Any Bourbon Drinkers Here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Brigadier, Jan 3, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

There is no drink I enjoy more than a bourbon, but would you hate me if I said I actually really enjoy Jim Beam?

Radiotube and otherstar like this.
  2. Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve go in my Manahattans

Cheers,

Lee

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

nope.

JB Black is especially decent. :D

4. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

Me too; I think Woodford Reserve is THE best manhatten bourbon.

Makers mark ----->best on the rocks
    Basil Hayden----->best neat
    Knob Creek------>mix in about 20% good, filtered water and one ice cube

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Kentucky Derby at Churchhill Downs tomorrow. Gentlemen and Ladies start your Mint Juleps!

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I must admit to not being a Burbon man, I have given up on Scotch whiskey too... Irish Whiskey is what I still drink, occasionally...

I prefer Cognac, Eau de Vie or Calvados for "burnt" wines... But for pure spirits it's 100% Aquavit (Vodka) that counts!

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Mint Julep Recipe

I'm copying an internet recipe submitted by Trish Bales I've tried . I'm not much of drinker in general but this is very refreshing on a hot summer day. This is a batch recipe for a Kentucky Derby Party.

Mint Julep Recipe
    • 2 cups granulated sugar
    • 2 cups water (branch water is ideal)
    • fresh Mint
    • crushed Ice
    • Kentucky Bourbon (2 ounces per serving)
    Make a simple mint syrup by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes; cool. Place in a covered container with 6 or 8 bruised mint sprigs. Refrigerate overnight. This makes enough syrup for about 44 juleps. Make a julep by filling a julep cup or glass with crushed ice, then adding 1 tablespoon of mint syrup and 2 ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost outside of cup or glass. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.
    Extra Tips:
    • Always use premium Kentucky bourbon
    • Use crushed or shaved ice and pack in cup.
    • To bruise mint, place in a cup and gently pass the back of a spoon between cup and the leaves a time or two. You want the mint to release some of its fragrant oils.
    • Add a straw cut to protrude just above the rim of the cup and serve. You should be able to get a faint whiff of the mint sprig when you're sipping.
    • Keep the covered syrup in the refrigerator (after removing the mint leaves) if you don't plan on drinking all the servings.

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Hmm... Have to get me some Bourbon now, because that "Mint Julep" sounds just great!

9. VetsJetsnGuns

no crushed, always shaved ice, with no excess water

and this bad boy will do it Frozen Concoction Maker

and the pure silver tumbler; you want the outside of it to frost up. Can't be plated- thermodynamics are very important here.:cool:

other than that, the above recipe is perfect

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

dont forget the T-shirt for muddling and straining :D

11. lvbarber

lvbarber New Member

Wild Turkey mint julep: Follow the recipe except keep the bourbon in a seperate glass, after you have finished with the recipe throw it out and drink the bourbon. Rare Breed
    or 101.

12. VetsJetsnGuns

Awesome Wall Street Journal article on the Mint Julep

Took me a little while to find it...

13. drfredtx

drfredtx New Member

In Bourbons, I love one that you can almost chew. The 'chewiest' one I have found is George T. Stagg, +/- 140 proof. All the other times its definitely Knob Creek.

Fred

14. Automaton-Tim

Automaton-Tim New Member

+1 to JB Black, good stuff.

15. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

On the cheap: Old Crow
    On Sale: Bulleit Bourbon

16. ColbyPants

ColbyPants New Member

No I wouldnt hate you, though that is pretty much the only bourbon I dont drink regularly. That said the Beam Small Batch Collection's Knob Creek makes a mighty nice Manhattan, though Old Grand Dad Bottled In Bond (the 100 proof) is cheaper, and even better for that use.

17. ColbyPants

ColbyPants New Member

Wild Turkey makes some of the finest Whiskey in the world, in my opinion.

18. bandit

bandit New Member

i like bourbon but i'm more of a vodka man.

19. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I'm a scotch drinker (when I drink hard alcholol, which is rarely), but I do like Jim Beam and Old Crow once in awhile.

20. Empty_One

Empty_One New Member

I really like Elmer T Lee, WT 101, WL Weller 7yr/107 antique, and for a Rye, Rittenhouse BIB