SoS: August 4, 2014 - August 10, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 3, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Saturday 08/09/14

Prep: Gaia face scrub
    Oil: Shave Secret
    Brush: 20mm Whipped dog set deep
    Scuttle: Georgetown Pottery
    Razor: 1912 EverReady SE
    Blade: Gem Blue Star
    soap: french soap mix
    Witch Hazel: Generic unscented

I was originally going to say that I had an exceptional or outstanding shave today, but realized I needed to choose my words more carefully. It was an excellent 3 pass shave. But, I am to the point where I seldom if ever feel when I apply alum, I haven't nicked myself in a couple of months, and unless I do something wrong, my face feels better after the shave than it did before. So, a very close and near BBS shave, while excellent, has become the routine and not the exception. Therefore, I need to grab my thesaurus tonight and find some more words.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

As your technique improves you'll be able to switch up a lot more with no ill effects. I like you're having fun!

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Nev-A-Hone
    MWF
    Classic 2
    Fine Clean Vetiver
    Nice shave. I have to go to work for a few hours today which will give me close to 60 for the week, it's great to be salaried instead of hourly. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Saturn's Day (Speick Saturday):
    Prep: Hot shower, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, TSD Jasmine Sambac preshave balm
    Brush: Simpson 56 Best Badger
    Cream: Speick
    Razor: FaTip Piccolo
    Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (4)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (6, 7)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Speick AS splash
    Cologne: Xeryus by Givenchy

I don't typically face-lather the Speick cream - or any cream - but I did today. It was a bit trickier to get the right amount of cushion from it this way, almost certainly just due to unfamiliarity with the technique. Nonetheless, I wound up with the thick, slick lather that I expect from this great product. Unfortunately, the Perma-Sharp showed significant signs of wear and tear by the second pass, resulting in some redness and irritation on one cheek. I got DFS results from two passes, but the blade has been binned, with a Big Ben SS loaded into my 41c for tomorrow.

5. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: iKon Deluxe OC
    Blade: SuperMax SP Tiger (D4)
    Brush: Israeli Olivewood w 26mm HMB
    Bowl: Buffalo Horn 5” Lather Bowl
    Pre Shave Soap: MRGLO Lime
    Pre Shave Cream: Proraso Sensitive
    Shave Soap: Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe
    Aftershave: Florida Waters​

Yesterday afternoon had the distinct pleasure in with Stroker (Bruce) for a couple of hours as he is here in town with his fellow Shriners for a convention. Appears we have quite a few things in common; St. Louis, California, the Navy, and he lives an hour drive from my Mother-in-Law in Southern OR and the Shriners hall in her 1 stop light town is 6 miles right down the road. I was amazed as to the extent the Shriners go to help families in need and their zero cost to families with medical assistance for their children. My hats off to this organization and will try and support them this morning at the parade they are hosting in downtown Boise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Saturday morning, August 9, 2014

Schick E2 Injector with Schick blade (5)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a CCS!

B B 35.JPG

7. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Nice setup. Does the olivewood feel light in the hand? I love the grain, but worry it might feel too light.

ram57 and Llyr like this.
  8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Saturday

Cobra Classic
    Colonel in Manchurian
    Feather Pro blade
    RR Son of Zeus
    CC Cat o Nine Tails
    Simpson Balm
    [​IMG]

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

A little rough today.
    I wasn't feeling well when I woke up, so I looked forward to a nice shave to brighten my day. I chose Maggard Fougére because I haven't used it in a while. It lathered up very well and everything went well at the start. My first pass left my face a bit tender. Maybe I lost focus and got a bad angle. I decides to just to two passes, thinking it would be gentler, but the damage was done. My face is DFS, but a little tender. No nightmare shave by any means, just not great. The menthol in the AS was welcome, and I even added some FrostByte lotion on some spots.

Prep: RR/HTGAM lime menthol
    Soap: Maggard Fougére
    Brush: Rubberset 400
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Personna lab blue (2)
    AS: HTGAM Bay Rum Tonic, HTGAM FrostByte lotion
    [​IMG]

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice setup and I know all too well about the salaried issue.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

SOTD 2014 August 9th...

[​IMG]

TSimons, Bobcat, LifesShort and 16 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

Wouldn't it be better to be hourly when working 60 a week? Salaried you can work 60hrs and be paid for 40.

ram57, Llyr and GDCarrington like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes, that is the joys of salaried people that we know all too well. One of the perks of being considered "management" or "technical staff."

ram57, Llyr and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The more I shave my head, The more I love the tech.

15. RaZorBurn123

Gary. I've been salaried all my life, you can always count on what you'll get even in lean times. I've had a couple of hourly that make as much or more as I do. I quickly fix that.

ram57, Llyr and GDCarrington like this.
  16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Sorry, a cold water shave reminds me of shaving out in the brush in the Army. Always looked forward to that hot water when I got back.:transport024:

ram57 and Llyr like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I know what you mean. I had plenty in Vietnam. However, I just watched a video on cold water shaving on Razor Emporium, and I thought I would revisit it with my present equipment. I've been doing the cold water rinse for about a year. This is the first cold water shave I have had since Vietnam. I must say, I really enjoyed it. I am not sure if I can continue it into the winter months, but it was refreshing and zero irritation.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Llyr, TSimons, BigMark and 2 others like this.
  18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

[​IMG]

Two pass BBS.

This shave featured my first time ever using a vintage soap. The soap in the tub is Vintage Williams. I think it's from the 70's or the 80's. It's a completely different soap from the Williams we all know today. It lathered really well, had really good slickness, good cushion, and good skincare. I don't know what happened to the Williams of today to make it so mediocre.

I might be speaking too soon, but this injector is working really well for me. I guess the two year break did some good after all.

With the exception of the Turkish #6 Brush, I had an all American shave... maybe one day I'll get my hands on an Ever-Ready or Maid Rite brush handle and make it an all American shave.

19. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SOTD - Saturday, August 9, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Lime & Tea Tree PSO
    Brush: WD 24mm silvertip
    Cream: La Toja
    Razor: Merkur 38C
    Blade: Persona Lab Blue (1)
    Aftershave: Speick ASL

3 pass, CCS.

- Don

Llyr, TSimons, Bobcat and 15 others like this.
  20. BoxAlarm-81

BoxAlarm-81 Member

Soap: Tiki surfs up ( hold onto your coconuts, this stuff rocks!)
    Razor: Parker 96L
    Blade: Astra superior
    Skin balm: Nivea sensitive

Attached Files: