What about the Turkish #6?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jayaruh, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    turkish_no6gs.jpg
    Turkish #6 horse hair brush. This is the brush sold by Bestshave.net, located in Turkey. It is a popular brush that was out of stock for the summer up until September. As soon as I saw that it was available again, I put in my order. While I was at it, I also ordered some Arko Shaving Cream. Prices are very good, but shipping from Turkey is rather slow. Shipping for the brush and cream was $6.08. The brush was $2.49 and the cream was $2.65, so, shipping was more than my goods. It took 20 days to arrive, but the wait was worth it.

turkish#6s.jpg

I did a test lather with the brush and some VDH Deluxe shaving soap the day it arrived. Then I used the brush for my next six shaves using the ARKO Shaving Cream. I face lather, and this brush does a good job. This is my first horse hair brush, and I had read that they have their own "stink," but that was not an issue for me. It did smell some, but it was not strong or offensive. After the test lather and six shaves the smell is almost all gone.

The knot is not dense, but it is not scratchy and has some backbone. The knot is 23 mm with a loft of 40 mm. The handle is wood and is 40 mm.

turkish_no6es.jpg

It is a handsome brush for $2.49 and shipping. I am glad I got it. I like saving money, and this is a good way to do it. I believe that my next order from Bestshave.net will include about five of these brushes. They will make great gifts for newbies. I will also be trying out some of the other ARKO creams. If you choose to order from Bestshave.net, just remember that it may take 20-40 days to deliver in the US. Just put your order in and forget about it. One day, BING, there it is. I'm glad I did it.

turkish_no6ds.jpg

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yup, that "horse hair" is the best boar I ever used! :lyrtuy5: A tremendous value at this low price.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Although the QC at bestshave (or whoever makes the #6) isn't the best, I love the #6 horse. The price is hard to beat! Like you, I just place my order and forget about it, then one day "SURPRISE"!!! I also get a couple of #6's when ever I place an order at bestshave.net. I've got several now. I'm collecting the brushes for the knots, so when I get enough I can reknot some vintage handles I have. :happy088:

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

First of all stellar review.
    Secondly, you now have me wanting to put down $6 for the brush (that would even cover shipping) :)

Finally, can anyone with any certainty determine if it is boar or horse hair? Reason for asking is that I've heard both comments earlier

5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks seems like there is a firm consensus on that it indeed is boar. Or horse. Or maybe boar...or... :)

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I've even read a post claiming it was goat hair. You don't hear much about them, this one is advertised on Amazon as a goat hair brush.

[​IMG]

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is a very :signs021: idea. I think I will steal it.

9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

How about a Hybrid animal called a Borse.

Doryferon and Darkbulb like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ah, but there are horse and boar combos just like badger and boar combos!

Doryferon and BigMark like this.
  11. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

But in saying that ive heard some if the best boar brushes. I might be wrong, I dont use boar.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

kinda hair
    I had a sergeant once who would tell guys they had "kinda hair"
    he'd say," better tighten up that kinda hair"
    they would ask, what is kinda hair.
    he would always reply, as he would flip, either their chin or behind the ear. " the kinda hair that grows on a goat's backside "
    sorry to ramble, talking about goat hair reminded me of him. I thought it was funny enough to share.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I have 3 of the Bestshave brushes. They are in my rotation as ones of my favorites. Horse?, boar? I believe that they are different from any of the boar brushes that I have.
    What ever animal or plant they they came from they are an excellent value and nice brushes.

(Definitely not Goat. I purchase two goat combination brushes from China . They 'knotted' unrepairably after their first use).

14. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    A pox upon this supposed controversy, I say! A most blightful, lingering, pustule-filled, FATAL pox! Death to conjecture, supposition and preference. Get thee to the most pious church of evidence and kneel at the altar, drink from its cup, and pray for enlightenment. Once enlightened, become Truth's champion and cast the light of evidence into all of the dark corners of shavedom.

AND... if you are ordering from bestshave.net, make sure to get some $2 Yuma razors! I loaned out my last one (trying to convert a cartridge guy) and miss it dearly!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    178-bplatoon and jeraldgordon like this.
  15. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Amen!

16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I left a message at Bestshave asking what the #6 knot was made from. I have not heard from them. It took a month or so to hear from them the last time I asked a question. That's why they are Bestshave and not Bestemailresponse.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Folks regardless of the source of hair it is an excellent brush for the price.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I wrote in B&B forum:

and a member from turkey answered to me:

:happy096:

Take a look at: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/turkish-6.36321/page-2#post-642978
    So "which is which" as GDC said ?
    If someone has a doubt i will post a photo from all my Boars included the 2 turkish brushes
    Can any one who support that those brushes are "horses" separate the "horse" brush ?

Remember my above post about the "tea".

;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    First, I always enjoy your input. I think you are much closer to a real answer than anyone in the USA. BUT... (you knew that was coming ;) )

What you share could be true, but I think it is not conclusive proof.

hear•say (hîrˈsāˌ)
    • n. Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor.
    • n. Law Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony.

Hmm... I think it is time to watch TV. I wonder is Judge Judy is on... :scared007:

20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I ordered one brush too and waiting for it to arrive...very curious on the brush. Seems to be a great buy for the money.:)