Simpson Brush Owners: Why?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by HolyRollah, Dec 28, 2013.

1. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

:happy097:

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

lee.sabini@btinternet.com
    Lee IS Morris & Forndran brushes, vendors who keep his in stock sell out immensely quick; most people resort to emailing him directly for getting a custom brush.

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My apologies, I didn't check the availability status before posting. Lesson learned.

4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

So is Simpson the best brush to get? I am new to this so would appreciate any advice from you fine gents.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Simpsons are excellent brushes, and they come at a hefty price. Are they the BEST? Some consider them the standard upon which all brushes are measured, for sure, but stating what particular brand is BEST is always subjective.
    Because our needs vary—and what we like in a brush—what is best for one shaver may not be best for someone else. That said, Simpson does make a fine product.

Slow Joe likes this.
  6. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

There is no best. Many vendors make good brushes. Best is solely defined by what you enjoy using.

Tdmsu and HolyRollah like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed! My 'Best' DE razor is clearly NOT on the list of other's favorites. ;)

8. Slow Joe

So could you tell me what brands of brushes are regarded as good, just wandering which brands of brushes would be good for me to look at.

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

How much $$ are you willing to spend? That's usually a good place to start.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Simpson
    Vulfix
    Semogue
    Omega
    M&F
    Rooney
    Mühle
    ...to name just a few.
    Price will help dictate choices and whether you want boar or badger or synthetic or horse or.....

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Slow Joe

I guess I am interested on 2 types of price ranges. £100 something I can save and get in the future when I know what I'm doing :) and about £30 so I can upgrade from my cheap Boar brush that I have now.

Bobcat and CyanideMetal like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Try a Whipped dog badger. Not a big investment and the WDs are excellent values to test drive.
    Whipped Dog Brushes

or Connaught for their selection in the UK.
    Omega & Mühles

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Bobcat likes this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'd add Shavemac to the list. Great product and service.

14. Slow Joe

Thanks gents for the advice, I will give them a look.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup
    Yup

And just so you know, there is no such thing as a "face lathering" brush, or a "bowl lathering" brush, or a "soap" brush, or a "cream" brush, only personal preference brushes. They all will whip up a lather using cream or soap, in a bowl or on your face, it's up to you to learn how to use it, then make the determination if you like it or not.

Slow Joe likes this.
  16. Slow Joe

Thanks swarden I did wonder if there were different brushes for different things.

17. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

In my experience, the wide line of choices, quality of hair, workmanship, and consistency of product keeps Simpson's among the top. Their prices are reasonable given that you can get a reasonable price, quickly, on most Trade/Sell Forums for used Simpson's. The older pre-Vulfix models are called Sommerset's, which was the previous owner, and generally sell for as much or more than the new ones. Depending upon your knot size, quality of hair, and handle size, and budget, the Duke's and the Case Simpson's are a great value. Later, you can sell or trade them for a different model as you change or just want something different.

Slow Joe likes this.
  18. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

While Simpson makes quality brushes, I sold off all of my Simpsons (except for a Wee Scot) in favor of Semogue brushes. For me, and in my experience, the Semogue is at least equal to and in some cases superior the the Simpson. Also, when you look at quality and price, I believe the Semogues are a better value. Semogue recently produces a line of LEs for Barbear Classico that are quite unique and, for me, better than any of my previously owned Simpsons - wonderful knots; beautiful handmade Cherry Wood handles.

One of the nice features of our hobby is the varied inventory of all gear and that we have the opportunity to purchase the gear that works best for us.

JRod22 and HolyRollah like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011::happy088:

20. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Jealous you picked those up. Missed them myself.