Which Movies had scenes where Actors used straight/safety razors ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by SSLSTudio..., Mar 9, 2007.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

In Stalag 17, Sgt. Sefton (William Holden) is getting a straight razor shave from his lackey Cookie (Gil Stratton Jr.) at around the 47 minute mark.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

This isn't shaving but certainly shave related toiletries: In Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the scene when Ferris goes into the bathroom of the Chez Luis restaurant, on the counter, there is a bottle of Florida Water, Lilac Vegetal, and what appears to be some Jeris hair tonic.

Figured I throw it out there :D

3. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

In one of the Mr. Bean movies, the self titled "Bean", Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) is shaving with an electric, but what absolutely makes the scene is that he shaves his tongue with it!:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

KS

4. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Stoker mentioned this scene but I'll expand the description.

Spoiler alert

In Once Upon a Time in the West, toward the end of the film, Jason Robards, Jr.'s character (Cheyenne?) returns to the train station and asks Claudia Cardinale's character (Jill, I think) to make coffee. Jill is a mail-order bride whose prospectve husband and his children were murdered before she arrived. He tells Jill that he is not staying and she shouldn't think of relying on him or Charles Bronson's character to help run the station and build I life together. While she makes the coffee, he shaves, carefully, with a straight razor. At this point in the film, neither Jill nor the audience knows that he has been mortally wounded and is briefly experiencing the domestic life he never knew. It's probably the most poignant shaving scene I've ever seen.

5. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

wow!..who woulda thought Hollywood woulda reverted soo many years to the best shave tools by not using a cartridge razor:D

6. RnR

RnR Member

In Harms Way, he's briefly handling a straight after a shave as well. And for the youngin's... we're talking John Wayne here.

And don't you forget it!

(P.S. - For a scene of definitive manliness (in a Lloyd Bridges/SeaHunt kind of way) - watch Kirk Douglas in the same movie after his own shave - with a towel over the shoulders (!!) - go to work on a parasite. Can you spell: MACHISMO?!)

7. RnR

RnR Member

In a supporting role, watch a soap stick being briefly used to prep a brush (not the face) in Dam Busters.

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

In the 1964 movie "First Men in the Moon", based on the H.G.Wells novel, actor Edward Judd can be seen shaving with a straight at the 49 minute mark inside the Sphere while on the way to the moon.

9. Didn't think that it would take till page four to find this one. That's the movie that made me look into seeing if vintage razors like that were still used today!

10. Also, not so much a shave scene. In Monty Pythons "Now For Something Completely Different" there is an animated short, that features a gentleman lathering up with a brush. Shaving part of it off, then simply decapitating himself to finish the job.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I just watched that movie the other night for the first time. Surprisingly good except for the quick end.
    Netflix streaming is the best.

12. Stan Grossman

Stan Grossman New Member

A Bronx Tale

In the film A Bronx Tale the Calogero character is seen shaving with a DE while conversing with his father about dating black girls.

13. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Yeaaah.. I remember that scene! I really liked how Robert DeNiro talked with his son.. Great scene! Great actors! I must have seen it about 10 times.
    :happy088

14. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

TV Series "ALF"

Sorry this isn't a movie but does anyone remember the tv show "ALF"? There were a few episodes where ALF would barge in on Mr. Tanner for whatever reason, showing Mr. Tanner shaving with a straight, with mug soap, and then turning to ALF, all exacerbated that he barged in.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

The Connery in Goldfinger was a great call except its a Slim, probably a '64 since Gillette was a sponser and the film was in '64... Just saw it, and it cracked me up...I didn't know or care when I originally saw it...But now...:)) And the razor was highlighted as it was one of his Gadgets, loved it...

16. RnR

RnR Member

George C. Scott...

...portraying General Patton in the 1986 made for TV docudrama: The Last Days of Patton.

17. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Brando in Last Tango in Paris.

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not sure if it has been mentioned as I did not read through the thread.

Watched Commandos last night. It was a WW2 movie set in Northern Africa with Lee Van Cleef. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062819/

During one of the scenes, a bunch of German soldiers are enjoying some down time and one of them is using a straight to shave.

19. DonR

DonR Active Member

Thirteen Days

Kevin Costner in Thirteen Days.

20. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

Here's two obscure references:

Bogart, in "Dark Passage" while the camera is still in first person perspective,
    lays out his shave gear on bathroom sink which includes a bakelite handled injector type razor.

Tom Neal, in "Detour" uses what appears to be the world's largest Persian jar brush and shaves with a DE before his shower.