Fireplace anyone?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Sep 24, 2014.

1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

How many of you will be using a Fireplace now that the colder nights will soon be upon us?

One of my pics from last winter. My fireplace is a little small, but I look forward to spending cold nights in front of a roaring fire. CAM00023.jpg

Peter Cupitt and Tdmsu like this.
  2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Can't wait!

J_Man likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Wood Stove (s) here, one in the Living room and one out in the Shop :)

We call the one in the living room the "Devil Box" because on a cold winter night when we have it kicking, between the cracklin fire, and the warm heat, there is no way the wifey nor I can stay awake :D

Looked for a pic which I know are on here but just couldn't find one :(

J_Man likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My new house has a functioning fireplace which I'm looking forward to using this Fall/Winter especially as the last house (for the last 16 years) didn't have one. :(

J_Man likes this.
  5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I have a ''gas fireplace". It warms the house, looks realistic, and is a very meditative experience. I stare at it for hours and let my mind wander. Nice hearth, my friend.

J_Man likes this.
  6. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

Wood burning

Attached Files:

J_Man likes this.
  7. J_Man

To be honest I just like lighting stuff on fire.:signs136:

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've had wood, coal, and now gas. I like the wood, but the gas is cleaner and easier. With the ducting, I use it to heat different areas of the house.

CyanideMetal and Kilgore Trout like this.
  9. J_Man

A good friend of mine had his traditional fireplace converted to gas a few years ago. I can see how it would be much more convenient than constantly having to add wood to the fire, and no more need to carry wood into the house makes me a little jealous.

10. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Where I am (In Australia) I think we may only have to light our fireplace a couple more times before the summer temperatures start in Its already Mid 20 degrees (C) and winter hasn't finished.
    I would not miss our wood burning heater if it got stolen tonight. My wife wanted the heat/look/romance of the heater and I got the cold/wet/splinters/spiders and expense.:signs131:

11. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

THAT was the one positive that I came up with :signs136:x2

J_Man likes this.
  12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I guess I will save the traditional experience for shaving. ;)

J_Man likes this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Alas! No fireplace nor stove over here. :(
    I'd love to have one though. It gives a much nicer heat than central gas heating. The in-laws have got a stove. connected to their central heating. Best of both worlds!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

We are still using the pool here, but I converted our fireplace to gas and ceramic logs about 15 yrs. ago. We love it in the winter, which for here is a ways off.

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got one, but rarely use it. Not even for those romantic evenings.

16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have one of these see through, two door something something fireplaces.
    I am not sure what its called in English, but It looks rather pleasant. But it could be warmer and less sooty..?
    What I mean is that the glass door gets all sooted down after a few uses. Not the best construction IMO

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

In the past I used wood to heat my house. Did it for 3 years without relying on the gas furnace. It was a chore. I now use a vent free gas one. Economical and a lot easier!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I have a fireplace, but haven't used it in 15 years. For some reason they put fireplaces in houses in Houston, they waste wall space and you never use them.

ObiDon likes this.
  19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

When I was living in Texas, we had a fireplace. I hated that thing. It used up a lot of room. My ex wanted to use it but I said no way since I was the one who was going to have to find firewood.

It did come in handy for burning stuff with my SSN or credit card numbers on it though.

In the first house I ever lived in, we had a wood burning stove in the living room. It had been in my family for years. We also had a corn burning stove when I was in grade school.

crackstar likes this.
  20. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

It was down into the 60s in Sugar Land last night. Had to turn the ceiling fans off last night. :Animatedfrozensmily: