Scents and Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Larry P, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Larry P

Larry P Member

Hi all,

It's interesting that as I've been recently exploring "the finer things" when it comes to shaving, I have started putting together smells that I have been exposed to and what they make me think about someone. In the past I couldn't always tell how someone created a layered smell, but now I can somewhat piece it together.

What's interesting is that each of the scents and combinations brings me to stereotypes just as quickly as seeing a suit or a facial piercing.

Right or wrong it may be interesting to list what smells make me think. I'm sure this may offend some, but consider this an academic exercise and feel free to add your own so that we can overcome any of these or help out those that smell like 15 year olds that just don't know what scent overdoses are ☺

Old Spice and English leather remind me of high school gym class. Automatically I get overwhelmed by that toxic mix of right guard and cologne, choking us half to death but seeming so cool in our youth. When i smell these now, I think the person was a high school athlete who never progressed past his "Al Bundy" stage. Again, these are only my brain's snap judgment based on God knows what, but i'm sure we all have some.

Sandalwood is a hard one. I LOVE Sandalwood but if it's not done right, meaning it's overwhelming and just feels layered with 15 applications, I think "wannabe". Sandalwood done right makes me think that a man is highly intelligent and someone i'd immediately like. Strange huh?

Lime to me is another fragrance that kicks up images. If it's done well I think that the person is a young, fresh executive with a bright future. Done wrong or with cheap, sweet stuff and I think I of someone who is just graduating from Axe body spray.

I know this kind of thing can be contentious, but our reactions to our favorite scent combinations are worth examining. I have loved scents even when I believed that cartridge shaving was the only way. My favorites are TOBS Sandalwood (moderation!) and T&H 1805 for work, Trumper coconut cream, and Lime face when I'm feeling little young, and rose or lavender when i want to feel sophisticated. YMMV :)

What images come to your minds based on smell?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Sitting in the barber chair, my dad next to me, he's getting a shave and cut. I got some cream and a cut. All followed up with clubman.

Larry P likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Avon Wild Country always makes me think of my father as do some other similar scents.

Scientifically, scent can be one of, if not the, most powerful memory triggers. No wonder we associate some "signature scent" with some particular event or person in our lives.

Slow Joe and Larry P like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed.
    Mennon Skin bracer takes me back as a child watching my dad shave.
    Old Spice and English Leather take me back to my locker days in high school.
    Osage Rub and Pinaud Clubman take me back to Roy's barbershop on Main St in Salinas, CA; in the mid-1960s.
    Tabac brings to mind that I need to call my mother today.
    Pinaud Vegetal reminds me it's time to change out the Kitty litter box.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    DLreno, Dr. Tim Wilkins and Larry P like this.
  5. richgem

:happy102:

Larry P likes this.
  6. Larry P

Larry P Member

So what scents immediately make you think a guy is successful and trustworthy?

7. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Floid and the scent of Palmolive shaving soap trigger some memories and inspire a childlike trust with me.
    To me, a successful scent is more about wearing one that suits your chemistry.

Moses Brown likes this.
  8. richgem

And not overdoing it!

Bussemand likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know my Dad used several different old school a/s - I recall seeing them and he's verified it. But even though I use most all of them since I started westhaving, none of them trigger any memories. There are only two scents that time-warp me back to childhood. The first is fresh autumn leaves; a very common one. The other is either Testors model enamel or the hydrocarbon aroma of a newly opened styrene model kit. Instantly shoots me right back to 1975.

10. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

My dad always had a full beard, except for every once and a while in summer. If my brother or I did well in baseball (hit a home run, pitched a great game, etc...) then he'd shave it, but keep the mustache. The only memory I have in terms of scent from this was his aftershave, which was English Leather Lime. Try as I have, I can't find it anywhere. It's a shame, because there is nothing I've found, regardless of brand, that really hits that lime scent like Dad's after shave did.

11. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

English Leather Lime is discontinued, but you can find a bottle or two on ebay :)

12. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

Thanks! I'll take a peek over there!

13. richgem

Have you tried the TSD lime? I love it. ... very natural smelling.

edit2: The mojio is also very fresh smelling and another one I love.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Live green, eh?

15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Scents certainly trigger memories for me. Clubman reminds me of my Grandpa. Skin Bracer reminds me of my Dad. English Leather's a funny one. I picked up a bottle of it recently and it triggers nothing. I remember liking it a long time ago so I think it must have smelled better then.

16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Speick conjures the Black forest pagan in my collective conscious.

17. richgem

Huh. Reminds me of an old German grandpa-type.

18. richgem

darn auto-correct. :angry032:

Larry P likes this.
  19. Larry P

Larry P Member

Yeah I think parents and grandparents should be emulated to a point, at which juncture we should enjoy some of the technology and scents that they couldn't dream of and probably would have jumped at given the choice. That said I love TOBS Sandalwood heh.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

[​IMG]