SoS: August 18, 2014 - August 24, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 17, 2014.

1. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20140821_074222.jpg today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    semouge 620 boar
    col conk's bay rum soap
    Gillette fatboy (d4)(7)
    persona lab(1)
    virgin island bay rum
    today's shave went well. woke up late, had to forgo posting to get out on time. shave was good, lather was pleasantly scented, thanks box tour. the semouge made the soap into nice lather.a new lab in the fatboy made me super smooth. finished with more bay rum.
    hope y'all had a great day.

3. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Thursday AM, Aug 21, 2014

TSD Sandalwood Lanolin soap
    Schick Micro-Magic
    Schick injector blade 5
    Vie-Long horse hair brush
    Alum block
    Fine Fresh Vetiver AS

Nice shave this morning, the TSD Lanolin performed great as expected. fifth shave on this Schick blade and it is still going strong. Really like the horse hair brush, a minimum amount of scritch and it lathers like crazy. Fine aftershave has just the right amount of menthol, felt good on this warm and muggy day.

DSCN0045[1] (800x600).jpg

4. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SOTD - Thursday, August 21, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Lime & Tea Tree PSO
    Brush: Classic Brand Super Badger
    Soap: Proraso Red
    Razor: Merkur 38C
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (5)
    Aftershave: TSD Iced SubZero splash

- Don

5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

2 bay rum products I have been meaning to try =P

6. Omelmad

That razor looks cool.

This week I had my first SE and open comb razor in the same shave. I got some bumps but that my fault, post shave routine or just technique

7. Omelmad

I love the MdC jar. Very luxurious =)

vwp528, RaZorBurn123, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140822.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger
    Gillette NEW LC
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Green
    CWR
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS

I received a 20s Old Type razor with ball end handle Tuesday. I got it all cleaned up, and for today's shave, I have paired the handle with my NEW LC.

The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap face-lathered very easily with my Frank Shaving Finest Badger brush. Two passes with my Gillette NEW LC and a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green blade gave me a close, comfortable, near BBS shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Planned Shave for 22 August 2014 ...

[​IMG]

figment714, Ryan B, Jayaruh and 20 others like this.
  10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

uploadfromtaptalk1408676365038.jpg

Not too bad, would have been better with a new blade not the NOS however I can easily see the reason so many love this razor and can't wait to give it a go when my Connaught order arrives!

figment714, Ryan B, Jayaruh and 19 others like this.
  11. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Gillette produced the Black Handle Super Speed from 1966 - 1988. (1988 pictured) There were subtle design changes during this time, including knurling on the handle, the baseplate went to a square shape, similar to the 195, and the Gillette logo also changed.

A mild shaver, I would compare it to the Tech design in terms of shave. I use this mainly as a head shaver, but do enjoy a face shave once in a while.[​IMG]

figment714, Ryan B, Jayaruh and 19 others like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thiers-Issard 7/8 ebony wood scales
    Oscar11 synthetic brush
    Proraso pre shave & sensitive soap
    Musgo Real AS & balm

IMG_3289.JPG

figment714, Ryan B, Jayaruh and 18 others like this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hot Shower followed by....HOT ! Whisker rinse, about 2 minutes
    Williams Mug Soap-my fav.
    Omega Baby Pro 10029-my fav.
    Star 1912-a pretty Bb normal run of the mill 1912-just goes to prove this design is fabulous.
    GEM Blue Blade d4-can't go wrong with GEM carbons...a little extra work to keep the rust away, but worth it.
    Post Shave: Dab of Vasoline Rescue Cream, rubbed between hands....then Witch Hazel and Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, 50/50 in palm. rub hands together, splash and rub face til hands are dry, and face feels fabulous...Then a liberal splash of Pinaud Bay Rum to seal the deal....Love It!

Today was the first shave with this Star. When I use a 1912 I usually use my Damaskeene, what can I say, I'm a romantic...;) And my Ever Ready has a beautiful Gold finish and that heavy ornate handle, she's a solid looker. My GEM 1912 has been refinished and loos like brand new....This Star is nothing special, other than its a 1912.... I tell ya...August Scheuber's design is bullet proof....This Star's shave plays second fiddle to no one...:kar:YMMV of course....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    figment714, Ryan B, Jayaruh and 17 others like this.
  14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

shave of the day 2.jpg

Today was the first shave with an open comb razor. I really like the Gilette New. Not only is it IMHO one of the nicest looking razors ever made but it is nice to use too. I think it is a short comb but i am not too sure. I need to have more shaves with this razor to see how good it can be as i think i was a little tentative today. Nevertheless, i had a comfortable, irritation free shave. Looking forward to using it again tomorrow.

figment714, Ryan B, dscaver and 20 others like this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Friday:

Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Rapira day 5
    Mama Bear Awakenings SS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    444 AS Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Alcolado Glacial Menthol Splash :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Santos de Cartier EdT

Here's another soap which I haven't used in ages - the Awakenings has an unusual, but nice scent and lathers quite well with a very good menthol effect. Its skincare is a bit off the mark, but it's still not that bad. The 444 balm really makes up for that and gives a powerful cooling sensation. The Penguin added its own freezing feeling to make the end of this shave all the more delightful. ;) :D

Have a great weekend, folks! :)

figment714, Ryan B, dscaver and 17 others like this.
  16. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Ferox Friday
    I just love the grapefruit scent of B&M Ferox, and the post shave smooth feeling is among the best of any soap I've tried. Today was no exception as my HIS easily whipped up plenty of lather, and my SC101 effortlessly mowed down my stubble. I finished up with Synergy Bay Rum Tonic for the great menthol cool, and pleasing scent.
    [​IMG]

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Hoffritz
    Maggard's SS
    homemade pure
    Nice shave and a looong week. I just hope it's over today and doesn't continue through the week end. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu, figment714, Ryan B and 20 others like this.
  18. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD August 21

Prep: hot shower
    Razor: WW2 Gillette Tech
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox (day 4)
    Brush: Vie-Long
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Passes: 2 (WTG, XTG)
    All good things must come to an end. This seems to be the beginning of the end for the Bolzano. Still a very close two pass DFS+ shave, but with some pulling and a small cut today.

Tdmsu, figment714, Ryan B and 16 others like this.
  19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Friday:
    hot shower w/T&H Grafton bar soap
    ShaveSecret PSO
    Parker 80R 2+ passes
    Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (5)
    Surrey boar
    Savon du Midi Savon a barbe Vetyver soap in a warm mug
    Thayers w/aloe
    T&H Grafton AS balm

Still taking it easy so 2 very light passes with a touch up. Considered finishing with Royall Vetiver but returned to the Grafton since my shower smelled so good.

0822140557.jpg

TSimons, Tdmsu, figment714 and 18 others like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20140822_074454-1.jpg today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    whipped dog silvertip
    Stirling sandalwood soap
    Gillette ball end long comb
    persona lab(2)
    clubman
    pinaud clubman
    today's shave was a good one. coulda stopped after two passes, did tthe third for gp. ended smooth. finished with clubman.
    y'all have a fabulous Friday

TSimons, Tdmsu, figment714 and 19 others like this.