Star Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Misphit, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I was out at an antique store just looking when a woman asked me what I was looking for. I told her I liked old magazines for the razor ads and old razors. She said she had one that I could look at that she didn't know how to value. She wanted 20 for it but I explained that it was missing the end cap and the blade hold down so we settled on 10. I thought it was a great looking razor. Not sure if the handle is original or a frankenrazor. Here it is, let me know if I am correct in missing the top.

STAR SSR01.jpg STAR SSR02.jpg STAR SSR03.jpg STAR SSR04.jpg

The wording on the razor is.
    On the front and bottom:

STAR SAFETY RAZOR
    PATENTED
    JUNE 15.80 JUNE 22.86
    JUNE 22.80 DEC. 14.86
    JAN'Y 5.86 MAR. 8.87
    MAY 4.86 APR. 12.87
    JUNE 22.86 NOV. 15.87
    ENGLAND MARCH 8.1887

On the back:

KAMPFE BROS. N.Y. CITY
    MEDAL OF SUPERIORITY AWARDED AT
    AMERICAN INSTITUTE 1884-85-86
    SILVER MEDAL AWARDED AT
    MECHANICS' INSTITUTE SANFRANCISCO, CAL.

Slipperyjoe and GDCarrington like this.
  2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Ok, I guess it isn't a frenkenrazor...

Kampfe.jpg

Slipperyjoe and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Sweet find!

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You have one of the earliest of safety razors. The Star is really a Father of the SE class we currently use now. At that time it used permanent wedge blades that required stropping and honing to keep it working at its best. Eventually when Gillette came out with disposable blades in 1904, ASR (who held Ever-Ready, GEM and eventually STAR) developed the spineback SE blade as a challenger to Gillette. That is the blade which you see in SE razors today.

Enjoy your find!

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I didn't know the Star shaver went back quite so far..your razor is practically museum worthy. If you can use it, you will be shaving with a real piece of history. Congrats on your find...

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Thanks for the information. Here is a peek after cleaning. I just need to find a wedge blade now.

StarClean01.jpg StarClean02.jpg StarClean03.jpg StarClean04.jpg StarClean05.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.