the skew cut (aka 'Gillette Slide') - who does this?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by maltedmilk, Apr 15, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    So I've been trying new razors and advancing my technique (interesting how trying a variety of "new" razors challenges your "old" technique!)...

I was getting BBS shaves but noticed a couple of problem areas were producing new stubble faster than the rest. This morning, quite by accident, I was advancing against the grain but angled the blade so it was oriented skewed slightly across the grain and direction of travel. It felt different! AND... the problem area took fewer "clean up" touches.

When I noticed this odd effect, I flashed on a technique from woodworking. When using a handplane on difficult wood grain, it is very common to skew the plane. You can read about it here.

I am sure that this is not new. However, I do not recall reading it as a shaving tip**. Does anyone else do this?

I'll be putting this one to the test. It seems to be very effective!

**I could have read about this technique several times. If so, it just goes on the list of things I can't recall. <sigh>

2. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I've heard of it with the grain, called the "Gillette Slide."

maltedmilk and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I do the Gillette Slide on my neck, works great.

4. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I added "Gillette Slide" to the thread title. I knew it couldn't be new! Where has it been for the past two years!?! <sigh> ;)

5. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

You know, I just re-watched Mantic's video on it, and the Gillette Slide is a little different: the blade stays oriented with the grain, and the whole razor slides forward as you pull it down. That's not quite the same as what you're describing, is it?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I haven't yet tried a hand plane yet (I own several) in the mornings to achieve that ultra-smooth face—perhaps because I'm finicky about the brand of blade I use. ;)

The 'Gillette slide' as I understand it, is effective in achieving a very close shave in those dense trouble patches on some shavers' faces.
    The process (angled movement of the razor) appears similar to what occurs when one uses a slant bar razor with a normal shave stroke, due to the angled head of that particular razor.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. maltedmilk

Article Team
    No, not really. If travel is this —> then blade is like this / relative to it.

Uh... should I take 'Gillette slide' back out of the title?

Shakti187 likes this.
  8. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Yep, like that. 'Gillette slide' stays in title. Thanks, Kevin!

9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

O.o It looks like I'd cut my face trying.

10. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I shave ATG doing something similar.. I angle my razor so as I pull it up it travels ATG/WTG at the same time....it has really been good...saves me on touch ups.

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have tried it but I prefer J-Hooking.

Chuck F likes this.
  12. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

What is "J-Hooking"?

13. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

J-Hooking:
    Start a stroke in one direction, finish it "around the corner". Just like a J

I do this in the third pass along my jaw line: starting upwards XTG, ending ATG in the direction of my chin. A little bit tricky at first, but very effective.
    Better not performed in the first pass.

BigMark, Chuck F and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use the slide every shave.
    Watch this. He covers the slide and the J-Hook.

15. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Thanks for sharing this. Quite helpful.

16. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I do my whole second (of two) passes using the Gillette Slide and I have been for about 4 years now.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

+1 :happy088:

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I tried this technique on my neck this weekend and got a few weepers. Not sure if it was the technique, the angle, the lather, or something else. The challenge is the wildly varying growth patterns on my neck. Swirls, diagonals, ups, downs, all overs make it difficult to keep it WTG, XTG or ATG. Makes me say WTH!

19. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Yeah, buddy! That was when I broke out the J-stroke - especially on the swirl patterns.

I may have unknowingly used the G-Slide before today, but I noticed it this morning on one section of my lip. I then tried applying at the "BBS holdout" areas inside the hollows just under the jawbone. Seems to have kept the first appearance of "sandpaper" regrowth to later in the day.

I hope I can master this new dance move and make it a regular part of my repertoire!