Mixing different soaps, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I dont know why they don't have something called that yet =P I want to go to there (Tina Fay quote from 30 rock)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

I haven't had a problem yet. I cut into small pieces with a butter knife and start at 10 sec. at a time with a rest between. The rest lets the temp equalize and I stir it with the knife. Take your time!

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The only soaps you can microwave are whats called "melt and pour" soaps(ask the vendor before you buy he/she should know if the soap can be microwaved or not)....Another caveat with melt and pour soaps while melting them is ok, try not to bring them to a boil as that will tend to evaporate the scent....

Although other soaps such as tallow,milled or hot/cold process soaps can be remelted they are usually harmed/ruined if you try to either microwave or remelt them incorrectly, best to just grate them up to either fit(by compression) a certain mug/bowl or to mix them with another soap...:)

Omelmad and fram773 like this.
  4. Omelmad

If i mix i would probably grate the soap. But first I will try mixing by swirling the brush on them to test if they work together

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

That should work and that way you can see how they lather together in a bowl without permenantly joining them together...:)

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Omelmad

Exactly! What if I don't like the combination =P

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Kevin

Why can't I get my lather to look like that on my brush ? :angry019: :angry021::shaver

Omelmad likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Patrick, that lather was a result of using the following:

Into a bowl or scuttle...
    • a qtr-sized dab of shave cream (Pacific used here)
    • a tsp of vegetable glycerin
    • a brush well-loaded with a good soap (Tabac, in this instance)

A good solid two minutes of vigorous brush work, with occasional additions of small amounts of water, should yield comparable results. Water hardness may impact some volume, but it simply require more time with the lather whipping.
    The end result should resemble a slick whipping cream....
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51, 178-bplatoon and Omelmad like this.
  9. Omelmad

Thats awesome!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. PatrickA51

Thank you for posting this.
    I got almost a lather that looked like that on my VDH Badger Brush, and my VanDerWilliams soap mix that I mixed the other day.

11. ohmysan

ohmysan New Member

Hi guys
    I have mixed arko with palmolive and get a great great lather ,
    And because palmolive is so much harder it seems to last for ages
    Regards
    Paul

178-bplatoon and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. Omelmad

I've been thinking about doing this=)

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

So I have a "healthy" supply of soaps, perhaps 15, give or take a hundred. Tonight as I scanned my den for the perfect soap for tonight's shave, I thought, "What would happen if Texas met Italy" (I know...A drunk shoemaker at a rodeo).

I have Stirling Rose in a stick and RazoRock ABCBA in a tub. I ran the Stirling over my face and loaded my brush with the Roman almond soap and had a terrific lather and then shave with the Cobra. Next time, maybe MdC with Vintage Williams??

178-bplatoon, Omelmad and PatrickA51 like this.
  14. PatrickA51

What ever trips your trigger. Sounds good to me. :happy088:

15. Omelmad

Never tried those soaps so I have no idea =P but rose and almond sound nice =)

And I'm glad this thread came to life again

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

I add a little captains choice sandalwood cream to my face before I use my AOS sandalwood soap for face lathering .

17. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

If I am making a new soap by mixing two of them, I put chunks of each into a big bowl and use a fork to "cut" them into each other, like you would "cut" butter into flour. This way, I don't have to worry about heating a soap, whether it is a soft soap and a hard soap, or if it is a soap and a cream. It all mixes the same.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thus far as I proceed along with wet shaving, I can't imagine mixing two soaps together.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

To answer the OP.....no.

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Holy thread resurection Batman!

Have recently been thinking of mixing some soaps together, especially 2 scents from the same artisan (Mike's Barbershop and Vetiver sounds like a nice mix).

Have uberlathered in the past but haven't done this in a long while. Will have to mix some scents up in the future, a small dab of each so if it doesn't work you don't end up ruining a whole tub.