SoS: August 25, 2014 - August 31, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 24, 2014.

1. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Sunday

Prep: soak brush, wash with Clear Essentials glycerin soap
    Soap: Tiki Bar unscented
    Brush: Oscar11 HIS synthetic
    Razor: Feather ASD2
    Blade: Feather
    After: Cold rinse, CeraVe lotion

Comfortable smooth shave on a cool, cloudy Sunday morning.
    [​IMG]

Stroker, LifesShort, Ryan B and 15 others like this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My dear friend, you also have beautiful pictures. Be proud of them! :)

RaZorBurn123 and ChiefShaver like this.
  3. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Sunday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Cella Extra Extra Purissima & suribachi
    Brush - Omega 40033
    Razor - JBF Champlin 6/8

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

:eatdrink013:

Stroker, LifesShort, Ryan B and 13 others like this.
  4. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Thank you Jeff, my dear Friend. :happy108::signs001:

crackstar likes this.
  5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Good evening.

Today’s shave was one of the best/closest shaves I've had in a long time. And I guess I have to go ATG to achieve a better result, and I seldom see the need to do that.

The shave started rather disappointing. The blade felt like it had lost its edge and was slightly less sharp than what I usually expect from a Crystal blade at the third shave. But luckily I remembered that I was using an adjustable razor and lowered the setting down to level 3.
    I do think I have read somewhere that a Progress set at the third level is become or less the same razor as the Merkur 34c, and since this is my favourite razor; it makes sense that this adjustment made this shave reach its full potential and the razor glided effortlessly against my skin.

The soap I used was a new acquisition purchased from a fellow Norseman and it proved to be very good. It took very little loading to get a huge amount of quality lather that really made this shave stand out.
    Granted, I am probably a tad biased since I like to use Norse products in my shave. But since my hips don’t lie, I can only assume that my cheeks and chin follow the same philosophy. It was a very close shave with no irritation. Even now, 10 hours later I have a very decent DFS going for me.

The smell of this soap on the other hand, was rather interesting. At first glance/whiff it smells like the “bubble water” that my kids use to blow bubbles with. After a few more whiffs, it adds something to the scent, but I have yet to identify it. More like a combination of fresh grass and regular soap, I suppose. It is pleasant, but not what I would call a lovely smell.

But it was a lovely shave :)

Face Soap: Fitjar Preshave Soap
    Razor: Merkur Progress
    Blade: Crystal (3)
    Brush: Merkur Futur
    Aftershave Lotion: Lucido
    Aftershave Balm: D.R Harris Aftershave Milk

DSC_8135.JPG

6. crackstar

Frode, what's going to be - apparently Fitjar is stopping production. Is it true?

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yeah I'd get an alum block, it would help.

Shotwell likes this.
  8. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

9. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

Prep: Shower and Pacific Shaving Pre Shave Oil
    Razor: Valet Autostrop
    Blade: Pella GEM PTFE coated
    Brush: Generic Black Badger
    Soap/Cream: Cyril R Salter French Vetiver
    Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine
    Results: An excellent nearly BBS shave with virtually zero irritation. The Salter creams are always top performers, and the autostrop is one of my favorite vintage razors (even if preparing blades takes a little bit of work).

10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

That is correct, Jeff The production has already stopped and most of the stuff is sold out.
    All due to new rules and regulations from the EU.
    Luckily I managed to hoard a few soaps before it was emptied, but regret that I did not do the same with the cream :(

This is what the soapmaker posted on the web about this turn of event:

25. juni 2014: Time has come for a change. After careful consideration, I have decided to discontinue production ar Fitjar Soap.

The reason for this decision is that during the last year there are new requirements for marketing and sale of cosmetics, in Norway and EU. For my small business these demands have serious consequences, so that I no longer consider it appropriate to continue operations.
    This occurs in a year in which:

1 The sales are better than ever

2 Feedback from my dear customers is overwhelmingly positive at home and abroad

3 The company’s finances are solid. (I have had good results every year since I started, and record results in 2013)
    Nevertheless, the situation is such that the new cosmetics legislation involves comprehensive bureaucratic requirements, so there is no longer an economic basis for continued operation. I have a total of about 120 self-made products and the EU regulations require extensive documentation and analysis of each product in order to market and sell it. I have therefore decided to close down the operation of Fitjar Soap and find other activities on which I will spend my energy.

Obviously, this is sad, especially considering my dear customers. But I’m working on getting other ( larger players ) to take over, particularly the shaving products . At present it is uncertain what the solution will be, but I hope this will be resolved so that Fitjar Soap shaving products can live on under other management. As of now, I have some of all the products on shelf, and these remaining products on shelf will be sold while supplies last.

Warmest regards, Jorunn

11. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Rocking good shave today!!

Prep: CWS

Brush: WD Silvertip

Soap: Proraso white

Razor: Parker 91r

Blade: Rapira PL

After: Old Proraso Green AS (alum applied pre AS)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409524337.499149.jpg
    :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  12. crackstar

Thanks for the information, Frode. It's really unfortunate about that.

Norseman, ram57 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Sorry to hear about this hard working craftsman losing his business due to another set of regulations. Expect much more situations such as this in the future. It seems the only thing that the only employment area that is booming world wide is governmental bureaucratic positions which produce far, far more negatives outcomes than they do positive outcomes. <rant off>

Ryan B, Troy M, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  14. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Razor: ER 1912
    Blade: GEM
    Lather: Provence Sante + Dr. Dittmar

The Provence Sante was awful. I finished up with Dr Dittmar for the last pass. I rarely shave ATG on chin because of irritation but I decided to and got a very close shave there.

15. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SOTD - Sunday, August 31, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Lime PSO
    Brush: Classic Brand Badger
    Soap: Stirling Padre Island
    Razor: Weber PH w/ bulldog handle
    Blade: Rapira (3)
    Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum with Limes & Peppercorns

- Don

16. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Guy;
    Can you compare Le Pere Lucien to another french soap? For example, PDP, MDC. etc.

ram57 likes this.
  17. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Only other French soap I have tried to date is MdC. I hadn't used this soap in months so I had forgotten how easy it was to lather up. I did nine swirls with a brush and WAY to much as I used a 5"x3" lather bowl and filled it 60-65% full with lather. Only needed two passes but had enough for at least a 5 pass shave. Aroma to me is a light Lavender with Rosemary but not sure as I bought it first day available and ingredients were not listed back then on the site. At half the price of MdC it is very good and like Mdc one jar will last a very long time if you don't overdue the lather Like I did. Is it the Mdc killer some were claiming, no but it is a very good soap and worth the price compared to others I have tried.

Norseman likes this.
  18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Thanks.

ram57 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We need more rants like this one. :happy088:

Ryan B, ram57, Norseman and 1 other person like this.