like this.
  18. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Uses it again today with a Red Personna for the first time. 2 WTG passes and touch ups. Close comfortable shave. I do think the head is very similar to the Muhle R89 and the DE89. Is is exactly the same? I'm not sure, used to have a DE89 but PIFed it to my grandfather a long time ago. The Red Personna delivered a good shave, but didn't feel super sharp. I think this razor will work well with my Wilkies, that feel just a bit sharper in some razors then the Personnas.

I really like that the end of the razor (the not sharp edged) don't stick out Because even though they are not shapened, they are still sharp and can nick me when I'm shaving right up under my nose which is a tricky spot for me at times.

19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Awesome eval buddy.
    Glad you're enjoying your new tool.

20. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Still using this razor exclusively. Found it works really well for me when pair with a Iridium Super blade. 2 pretty perfect shaves so far which for me means CCS with zero irritation.