Issues with D.R.Harris

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by tuxxdk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

I'm having some difficulties with my Arlington puck.

The lather much resembles what I get from Williams, that is, pretty thin/airy with tiny tiny tiny foam bubbles. Not the bubbles you get from adding too much water but another kind of bubbles. Applied on skin it looks thin. There's glide but not so much cushion so nicks are easy to get.

This is not quite what I'm expecting from a premium soap maker and also not what web reviews make be believe is normal.

I feel I've tried a lot. Different brushes (boar, badger), different water ratios, different wetness of brush and so forth, all with the same outcome. I've also tried to reload the brush during lather so it gets thicker, but I still have that foamy lather that's not like the whip cream I get from everything else, Williams aside.

Any pointers?

2. sugarcane

sugarcane Member

Load more product.

3. tuxxdk

I did that, alas no positive result.

4. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

I have a puck of Arlington that I use frequently. I've used badger, boar, and synthetic brushes and never fail to get great lather with this soap. Typically, I will add about a tablespoon of hot water to the top of the puck and let it sit while I shower (about 10 minutes). I wet my brush and fling out any excess water before moving to the puck. I make 25 - 50 swirls on the soap, letting any proto-lather fall into my bowl. I then move to the bowl and lather normally, swirling and pumping the brush for 45 -60 seconds, adding a few drops of water with my fingers as needed 2 or 3 times as the lather builds. Actually I find that the Arlington is one of my easiest soaps to lather. I live in Phoenix, where the water is very hard, but Arlington seems to have no trouble with it.

If you continue to have issues, I would try loading more product onto the brush initially before you begin building your lather, and add water slowly in several doses as you build.

Hope this helps.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As has been said, more product, less water. I had no issues with my Marlborough.
    If you really like the scent but continue to have problems getting a lather you like, try adding a squirt or dollop of unscented shaving cream. That will thicken up the lather without covering up the scent.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I generally found the DR Harris soaps quite easy to lather.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

use the puck like a stick and load your brush as well.

8. tuxxdk

I'll try even more product today, but I just can help but feel I've already tried it. Definitely worth another shot :happy088:

9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Good luck, the only other thing I could think of trying , in addition to the other great ideas you have got here,is try and vary the amount of water in your brush before you load up. You could with a damp brush, if that doesn't work try a wetter or drier brush next time. No idea if it will help though..

10. tuxxdk

Not a bad idea. Now that I recall, I had similar issues with VDH. I solved it with a soaking wet brush for loading and then lather like normal.

11. tuxxdk

Seriously, when is enough, enough? I've tried it numerous times now and I get mediocre results every time. It really sucks, it was a gift from SWMBO so I want to like it, but I just don't enjoy the shaves. That can't be the purpose of the effort put into it, so I guess it'll get another home soon.

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I recall at the beginning mine was so dense/hard that it took several weeks to break in. In that time it gave me airy lather as well and took tons of brush action to get the lather thick. I think it needed the moisture from daily use to soften it up. To accelerate that process you might try soaking if overnight to soften it up so more product gets on the brush faster. Another way could be to shred it with a cheese grater, add some water so you can form it into a wet ball, and press that into your bowl. Mine produced great-fast lather four times a week for 1.5 years, seemingly lasting forever. That density has it's benefits, but you must overcome it to get the lather it is capable of.

13. F. Dragos

F. Dragos Active Member

Start with a dry brush. If you see foamy stuff forming while loading - discard it and continue to load until a quite dry paste forms on the tips as well as into the brush. Start lathering and incrementally add water until the desired consistncy has been reached. I load my soaps for about 1min and spend a few more to build the lather.
    btw. face / bowl lathering ?

14. tuxxdk

One day I'll try with a dry brush. As of now, I need a break from it.

Also I'll try and soak it to soften it up.

I bowl lather. I can't/wont face lather. It's not me. Not working. I need a bowl.

Thanks for the tips :)

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My only advice try some VDH Delux or order some Rays of Colorado goat soap or Arko. I also only bowl lather, as I find it less messy, offer me more control and produces a better lather for me and doesn't take any more time than face lathering...:)

16. swarden43

Have you tried this?

17. tuxxdk

Yes and no. I have tried numerous water to soap ratios, but I have not tried with the added cream. However, and I'm not trying to be square here, if I have to go through those lengths, just to please a certain soap, it's out. There are plenty other that just works with very little effort.

I have plenty of Arko, really like it. VDH contains SLS, so that one is out of the question. Rays of Colorado looks interesting, but sadly not available here.

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Arko is a tough act to beat with any hard puck soap IMHO. I have Arko and Palmolive sticks pressed into bowls, and with the possible exception of some Italian croaps, nothing I have tried beats them at any price.

Mr. Droid, tuxxdk and 178-bplatoon like this.
  19. swarden43

Is it really that much effort to flip a cap and squeeze a drop of cream from a tube?

20. tuxxdk

Yes and no. I just don't feel like fiddling with it when other soaps doesn't need to.