Martin De Candre: $$$, But Worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HolyRollah, Jan 1, 2014.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

finished.jpg
    Indeed. :happy093:

HolyRollah likes this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have to admit it's a good soap but I couldn't get by the scent so I sold it and bought a smaller container of the unscented and it's almost gone now. I doubt I'll reorder just because I'll want to try something different.

3. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

MdC is worth every penny. I'm not real hip on the scent of the "scented". Its not that I don't like it, there are just others that I like better scent wise. The fougere is much nicer (in my opinion). I've used them countless times and they still look unused in the glass containers. Lather and lubricates my skin like no other soap.

Those French really know how to make a soap!

entropy1049 and HolyRollah like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Now you've got me intrigued on the fougere scent. I do like the regular scent, so how does the fougere compare to it? I may have to sell off some soaps to justify another $$ soap purchase. ;)

Woodekt likes this.
  5. synth

synth Member

Fougère is French for fern. It's a green type scent but you can still pick ua background of the regular scented. It's more of a fresh scent. Not too much moss or dampness.

6. Woodekt

Synth hit it on the head. It is kind of "fernny". I think. Definitely fresh n' green.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

'Fougère'—per my extensive research into aromatics and perfumes :rolleyes: — appears to be a general classification or style of fragrance. The first fougère made had fern in it and (named Fougère Royal) for that very reason but it's main scent was lavender, oakmoss and coumarin.
    Later additions of woody or spicy notes further distinguished a standard fougère from the predecessors.

[​IMG]

entropy1049 and Woodekt like this.
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I asked in another thread, but I'm curious where I might be able to get Martin De Candre...I'd like to think about thinking about trying it. Anyone have a working link?

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One of the TSD vendors has it on his site: http://www.mdcsoap.us

Shamrock likes this.
  10. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks HolyRollah, that works :)
    Now to determine which I want

11. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    HR,

Would you be so kind as to post every single ingredient from the label? Even if it does not contain magic fairy dust, I am aching to know everything that goes into the price tag! Couldja, huh?

Thanks!
    S

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here is the label: coconut oil is the main fat. No magic fairy dust, but the lengthy process is possibly what lends the magic and the high retail cost.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a rough English translation of the soap-making process from the MdC site. Mon Dieu!

"The vegetal oils are melt in the kneading machine and mixed with potash: they will be transformed into an unctuous and foaming paste, the shaving soap is born.The perfume is a fresh blend of natural essential oils (Benson, Rosemary, lavender, mint) is added at the end of the saponification. Very gluing and hot, the paste of the shaving soap is then directly taken form then tub to fill the recipients. The recipients are then spread in the workshop for a minimum time of 5 months for the drying process. Then we spend time for the cleaning, levelling and equalising the recipiens of the shaving soap... before adding handmade labels .... Its our craftsman work!"

ObiDon, entropy1049 and maltedmilk like this.
  13. maltedmilk

Article Team
    PERFECT! ... and thanks!

For the rabbit chasers among us, I plan on fiddling with an Excel spreadsheet and possibly posting something in the "soap making" section of TSD.

Wow, there really is no magic fairy dust... I guess it is entirely the province of the soap wizards and their secret arcane powers.

... wow! ...

14. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I now amend my position: the magic fairy dust is coconut acid! It says "acid," not "oil." I first thought it was a translation thing, but...
    http://www.acme-hardesty.com/products/coconut-fatty-acid
    INCI Name: Coconut Acid
    CAS #: 67701-05-7
    ... it isn't. AND...
    http://store.acme-hardesty.com/product/14/coconut-fatty-acid
    the only place I've found to buy (so far) has the price tag as $100/gal. Magic fairy dust indeed! Too rich for this hobbyist's blood!

BTW... the soapin' ladies are freekin' on this over at the soap forum! :scared011:

ObiDon and HolyRollah like this.
  15. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Looks like it's actually $100 for a 5 gallon pail… about $20 a gallon... Still not cheap, but a lot better than 100 gallon… LOL :D

maltedmilk likes this.
  16. synth

synth Member

From what I've read elsewhere there is already someone who has made a great soap with the same ingredients at a much lower cost; $10-14 per puck IIRC.

17. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I finally got to try MdC. I was approached for a sample trade of Los Angeles SS. I received samples of both the Regular and the Fougère scents. I used the Regular yesterday and today. As advertised, it almost lathers before the brush touches it. I face lathered and bowl lathered. Both worked great, although I give the edge to face lathering with it. The Regular scent is terrific, and along with the Slim and Personna Med Prep, I got two excellent shaves. I will use the Fougère for the next few shaves. I finished up with Clubman.

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The Clubman finish will help to keep the cost per shave down. :happy108:

Boojum1, entropy1049 and jeraldgordon like this.
  19. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

For me personally it's well beyond the pale in terms of what I can justify paying for shave soap, but that's an entirely subjective evaluation obviously. That said, if I were ever able to try some via a trade or some such I don't think I'd scoff at the opportunity. ;)

20. Woodekt

I was going to use some dr Harris Arlington today, but this talk has me shifting to MdC this AM.