Your Top 5 Bay Rums

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Orgoglio italianO, Mar 10, 2014.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I got a sample pack from Captain's Choice Bay RumA/S & NorthA/S & Lime A/S & Cat of Nine Tails A/S.

I like the Bay Rum and Cat of Nine Tails . The Cat of Nine Tails is a bit heavy in scent of Cloves like on your Easter Sunday Ham.

Boojum1 and Llyr like this.
  2. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Where do you find a Bay Rum??? I have no idea where to even start looking, except online. Anyone have ideas for retail options?

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Pinaud Bay Rum can be found at many Walgreens or CVS pharmacies. Others are usually online unless you have a shaving supply or barber shop supply nearby.

Boojum1, Adonis and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. PatrickA51

I have seen it in the local WalMart by my house had it a couple of months ago.

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The regular Pinaud Clubman is everywhere, but the Bay Rum only seems to be at certain store locations.

Paul Turner and Boojum1 like this.
  6. PatrickA51

It really seems you can be looking for something else,{Shaving Soaps} and of course they don't evr have any but you can see this stuff when you are not looking for it.

7. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Some drugstores carry Superior 70.

8. Shotwell

Thanks! I see Walgreen's Online has the Superior 70... so I'm going to hit my local Walgreen's tomorrow to see if they stock it.

On a related note, I thought I'd go old school and bought the regular Clubman Pinaud tonight at the CVS near my house. But after one small splash of it my wife declared that it was disgusting. (I kind of liked it, but if the wife hates it, it's now on the no-fly list.) So I'm not sure about trying any of the other Clubman types. The Ogallala Bay Rum, the Barberry Coast Bay, and the Captain's Choice Lime all sound intriguing, though. So far -- and I'm admittedly a novice -- the only scent I've really enjoyed and bought more than once is the Cade by L'Occitane.

9. PatrickA51

Eric;
    First off welcome to The Shave Den, there is an abundance of information to be had here on the Shave Den. :signs046:
    Look on Amazon if you can't find any they have several brands of After Shaves, Or you can look here online also.http://ogallalabayrum.com

Boojum1 likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not an uncommon spousal reaction to Clubman. The 'old man smell' of Pinaud Clubman appeals to a specific market or demographic. I myself don't really mind the scent—but I get why others find it less appealing. My three sons and wife prefer I leave it in the bottle, so I oblige rather than offend. ;)

Boojum1 and Shotwell like this.
  11. Shellbriar

Shellbriar Member

In no particular order:
    1. Royall
    2. Stephens
    3. Clubman
    4. Layrite
    5. eBarber

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I havent seen it yet at mine. They have Pinaud Classic but no Bay rum :(

13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

RBR was once the standard by which others were judged. Sadly, it too has succumbed to reformulation and I am left with empty, hand blown bottles with dry bay leaves as the only contents. This is lamentable...

In it's absence, I now use CC. I have heard St. Johns is very excellent.

[​IMG]

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. Shotwell

Well, I took the plunge the other day and ordered a bottle of the Captain's Choice Lime, figuring that I'd probably like it based on reviews I'd read.

I was wrong.

Blech. Not what I expected at all... the spiciness overwhelms the lime, and it smells to me more like limes that have gone bad.

Now I'm kind of stuck with it, I guess. At least until I hit the three-month membership mark where I can trade or sell it.

15. Shotwell

Yeah, I tried Walgreen's, Rite Aid, and CVS... and even Sally Beauty Supply and could only find the Clubman Pinaud at each of these places. No bay rum, no lilac vegetal.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Looks like online is your best bet… Pinuad at Walgreens

17. Shotwell

Only drawback is that I can't smell it first. Still not sure I want to buy something I may detest... Already had that experience (see above, re: Cap's Choice Lime).

If only you could smell things through the Internet.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I understand that, but the relatively low-cost of entry may be worth the 'gamble.' Or you continue to drive all over town until you locate it. I'd rather save on the gas money and order online if I can't find it locally.

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree with you if we could only smell it online.:)
    If it helps I like the Pinaud VI Bay Rum, in fact it's my favorite Bay Rum, but I've never found it local either...I have found "The Veg" locally at an independent drug store, but a word of warning if you order it( it's a VERY love it or hate it scent), your wife and you also for that matter may easily HATE it! I like "The Veg" but "MANY" people don't so if you order some be prepared to give it at least a couple of tries, before you give it away..:happy102: It smells different(better) after it dries down. :)

Edit: I forgot to put the other Bay Rum's I've used and liked.
    Stephans
    Gabels
    Masters
    Superior 70

Does Old Spice count as a Bay Rum? :confused:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Oh, I like this thread! I haven't picked up a bay rum yet and I need too! Sounds like Ogallala is the overall consensus here...

HolyRollah likes this.