SoS: September 15, 2014 - September 21, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Sep 14, 2014.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, what's going on here - it's so chilly outside here in Montreal. I don't care because I'm still brave enough to give myself a good face-freezing shave. Here are my plans.

Menthol Monday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/new Sharp
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui EdT

A colder set-up than this would be very hard to find because every item is so potent that it freezes the face like crazy. Even the Neutrogena facial wash is loaded with menthol and it turns really cold when it's on your face for a couple of minutes. The Glacial Wintergreen soap comes from the most powerful menthol family on this planet, and the matching witch hazel can teach the Rubby Dubby Doo a few things about face-freezing. I want to see how different the Sharp blades are from the Rapiras. ;) :D

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Travel Kit :transport015:

IMG_0766.JPG Just in case. :shaver

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I'm using my SE Schick Injectors for the rest of the month since this is SEptember. Better late than never I suppose.

Monday SEptember 15, 2014

IMG_0770.JPG My Schick I-1 Injector Razor AKA "Sting Ray"

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140915.jpg
    Cold Water Shave

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger
    '62 Gillette Slim
    Astra SP (3)
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Mitchell's Wool Fat face-lathered very easily with my Frank Shaving Finest Badger Brush. Two passes with my Gillette Slim and Astra SP blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A mentholated day ...

[​IMG]

9-15-2014 Shave Plan

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Bartmann 86
    Whipped Dog synthetic brush
    Barrister & Mann Caledonia Rose soap
    Rose of Bulgaria shave cream
    Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
    Rose of Bulgaria AS

IMG_3589.JPG

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MONDAY
    Evening Shave for Tomorrow
    Since I'll be packing up this razor and shipping it 'out West' to PIF-Winner @Darkbulb on Tuesday, I thought I'd better take it for a test drive tonight since I may be out & about tomorrow.
    This is a very light razor in the hand. The lacewood scales are on the thinner side and since the wood is light to begin with, the overall effect in the hand is surprisingly good balance without the 'top-heaviness' I was concerned might be the case.
    Most razors you can balance at the pivot point; some tend to be bottom heavy. You can see this razor's balancing point in the 2nd pic below.
    But enough of the circus stunts, how'd it shave?
    In a word: loudly. The full 5/8 half-hollow blade just 'sings' as you mow down whiskers. Smooth, too. The square point is slightly softened so one has to work at it if one is determined to gouge the face.
    Overall a very pleasant shaver! One of the easier razors I've used in recent memory. Good one for a beginner...;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Planned SOTD Monday 15Sep14
    Cold Water Shave

[​IMG]
    Left to Right; RazoRock Ultimate Aftershave Alum; Arletta's Mug I (Daughter's White Coffee Mug ) ; Above the Tie Atlas R-1 88mm Kronos Handle;"Oscar11" Custom 24/48mm TGN Super Finest Black& White Resin Handle; Pacific Shaving Co. All Natural Shaving Oil; Wilkinson Sword DE Blades Black Container ; Captain's Choice North A/S

Shower & Pre-Shave:
    Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
    Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo - Extra Strength
    Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care For Men Bar Soap
    Pacific Shaving Co. All Natural Shaving Oil
    Face Towel Soaked in "Ice Cold Water"

Deodorant's :

Old Spice Classic

Razor & Razor Blades:
    Wilkinson Sword DE Blades {3}
    ATT Atlas R-1 88mm Kronos Handle

Shaving Mug & Shaving Soap & Brush:

Arletta's Mug I (Daughter's White Coffee Mug)
    Vander-Williams Shave Soap aka Patrick's Blend

"Oscar11" Custom 24/48mm TGN Super Finest Black& White Resin Handle

After Shave Balm's:
    RazoRock Ultimate Aftershave
    Nivea After Shave Balm

After Shave:
    Captain's Choice North A/S

Being as the WTG-XTG-ATG method worked each day that I shaved, I will use it again .

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

B&M Monday
    I'm stuck on B&M lately. I love the performance and post shave feel. Today it was Ferox and then Kyovu bay rum aftershave from the sample I got from a buddy. A little goes a long way, and it makes my skin feel great.

Prep: RR/HTGAM lime menthol
    Soap: B&M Ferox
    Brush: HIS
    Razor: iKon SC101
    Blade: Personna lab blue (3)
    AS: B&M Kyovu bay rum
    [​IMG]

10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Monday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Bath Soap
    Soap: Cold River Soap Works-Bergamot & Bay
    Razor: Gillette Slim
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
    Brush: oscar11 TGN 2-Band Finest-24mmx50mm
    Aftershave: Fine American Blend

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Back with CRSW Bergamot & Bay. Quick easy lather after loading for 20 seconds. GSB in the Slim. Another excellent smooth, close, nick free shave. I finished with Fine American Blend.

