*Archived* GemStar Customs

Discussion in 'Vendor's Corner' started by gssixgun, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Gemstar DFS Razor #201

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maker: Heljestrand

Model: MK 63

Origin: Elskiltuna Sweden

Steel: Carbon

Size: 9/16+

Grind: 3/4 Hollow

Point: Round point

Scales: Original Cracked Ice Celluloid

Jimps: Bottom

Honing: Chosera 1-5-10, Chinese Guangxi

This is just a beautiful Heljestrand, the steel looks untouched the scales are near perfect and the edge is exactly what you would expect from Swedish steel... If you like a small nimble razor this is the one for you, it measures just a tad over 9/16 and there is NO visible hone wear so I would say it was made this size.. Simply a beautiful shaver...

battle.munky and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Gemstar DFS Razor #203
    Maker: Brisco

Origin: USA, West Virginia (stamped BC Barber's supply Vancouver BC on the back)

Size: 5/8

Grind: Full Hollow

Jimps: Bottom

Point: Square point

Scales: Original Bone

Honing: Chosera 1-5-10, Blue-Green Escher

[​IMG]

The razor cleaned up rather nice, The scales are near perfect, polished to a high lustre, and cleaned in and out.. New Brass Pins and Washers all around. Very little hone wear.. The razor is honed and stropped so it is a true save ready...

battle.munky likes this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Outstanding menu Glen, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of those. All are super nice.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That Brisco is sweet! :bounce017:

5. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Very nice!

6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Some Specials for everyone as we go into the New Year

DFS (Damn Fine Shaver) Razors I just put up on the website..

Gemstar DFS Razor #205

[​IMG]

Maker: BSCO Guarantee
    Model: #538 "Crown"
    Origin: Germany
    Grind: Full Hollow
    Point: Spike point
    Scales: Slick Black Bakelite

Honing: Chosera 1-5-10, Vintage Thuringen

A Vintage B.S.C.O. Imported to Norfolk Virginia, Stamped "Crown" Steel has been lightly polished leaving no pits, rust or patina behind...The scales are near flawless and have been cleaned in and out, re- pinned with pure brass hardware .. Honed to a True Shave ready and stropped so it is ready for your first shave... Take advantage of the price on this one.

Gemstar DFS Razor #206

[​IMG]

Maker: Morris MFG.
    Model: Prosperity #400
    Grind: Wedge Grind
    Point: Square point
    Scales: Original Cream Celluloid
    Honing: Chosera 1-5-10, Vintage Thüringen

The razor cleaned up rather nice with a rather showy Hammered Tang... The scales are near perfect, polished to a high luster, and cleaned in and out but there is a slight stain deep in the celluloid near the pivot.. New Brass Pins and Washers all around. Very little hone wear.. The razor is honed and stropped so it is a True Shave ready...

Now add it up for savings

Add a Gemstar Custom Bench Strop to one of the razors above and get 10% off both of them

[​IMG]

About the strop:

After thinking about it over the last year I realized the answer was right in front of me, I have always advised beginners to lay their Hanging strops along the edge of a Table or Counter top when learning to use them.. This eliminates the sagging issue, and also allows a Beginner to concentrate on learning the "Flip".. Learning how to Flip the razor on the spine while changing direction is really the key to good stropping.. Using a Bench Strop also eliminates the over-pressure issues and should help you to NOT fold the edge while stropping.. Best of all you really should not be cutting this strop up...

So I thought about what a Beginner needs for a first strop, I measured my hanging strops and found that 16 inches was the average length of the stropping surface, I figured 3 inches wide would make a Beginner comfortable..
    I sourced some good quality 7-9oz Vegetable Tanned Leather and went to work, I bought some nice Oak, Stained & Sealed it with Polyurethane included a label with stropping instructions on the bottom..
    After attaching some 3/4 inch silicone feet the NEW Gemstar Customs Bench Strop is now available ...

Now for the best news, these are what I actually use for pasted strops, I have found no better way to use pastes as of yet, so after you learn to "Flip" the razor and strop correctly, you know you are going to go buy a High Quality Hanging strop and this will not go to waste.. You can simply add CrOx or your favorite paste and re-purpose it..

Or if you just need a good platform for applying pastes now, the price is sure right..

I also have 99.99% CrOx available now, the company I sourced says .30 micron but more important is the purity of the paste.. $8 for 20 grams which would last me years even doing this professionally

Also on the website are some Brushes add one to the order and receive 10% off on the entire order.... Plus Free Shipping CONUS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See all the details and the prices here on the "For Sale" page at Gemstar Customs

For Sale - Gem Star Customs

macaronus likes this.
  7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Morely Clover Brand DFS for St Patty's Day

Gemstar DFS Razor #208

Maker: Morely

Model: Clover Brand

Grind: Hollow Grind

Point: Round point

Scales: Original Swirl Celluloid

Honing: Chosera 1-5-10, Vintage German Thuringen

[​IMG]

The razor cleaned up near perfect with no visible hone wear, the razor was slightly modified and has a 2.5 inch edge...The beautiful Celluloid scales are near perfect, polished to a high lustre, New Brass Pins and Washers all around. The razor is honed and stropped so it is a true shave ready...

