Should witch hazel have alcohol in it?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rmcintyre84, Feb 17, 2014.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

The title says it all: Should witch hazel have alcohol in it? I picked up some today, and it's 14% alcohol. Seems to me that would defeat the purpose.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Witch Hazel is a plant extract (although I had a grade school nun for a teacher named Sister Hazel Marie whom we often referred to as….well, you know), and is usually, if not always, combined with alcohol as it is part of the WH distilling process.. Thayers uses undistilled WH in their alcohol-free formulation
    Low percentage of alcohol is expected and does usually not interfere with the astringent properties of the WH.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yep, by definition, WH is 14% alcohol due to the distillation process as Kevin said.

4. rmcintyre84

Thank you.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

She didn't happen to have a band on the side, did she?

John Beeman and HolyRollah like this.
  6. rmcintyre84

I bought Walmart brand witch hazel. The scent is nauseating! It's both earthy and synthetic at the same time. I added eucalyptus, but that just made it worse. I may have to splurge on something a little more fancy.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

8. richgem

Yep. The store brands tend to smell horrible. It'll be a bit more, but worth it... head for Thayer's... many different scents. Tho you may want to be warned that the rose scent lasts waaaay too long (at least on me). The lemon is really nice and doesn't last much post-shave.

9. rmcintyre84

Is the Thayer's unscented truly unscented? The stuff I bought is supposed to be unscented.

10. richgem

I've used only the lemon and the rose, so I can't comment on the unscented.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had a bottle of the thayers 'unscented with aloe' and it does not truly have a 'scent' compared to the Regular (which I used in making Bay Rum aftershave), which has a slight medicinal scent—but I'm certain some noses may detect something there in the unscented version. To me, the unscented WH just splashes on like water...
    [​IMG]

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might want to look at this:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/witch-hazel

Yes. Witch Hazel (as to its standard extract for medicinal use contains 14-15% Alcohol). Witch hazel will have its own natural scent from the bark of the Hamamelis virginiana plant in which the extract is derived. Some companies neutralize the Alcohol or add scents and other ingredients to modulate the effects of Witch Hazel and as you have seen from posting above.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/stopping-the-flow-of-red.27542/

13. rmcintyre84

I found some Thayers Unscented with Aloe at a local natural food store. (To my surprise, it was the same price as Amazon.) There's just the slightest of scents to it, and it isn't off-putting at all. I can probably mix in some menthol and/or eucalyptus for a nice feel and scent. I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Thanks for all your insights.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. rmcintyre84

I really like this stuff. 1) No nasty odor. 2) No alcohol. 3) Aloe. This morning's shave was quite nasty, so the Thayers came in quite handy. Thanks again for the suggestions.

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

You might want to try Thayers Medicated Superhazel. Heavy on the alcohol but a great healer.

HERE.

16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I might have to get that. The plus side is I will be supporting a Local Businiess.

17. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

The Thayer's is overpriced. For the last several years, I've been "doctoring" the store brand WH. Here is my process:

1-pour out about abou 1/8 of the bottle.
    2-fill it back up with plain rubbing alcohol (cheap)
    3-add aloe vera gel (cheap and available at Wal-Mart)
    4-add some Master Bay Rum (from Sally Beauty...I've still on my first bottle that I got 5 years ago).

After this, the concoction is virtually scent free and does a better job soothing my face than any of the Thayer's varieties I've used and at a fraction of the cost.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  18. richgem

Nice hack. Thayer's is indeed pricey as compared to other brands, but a little google-fu helps bring the price down a good bit.

19. rmcintyre84

Interesting. Can you give us the amounts?

20. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I wish I could, but I just guess and go by the smell...I stop when it doesn't "stink" anymore :cool:

I know that's not helpful, but that's what I do. I learned that hack here 3 or 4 years ago.