Best canned shaving gel?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by venom0706, May 24, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I know people here are into DE shaving, but can you recommend me a good, hydrating shaving gel? Yes, I am asking about a canned gel that lathers well and hydrates the skin good for shaving. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"Back in the day," I liked the Aveno line. It's a bit more pricey, but, it did a good job for me.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

It is not a gel, but the lanolin in Barbasol® yellow is great for skin protection and post shave feel.

When I go goo I go for it.

Bristle Me and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

I can't speak from experience, but the Barbasol (hope I don't get in trouble for not using the trademark thingy) yellow is just about the only canned product that gets any love in here and on the other forums. My Walmart doesn't carry it, so I'll have to keep looking. They stopped selling blades last year, also.

PatrickA51 and Kilgore Trout like this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

According to Barbasol they make their brushless cream and canned shaving cream from the same stock and for the canned cream add propellants. Now the propellants and lack of water are what cause the drying effect that causes problems with shaving. Other companies add even more items that cause more issues versus the wet shaving method. Barbasol and C.O. Bigelow/Proraso (since they use a similar process) are about the only canned shaving creams that receive any interest here.

6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

When I used carts the only gel I ever liked was Edge. For canned foam I'm going to break the mold as I stayed far away from Barbasol Yellow or anything else with the evil lanolin in it. Allergies, that's why. I preferred Barbasol Green, I think it was. Had aloe and was lanolin free.

If you want a can that's outside the box, Clubman makes a foam as does Proraso. You'd probably have to order these.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

Thanks, Gary. I was wondering what made it different than the other cans of goo.

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I always used Edge gel back when I used canned stuff. I still have a couple cans actually. I was never a fan of canned foams but the Edge gel worked ok for me.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

X2

I never tried that. I think I have a can of Barbasol around some where, Never bought it because I thought it was cheap, (really you can't read a book by it's cover)

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

None. They all suck. If I have to go brushless, I'll use TBS Maca Root. It worked well for me when I did that.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

No canned dreck will ever enter my house again unless it's a guest of mine who owns it staying overnight or something like that. I REFUSE to ever use it again.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I too used Edge. Exclusively. Also, Schick Tracer carts.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Ryan B. If I were to run out of shaving cream or soap I would lather up using a bar of dove before I would use a can of shaving cream. Years ago I tried both Edge and Barbasol and both were so dry I couldn't use them. YMMV

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The best canned shaving stuff is one which I don't use.

15. richgem

:innocent

PatrickA51 and crackstar like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What if it is a can of spray Menthol? No cream just Menthol!

PatrickA51, crackstar and Slipperyjoe like this.
  17. richgem

Then we see Jeff become catatonic with delight. Mrs. Jeff might not be so thrilled, however. ;)

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, who spiked my comment with menthol???????????? :angry019:

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

You can always just sharpen menthol crystals and use them as a razor. Just slap on some TSD M-Bomb as a shave oil and go to town.

PatrickA51 and Lexicon Devil like this.
  20. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I will agree with some of the above. I thing the canned stuff isn't so great for your skin. If I were to stop making my own lather, I might just use a brushless cream in a tube like Creamo or something. If you are committed to the can, try the Barbasol or Bigelow. You can find it at Bath and Body Works, which happens to be having a pretty good sale today btw. I didn't get anything today because I told my wife I had enough stuff already. Then we got home and checked the mail...I got my tub or Razorock classic today.