An odd question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by aelfred_allspach, Mar 20, 2014.

1. aelfred_allspach

aelfred_allspach Active Member

I use VDH luxury scented soap and I've noticed that after 5+ minutes, when u smile, it feels like I'm stretching my face. Like the skin is really tight. Does this happen because I'm doing something wrong or is it normal? Ps. I don't use any kind of post shave or pre shave, just hot towels before and cold water after. Thanks for your feedback

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I can't say, I use VDH Luxury regularly and have never experienced this. I've been using Geo F Trumper's skin food recently (I highly recommend it) and alum. I

3. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

I've noticed that soap tends to dry my skin a bit more than creams do and I can sometimes notice the sensation you mentioned. Aftershaves usually takes care of the problem for me.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. aelfred_allspach

Awesome I'll get me some then

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The soap is drying out your face. You need some type of moisturizer. May that be an aftershave with aloe or Shea butter. Take good care of your skin now, you're young.

6. aelfred_allspach

My wife has Shea butter lotion. Will that work?

7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Any lotion would work. If you decide on aftershave be sure it doesnt have alcohol as it can dry you out even more.

Not all soaps will do that to you though. Some are more moisturizing than others.

8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yes. I use Unrefined Shea Butter as an after shave so I really don't worry if a certain soap dries me out a bit. Remember too that the cold water splash at the end of the shave will draw your skin tight.

9. aelfred_allspach

I soak my face in a cold towel as long as I did with the hot

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I really liked Pre De Provence. The issue I had with it though is something in it made me itch, which for me was unfortunate, because that was a dealbreaker, as I really really liked that soap. I have only been at this for about 5 months so my knowledge is somewhat limited. Why not ask for a list of Soaps containing Shea Butter. If you can tolerate Sandalwood Proraos Red has Shea Butter as well.

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've never used a cold towel, but I bet it's great. I'm a cold water shaver all the way so I may break out a towel, wet it and throw it in the fridge for my AS routine this Summer. Great tip!

Omelmad likes this.
  12. aelfred_allspach

It feels so good and all the irritation is just gone once you use it. Soak it in ice water for fifteen seconds, then squeeze it in there so it completely soaks through, halve it, wrap your face and enjoy!

178-bplatoon and CyanideMetal like this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ditto on any kind of lotion... either an ASB or a hand lotion will do just fine. An alcohol-based splash will only dry your skin further.

14. aelfred_allspach

What is the difference between AS balm, AS lotion, AS splash, and regular AS?

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Types of after shave ---> *click*

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've noticed the stretch using glycerin based soaps too. Not all soaps though, so I'm fairly certain it is all ingredient based. I haven't had any issues using AS afterward though and all mine are alcohol based. May need to grab one on the cheap and see if it helps or hurts.

17. aelfred_allspach

My gillette aftershave splash I bought this morning worked great

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I like to use Proraso pre/post afterwards sometimes. It helps when I have a dry feeling after a shave. I wipe my face clean with a cold, wet, towel and air dry. When it's dry, I judge then whether I need to use the balm, otherwise I do a AS splash.

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

After my shave, I rinse my face with hot and then cold water,then I apply a very tiny amount of Nivea sensitive AS balm...Allow that to air dry while I police up the vanity and brush my teeth, then I apply my (alcohol based)AS choice of the day...My skin feel "GREAT" afterwards..:) I've also recently begun using Arko (tallow)shave soap, that also is some wonderful stuff, and pretty inexpensive as well....:happy088:

20. aelfred_allspach

I bought some gillette aftershave gel. Do you think that will help? Also. VDH is the only soap ANYWHERE around me unfortunately. Although I found crema cream.