Bob

[​IMG]

11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

9/15/14

Prep: warm wash with Stirling Naked & Smooth bath soap
    Lather: hobbyist IanS lavender soap
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M horsehair
    Razor: Gillette New SC
    Blade: Treet Dura Sharp Carbon

New blade to me - Treet Dura Sharp carbon steel blade. 2 passes and the resulting shave was just fine. I can't really tell that the blade is any different on the first use from any other blade - perhaps not quite as smooth, but it cut the whiskers and not the skin and that is a good thing. Finished by taking out the blade and wiping everything dry and palm stropping (just like I do every day) and then reassembling everything dry.

Have a great week.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20140915_074821-1.jpg today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    rubberset custom two band
    c.o.bigelow
    Gillette fatboy(d4)(7)
    Gillette Wilkinson sword(3)
    Skin Bracer
    today's shave was very good. smooth comfortable. sometimes I can understand the hoopla about the fatboy. it gives a very nice shave. finished with Bracer, by mennen.
    my new brush is doing very nicely, I am going to use it more often to break it in some.
    hope y'all have a smooth and comfy Monday

13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Monday:
    hot shower w/English Leather bar soap
    ShaveSecret PSO
    Gillette Ball End Tech 2 passes
    Gillette Super Thin Platinum (4)
    Omega boar
    TSD Leather soap in a warm bowl
    Thayers unscented w/aloe
    English Leather AS

Quick and smooth this morning. Never a BBS with this mild razor but always safe and easy to hurry me out the door to start the week.

0915140557.jpg

14. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD September 15

Prep: hot shower
    Razor: WW2 Gillette Tech
    Blade: BIC (day 2)
    Brush: Vie-Long
    Soap: Margaritas in the Arctic
    Passes: 2 (WTG, XTG)

My alarm got turned off, so I slept in a little this morning. Not the preferred way to start the day but it is getting better.

It's been too long since it's last appearance, so I hunt for the MITA. It was well worth the hunt. I didn't get an excess of lather today, but I got more then I needed. The first pass was typical for me, great protection and glide, but zero menthol feeling. The menthol did make it through with the second pass, it almost made me later up for a third pass... despite taking a shavecation yesterday, two passes was all I need. I finished up with 444 and still managed to make it to the bus stop on time.

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Menthol Monday:

Prep: Hot shower, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub Cleanser, TSD Jasmine Sambac Preshave balm
    Brush: Simpson 56 Best Badger
    Soap: Ginger's Garden Grass Stain Menthol Snow
    Razor: FaTip Piccolo OC
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox (1)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (1, 2)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS splash
    Cologne: Xeryus by Givenchy

After two days without shaving, my neck was healed enough to let me attack the stubble again, and there was definitely enough stubble for the attack. I considered switching to the milder 41c, but I decided I didn't want to start thinking of one of my razors as 'too dangerous,' so I loaded up the Bolzano in the Piccolo, as that blade works best in that razor for me. Great lather as always from the Ginger's Garden, and two passes produced a DFS with no bloodshed or irritation. That said, I wasn't going to press my luck today with a third pass.

16. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

9/15/2014 Menthol Monday!!

Prep: Hot shower with L'Oreal Men Expert Facial Wash, home made PSO
    Razor: Muhle R41 2011, CMON Filarmonica Doble Temple straight razor
    Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium (1)
    Brush: Vie Long Horse Hair 23mm knot
    Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap with 5 drops of TSD M Bomb menthol additive
    After: Home made ASB, Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue after shave
    Cologne: Prada - Amber Pour Homme Intense

I soaked the Williams puck while took a shower. I loaded up the brush heavy, added the M Bomb and went to face lathering. I had to use a lot of water, but I did get a decent lather. The CMON and the R41 made quick work of the two day growth. I ended up with an almost BBS face today. The AV continued the chill and the Prada will keep me smelling great for the rest of the day.

Have a blessed day!!

IMG_20140915_083214.jpg

17. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Monday 09/15/14

Prep: Gaia face scrub
    Oil: none today
    Brush: 20mm Whipped dog set deep
    Scuttle: Georgetown Pottery
    Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
    Blade: Ladas
    soap: My French Soap Mix
    Witch Hazel: Generic unscented
    AS: Sampson's all natural

I have been routinely using a pre-shave for over a year and was wondering if it actually did anything or if I was just going through the steps because that's what I always did. So, I decided to test whether or not pre-shave oil helps my shave. Today I didn't use a pre-shave and there was a difference in both slickness and smoothness of the shave. I will be going back to a pre-shave tomorrow. But, for today I did get a very nice 3 pass shave.

Rose of Bulgaria is my favorite rose cream. The scent is excellent. I've never tried barrister & mann's rose soap. How is it? Would you buy again?

19. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Monday
    hot shower
    Semogue 620
    Proraso PPC :love055::love055: :smiley freezing::smiley freezing:
    TSD ISZ Lanolin Soap :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Gillette New SC/Supermax Sunrise (1)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Tend Skin
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH :love055::love055::angry021::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    The Rub :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:,I didn't really need The Rub, but I wanted to prolong the freeze :D
    Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache edp

Great shave,great freeze,plus BBS face and dome!!!

Stay frosty,my friends! :cool:

20. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

No shave this morning. I'm letting the beard grow-in for a few days to see how a straight handles the longer whiskers. Just a hot shower and strong black coffee...:bath: