SoS: August 25, 2014 - August 31, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

That is a great looking meat cleaver. You have come across some wonderful find in antique stores.

vwp528, Slow Joe, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some of MY favorites were on your list today: the R41 (of course!), the Astras (old reliable), and the Cade (great soap!)!
    That CMON Filly looks quite special, too! :drool:

crackstar and Llyr like this.
  3. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Thanks Guy! :)

crackstar, Llyr and ram57 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed, Bruce. I am aways impressed by the wide range of razors you bring out for the SOTDs!:happy088:
    Today's big Wosty is not only impressive to look at, but downright intimidating to imagine using!
    :scared003:

crackstar, Llyr, ram57 and 1 other person like this.
  5. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning, August 26, 2014

Schick E2 Injector with Schick blade (5)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a CCS!

B B 35.JPG

LifesShort, Troy M, moz68 and 19 others like this.
  6. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Thanks Kevin! Although I generally prefer the 5/8 - 6/8 size razor, it's fun to break this Wosty out and shave with it every now and then. It is actually a very great performer and delivers a very close comfortable and smooth shave. A gentle giant so to speak. :D

7. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

After yet another hiatus from both proper shaving and this forum, I am ready to resume my logging.

I have discovered that these posts can be quite useful for future reference. I have on more than one occasion searched my own posts for information on a particular soap, cream or razor blade. Especially blades since these are the hardware I find most interesting. Yes I know the performance on my every day blades, like GSP, 7 o’clock and the likes. But since I have a wide variety of 5 packs in different flavours I have yet to try or have forgotten that I have tried, it is always useful to check my own notes.

Anyway, after a few disappointing shaves using a Barrister & Mann sample, I picked out one of my sure things. The highly respected Geo F. Trumper cream. This one always gives me a pleasurable shave, and tonight was no exception.

The only thing I found puzzling was the blade. I have been very pleased with the Sputnik blades I purchased as part of a Russian sampler pack a while back. So pleased that I went and bought another hundred. This blade was from the last stock, and I feel that these do not give me the same great performance as the Sputniks from the Sampler pack. It might just be my imagination and memory messing with me, but it needs further study before I can draw any definite conclusion.

I used the infamous Pinaud Clubman aftershave today. Not because I wanted, but because I’ve had it for over a year and have yet to give it a decent chance. I am not a fan, I think it smells like someone’s dubious uncle, but I am sure that’s just prejudice talking.

Anyway, here’s Johnny:

Face Soap: Fitjar Preshave Soap
    Razor: Merkur HD
    Blade: Sputnik
    Brush: Merkur Futur
    Aftershave Lotion: Clubman Aftershave
    Aftershave Balm: Proraso Original Aftershave Balm

Shavelog August 2014 (3).jpg

8. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SOTD - Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Lime PSO
    Brush: Classic Brand Badger
    Soap: Stirling Grapefruit
    Razor: Weber bulldog handle
    Blade: PolSilver SI (5)
    Aftershave: mentholated Lime Sec

- Don

9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

10. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - Evening Shave, starring Burt Reynolds (a joke only a few of you will get)
    Fat Boy (8) w/Gillette Polsilver (1)
    C. O. Bigelow w/4 drops M-Bomb
    Proraso Preshave - Sensitive
    Witch Hazel, Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion
    3 passes, touch up

As long-time readers of my posts know, I just don't do well shaving with my vintages. I usually take the standard approach with my adjustables - start at "3" at work my way up. I usually quit by "5" because I get such terrible shaves. Today, I felt brave, so I cranked it up to "8" . . . and ended up with a DFS. I had several nicks, but they responded well to the styptic and cold water. And I had less overall irritation than usual. Live and learn.

LifesShort, figment714, Llyr and 18 others like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shave of Tomorrow (8/27)

[​IMG]

LifesShort, figment714, Llyr and 21 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140827.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Burma Shave Boar
    GEM G-bar
    CVS SE blade
    CWR
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Pinaud Clubman AS

The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap face-lathered very easily with my Burma Shave Boar brush. Two passes with my GEM G-bar and a CVS Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Pinaud Clubman after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed... Note: I only got two shaves out of the first CVS blade. It turns out they are not stainless. I noticed rusting on it and changed it for a new blade today. After today's shave, I cleaned the blade, dried it, and applied a little 3 in 1 oil. Let's see if I can get more than 2 shaves out of it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    LifesShort, figment714, Llyr and 19 others like this.
  13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Razor: GEM MMCP
    Blade: GEM
    Brush: Muhle Black Fiber Synthetic
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat

I rushed too much and got nicked.

[​IMG]

14. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

From 1961-1975 Gillette catered to the ladies by producing the Lady Gillette. (1967 shown)

These twist-to-open razors came with a longer handle and colors that included light blue, champagne, pink, and dark blue.

I enjoyed the longer handle, but wish it was just a tad bit more aggressive. I will have to try it on a head shave to get a fair review, but I will use this again.[​IMG]

15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

How does the Rose Petal witch hazel and the Pinaud Clubman combination work? I'm always curious about blending/matching products and the potential result.

16. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Smooth Wednesday
    I reached for the Ferox today, and it performed like a champ. Easy comfortable shave, leaving smooth skin and a pleasing scent.

Prep: RR/HTGAM lime menthol
    Soap: B&M Ferox
    Brush: HIS
    Razor: iKon SC101
    Blade: Personna lab blue (2)
    AS: Synergy Bay Rum Tonic
    [​IMG]

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wednesday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Rapira day 3
    HTGAM Frost_byte SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Lubriderm Unscented Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055:
    Barbon AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui EdT

My first shave with the Frost_byte soap which I received yesterday and is it as cold as the Glacials? No, not quite but it's not far off. It can definitely be considered a hyper-mentholated soap, and it still has plenty of menthol power. Its scent is nicer when the lather is on your face than when you sniff the soap from the container and the skincare's pretty good. The Barbon aftershave felt like heaven - man oh man, it's freezing also. Another great shave! ;) :D

18. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Cobra Classic
    Feather Pro
    M&F Chief
    RazoRock - The Freedberg
    Fine - Platinum

Creed - Aventus

19. razorguy

razorguy Well-Known Member

Tuesday August 27, 2014

[​IMG]

Wade & Butcher, The Celebrated Hollow Ground

Shaving with a quite old razor is always amazing. Not only because of the beauty of shaving with a magnificent razor like this one, but also for the excitement of knowing you are reviving a glorious an important story. A superb razor, no matter it is more than 100 years old, it is capable of ruling most of the "young" ones.​
    • Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre-Shave Green
    • Soap: P.160 Professional Shaving Soap
    • Brush: Wilkinson Boar Brush
    • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
    • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
    • Razor: Wade & Butcher, The Celebrated Hollow Ground, 13/16 Quarter Hollow, Barber's Notch
    • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • After Shave: Myrsol F/Extra After Shave

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    art of shaving pure badger
    Coates lavender
    Gillette fatboy(d4)(7)
    persona lab(1)
    Barbasol brisk
    running late, great shave. only thing new is the brisk. pretty nice.
    Y'all have a brisk day
    20140827_075346-1.jpg