GDCarrington and Tdmsu like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Niiice!

gssixgun likes this.
  9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    For quite some time I have been pondering the Beginner Strop dilemma, I have wondered how to produce and sell a strop for a good price, but still give a Beginner the best opportunity to succeed in learning to strop..

After thinking about it over I realized the answer was right in front of me, I have always advised beginners to lay their Hanging strops along the edge of a Table or Counter top when learning to use them.. This eliminates the sagging issue, and also allows a Beginner to concentrate on learning the "Flip".. Learning how to Flip the razor on the spine while changing direction is really the key to good stropping.. Using a Bench strop also eliminates the over-pressure issues and should help you to NOT fold the edge while stropping.. Best of all you really should not be cutting this strop up...

So I thought about what a Beginner needs for a first strop, I measured my hanging strops and found that 16 inches was the average length of the stropping surface, I figured 3 inches wide would make a Beginner comfortable..
    I sourced some good quality 8-9oz Vegetable Tanned Leather and went to work, I bought some nice Maple, Stained & Sealed it with Polyurethane included a label with stropping instructions on the bottom..
    After attaching some 3/4 inch silicone feet the Gemstar Customs Bench Strop is available from the website ...

Now for the best news, these are what I actually use for pasted strops, I have found no better way to use pastes as of yet, so after you learn to "Flip" the razor and strop correctly, you know you are going to go buy a High Quality hanging strop and this will not go to waste.. You can simply add CrOx or your favorite paste and re-purpose it..

Or if you just need a good platform for applying pastes now, the price is sure right..

[​IMG]

Prices and Ordering available at http://www.gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

on my radar for sure

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Glen
    What would the difference or advantage be using this pasted strop versus a tabletop pasted strop made of balsa? I was contemplating making a basic balsa strop as I have a large amount of chromium oxide sitting idle at the moment.

12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Well honestly that is a subject that is worthy of a thread in itself :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well we will await that next thread! :D

14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Ok ok hehehe

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    1. Gemstar DFS Razor #210

[​IMG]

Maker: Burrell Cut co.

Model: Top Flight #1955
      Origin: Ellicottville NY USA
      Size: 11/16
      Grind: Hollow Grind

Point: Spike point

Scales: Original Celluloid
      Honing: Shapton Glass Stone 1-2-4-6-8-16-30K

The razor is near perfect with no visible hone wear, very light polishing after unpinning.. The Original Celluloid scales were cleaned and polished and are near flawless..The razor is honed on the full Shapton system because these NY straight razors can take and hold an incredible edge, it is stropped to a true shave ready...

If you say "pretty please" I will slightly neuter the spike point correctly so that it can be brought back again at a later time [​IMG]

Contact me through my website gssixgun@gemstarcustoms.com

Pricing and more info here

For Sale - Gem Star Customs

Thanks for looking

battle.munky likes this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

As always, your work looks excellent!

gssixgun likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm clueless when it comes to straights. But I know when I see something that is absolutely beautiful! Nicely done! :happy088:

HolyRollah and gssixgun like this.
  18. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Very nice razors Glen!!. .....cannot wait til I get mine back from you...I am looking forward to trying it out!!

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Gotta say, that shot on the hone is pretty badass......

20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Gemstar Custom Razor #74

[​IMG]

Maker: Boker
    Model: Extra Hollow
    Origin: Solingen, Germany
    Size: 6/8
    Grind: Extra Hollow
    Point: Dreadnought or Spanish
    Scales: Custom G10 Black & Grey
    Wedge: Double Black Micarta
    Pins: Nickel Silver
    Washers: Outer = SS Double Stacked, Inner = Brass bearing washer
    Honing: Naniwa Chosera 1-5-10 Apache Strata Finisher

No visible hone wear on this 6/8 Boker Extra Hollow, I only did a light buffing to the steel, and brought it to a nice Satin Finish, but not quite a perfect one :( You have to look very close, but there is some very very light marring to the surface.. This Boker has a tree giving it a date ca 1924-1935, these are just silky smooth shavers, and combined with the modern G10 contoured scales that are near indestructible, this should be a great razor for many years to come..

I just don't list many razors for sale, but I did some recent horse trading so I will have a few up in the next couple of weeks here on the "For Sale Page"

http://www.gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html