New to straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Birdie, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Somebody's luuuucky!

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

A shave ready razor PIF'd from Glen? I'd consider that along the same lines of getting a free Maserati!

3. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

You are indeed right that much is lost in translation. Now is some new terms here and hopefully you can explain. What is ment by putting scales on it? What type of honing stone are you talking about? Is this something I should be looking for in the future? And finally, I think, does the name stamp mean? Oops, I more, what are you talking about by 9/16 half hollow round nose? Thank you so much for the offer. I'll have to say that looks better than any I've seen in the store.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Birdie, here's some razor part terminology for starters…
    [​IMG]

Blade profiles (shape & thickness of the blade looking at them from the end)
    [​IMG]

5. Tomas Garcia

Tomas Garcia Member

Where are the "jimps"? I saw someone refers to jimps, but have no idea where they are

Bristle Me likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They are narrow cut grooves either above or below (or both) the tang where you grasp the razor while shaving. The added texture makes for a more secure grip. Some razors have no jimps at all.
    Bottom:
    [​IMG]
    Top:
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me and burnout961 like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

9/16 = the depth of the blade (just under 5/8" here)
    half-hollow (see profile image in post#24)
    round nose = how the nose end of the razor is finished. For beginners, a razor with a 'round nose' can be safer and easier to learn upon (less risk of injury than a square point).

Variety of end treatments:
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me and gssixgun like this.
  8. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

HolyRollah, do you own the Lotus or is it just a pic you borrowed to show the jimps? If it's yours and you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sorry, not my razor. Just borrowed the pic for demo purposes. Good luck with the hunt! :)

10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Banking up karma chips...Good on ya Glen.

Bristle Me likes this.
  11. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I wish I had a Lotus...

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Don't we all...

13. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I finally got the straight. Wow what a new experience

Bristle Me likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So have you used it yet? WE need all the gory details.....;)

15. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Well I'm still alive. I can tell it does take a steady hand and time to perfect the technique.

Bristle Me and HolyRollah like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, it will require some time to feel entirely comfortable with a straight. My first few weeks were dicey—not so great results as I learned to hold and negotiate the facial curves, blade position and whisker growth patterns. I usually just did one, maybe two passes the first month, and finished with a DE razor to clean up the rough patches. Now we're approaching a YEAR in for me and I can tell you there's a huge difference both in my confidence in using an SR, and the great shaving results. Mind you, I'm accomplishing this all with a bad case of CTS in my dominant hand for the past year. I know shaving the face is different, but the same technique applies to other areas as well.

So my encouragement to you is: Stick with it, daily if possible, as it only get better! :happy088:

Birdie likes this.
  17. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Practice, practice, practice when it comes to straights.

Bristle Me likes this.
  18. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

It's a journey, for sure.
    In a way, about like learning a trade.
    As BudWhite says, just take your time and enjoy!

Best wishes and best of luck to you Birdie!

19. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011: