Omega vs Semogue! !

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Pop Pops Razor, May 27, 2014.

1. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

Ok let's have it!
    Which do you prefer?

2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I have only one Omega - the Mighty Midget. It is a marvelous brush...especially face lathering with soft soaps such as Proraso Red/White tub, 3P, Stroppe Shop, etc. All of my other boars and badgers are Semogues. I sold off my Simpson, Vulfix, Vie Long, and Omega brushes in favor of the Semogues. For me, and dollar-for-dollar, they are the best on the market - nice knots, beautiful wooden handles. The other brands are good too - I happen to like these. I am confidant you will most likely receive many opinions and suggestions. Hope you find the brand that works for you. Just my humble input.:)

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

4. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Handles, Semogue, knots tho, for me, Omega.

Bristle Me, dscaver and Hanzo like this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Omega hands down. The knot is better. Semogue's have better handles. BUT there are also high end Omega's that have wood handles and solid acrylic handles. I just sold my Semogue yesterday- I didn't like it because of this. Here is a picture of it:
    [​IMG]
    When I loaded it the wild hairs would stick out at a 90 degree angle- never even meeting the surface of the puck. Here is picture of Darkbulb's Semogue (picture courtesey of @Darkbulb)

[​IMG]

The knots on Omega brushes do not splay like this thus they have more backbone and every bristle meets the puck. That brush looks like an 80s heavy metal rocker. Some people i.e. @HolyRollah use toilet paper cardboard tubes to tame their brush. I tried it overnight and there was still wild hairs the next morning.

They are Omega knots aren't they?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Bristle Me, Darkbulb and HolyRollah like this.
  6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Semgue. I bought them because of the brush splay on the boars.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I only have limited Omega use, but have had my SOC for quite a bit now.
    I love wood handles and would personally never go with an acrylic handle (I don't like the feel and I find them to be very unattractive but luckily that is very subjective) :)

The SOC's boar knot is 'good' but I wouldn't call it 'great' (very subjective though) and that may well be, based on the comments above by more experienced users, where Omega shines.

Then again, there is a slew of different Semogue knots and Omega knots so I'd say it's near impossible to make a general comparison like that and you probably need to bring it down closer to specific brush comparisons for it to really have any value.

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I love the splay on Semogues.

DaveL likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sometimes it takes a couple of 'tubed' days for the really stubborn 'wild thing' brushes. Inevitably, they fall in line. ;)

Slow Joe likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have a couple of each and like them all.

de.fuller likes this.
  11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Semogue. I like the splay, which is why I now have two! I have and have had a slew of Omega. I like the Omega, but the Semogue 1305 and 1800 work better for me and my way of brush loading and face lathering.

12. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

i just received one of each today in the mail. I will have them go head to head over the next month. I can keep you posted.

13. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Hate the splay. See? It's not even referred to with a good word like "bloom", it's "splay" yuck.

BigMark, LookingGlass and fram773 like this.
  14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Omega
    The Semogue knot appears to be a lot denser than the Omega knot. I just think the Omega feels better and isn't the lather hog the Semogue is. Granted, this is only based on my experience with a SOC andf Omega 49, and it's just my opinion.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I'm a bowl latherer. I have an Omega 10049, an Omega 11047, and a Semogue 1305, and a Semogue 620, and a Semogue Owners Club. All of these are boar (except the Omega '47, which is mixed badger/boar). I vastly prefer the Semogue brushes. In fairness, the Omega '49 I find a bit large, and the '47 I've designated as a travel brush, so they may not be getting a fair shake. Perhaps I need to try a smaller Omega to fairly judge it's qualities.

Suggestions?

16. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Mike, based on your liking the 1305, 620 & SOC, I'd say the 10065/10066 would be a good choice if you're only getting the one Omega. 24mm knot/54mm loft, with an above average handle by Omega's standards.

My current favorite is the 40033, which is a smaller brush (23mm knot/48mm loft) but is still BIG on performance. Also, though the handle really is on the cheap side (even by Omega standards), the 10104 is nonetheless an outstanding brush. 27mm knot/55mm loft, it's basically the popular 10049 knot in a lower loft. :happy088:

17. entropy1049

Based on your recommendations I have a 10066, a 40033, and a 10104 on the way (also an 11126, an 81052, and a 10098. Because, R.A.D). These should provide a better representation of what Omega has to offer. Thanks for the tip!

Stubbl E likes this.
  18. fat face

fat face New Member

Ooomega

19. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

I've noticed on here and on YouTube that face latherers prefer Omega and bowl gatherers prefer Semogue. It does seem Semogues whip up a denser lather, more like the way a badger brush does. I always notice guys using a fat silvertip whip up enough lather to ice a cake, where the boar guys whip up about 1/4Th of the lather! Maybe I should get myself a Silvertip for my next brush? ?

20. entropy1049

I dunno...seems like once the boars get "seasoned" they hold their own with about anything...

DaveL and dscaver like this.