Mustache Wax ? What should I buy ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by newb, Jan 24, 2014.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nice!
    But, better not show @swarden43 ; he's gonna be jealous. :shocked002:

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too late. And I am jealous! Lookin' good:happy088:

3. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Nobody in the family seems to have noticed that I'm growing my moustache out, until today. After twisting the ends, my daughter look at me and said "silly moustache" and giggled. Is there any better feeling then a kid making you smile?

swarden43 and richgem like this.
  4. TSimons

Status update...
    [​IMG]

5. richgem

Nice! Sideways, but nice. Now, you need some hipster glasses to match. :D

6. TSimons

Blame tapatalk or the iPhone foe the sideways. I'll pass on the hipster glasses

7. richgem

I can't imagine why. lol.

8. swarden43

Outstanding!!!

9. TSimons

Thanks!

10. swarden43

What's your wax?

11. TSimons

I went with your recommendation of Firehouse Wacky Tackey. I was a little concerned that it might be too dark, being the great guy that he is John made sure I got one of the lighter shades and I've had not problems with the colour. I'm still learning how to best apply the wax, but I am really happy with it.

12. swarden43

I found that the color of the wax had no effect on the color of my 'stache; everything stayed gray!
    As for figuring out the wax, that's going to change as your 'stache changes, unless you get to the point of trimming it to keep it a certain length.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I can't grow a mustache to save my life, but I'd suggest using whatever Snidely Whiplash uses. It seems to work pretty well.

14. TSimons

Trimming?! I thought that wasn't allowed?

My problems with the wax are I don't seem to be getting it evenly distributed, which I'm pretty sure is because I'm not warming it enough.

15. swarden43

With that attitude, you're well on your way to a beautiful set o' bars!

After I get the wax in, I keep the blow dryer on it to keep it liquid while I comb it through. That will help even the distribution.

16. TSimons

Unfortunately, my blow dryer is an old travel style and not very good at heating the wax. How "liquid" do you get the wax?

17. swarden43

Once I get the wax in my 'stache, liquid like water, so the comb goes through it like it is just wet - no pull, just an easy comb through.

18. TSimons

I have not been able to get the wax to that consistency. I did get close this afternoon, I had the tin sitting beside the cooling fan on my laptop.

19. swarden43

Sorry - do not allow the wax in the tin to get liquid, just soft to the point you can push it up onto your fingernail. Once you get the wax into your 'stache, then hit your 'stache with the blow dryer and get the wax there to a liquid.

20. TSimons

I was walking home yesterday with the sun behind me when I looked down to discover my 'stache now has a shadow. That is a true sense of accomplishment.

richgem and swarden43 like this.