Cigar Today, Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Aedan382, Dec 28, 2012.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

In good health, Steve!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Fired up a JDN My Uzi Weighs A Ton. Meh. I preferred last week's Fuerte Serie B. Like trying to describe scents, it's hard to describe flavor profiles. I just know what I like - not bad but I won't be buying the Uzi in bulk. But that's what you get when you buy sample packs. Oh well. Still a nice relaxing afternoon.

3. richgem

Off to have a Don-something-or-other which is made on the French side of St. Martin. My first cigar in my new residence.

edit: Don-something-or-other = "Don G."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  4. swarden43

Newbie question... Uneven burn - what causes it and can it be corrected or prevented? If so, how?

5. richgem

Could be an uneven light, the way the cigar is made, uneven draw when you puff, or just some tobacco burning faster. Sometimes if you smoke the cigar with the longer uneven side toward the floor (yes, that is counter-intuitive), the burn will correct itself. Or, if it really bothers you or gets really uneven, just relight that side briefly (thus correcting the long part with your lighter). If you use a lighter, btw, it's recommended to use a butane one as opposed to the old zippo fluid ones as the fluid ones can impart a taste while butane gas won't.

6. swarden43

Thanks Rich.
    I've tried relighting the longer side, to little avail. I'm thinking it's gotta be tobacco itself, especially on this last one I smoked (a house cigar from a local shop). I've had uneven lights on other cigars and they've "corrected" themselves several puffs in.

Good tip - long, uneven side toward the floor. I've tried both ways, long side up and long side down, and did find long side down helped even the burn.

Just how does one puff on a cigar unevenly? ;)

And I do use butane or matches.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

The poor cigar experts name is Ranald MacDonald. I would be tempted to go by a different first name or nickname, it must get tiresome.

8. richgem

House cigars can either be a low-cost treasure or an extremely rough diamond-in-the-rough as you've probably found out. So, it could well be the tobacco itself or the rolling, especially if you have consistent problems with this one brand.

9. richgem

Even if he offers you a Happy Meal? ;)

10. swarden43

Finished the yard thing, now relaxing with a Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970.

Though still quite new to cigars, I am starting to discern different flavor characteristics such as leather, earth, coffee and pepper.

KLF and richgem like this.
  11. richgem

Genuine Counterfeit Cuban 1958 w/ a Moscow Mule.

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Time for a Favorita de Nicaragua and some Buffalo Trace Kentucky Bourbon on the rocks with a splash.

[​IMG]

KLF likes this.
  13. swarden43

Enjoying a My Uzi Weighs A Ton and an A&W. Pairs up rather well, to my surprise.

Bobcat likes this.
  14. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I'm looking into cigars for the first time and maybe I'll buy some tomorrow. What should I choose for the first time?

15. swarden43

Bobcat likes this.
  16. swarden43

Go in and talk to the folks running the place. They'll be more than happy to suggest something on the mild side. Cigars are like blades - everyone has a favorite, and what you like may not be what someone else may like.
    Also ---> *click* Check out the prices on their samplers, too.

richgem likes this.
  17. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

+1 for Cigars International

18. richgem

ditto

19. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I was today at a brick and mortar cigar store and pick up 2 : a Aging Room Quattro F55 and an Romeo y Julieta no 1. I'll try them this week.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Bobcat likes this.
  20. Murphy

Murphy New Member

Finished in the yard and enjoying my favorite "everyday" cigar:
    CAO La Traviatta Maduro. This one is a Radiante (6"x 52). Spicey, smooth, thick smoke, excellent draw, very tastey! A great smoke at under $5 a stick.