TTO Open Comb?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I love open comb razors, and I like the convenience of a TTO, so I want to find a TTO OC! I know they're out there, I've seen lots of Sheratons and other vintage Gillettes with an OC TTO design, but they're out of my price range for the most part.

I have seen that Cadet makes a TTO OC new, but I haven't heard any experience with that design.

Any others out there? Or does anyone have experience with the Cadet?

2. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I have the Cadet and really like it. It is a bit aggressive but a mild blade tames it well. I would say it is probably the best quality Cadet of the three I own. They're not a huge expense so I would say pick one up. Add to the collection. Join us.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

you own three cadets?

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That would not be unusual around here...

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Good luck. How aggressive is the Cadet? Can you compare it to another razor?

6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I find it milder than my Muhle r41 and more aggressive than your average closed comb razor. It is milder than my other Cadet or RazoRock open comb razors but each of those have mild blade alignment issues so it might not be a fair assessment. It might be a tad milder than my Fatip Piccolo but I would have to do a side by side comparison shave.

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Thanks for the info. My only experience with OC razors would be the Old Type, which I found fairly aggressive and a rough shave, and the New which I like very much.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a Cadet 3 piece OC and I find the shave comparable to my Gillette "NEW" Long Comb OC, which is to say I like it VERY much! If the Cadet TTO shaves like the 3 piece I'd say get it, they aren't really expensive. I guess I'll have to give the FaTip Piccolo a try now.:) I've tried and hated both the Muhle R41 and the Merkur 37C Slant. :(

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same here, but I'm starting to like the Fatip Piccolo that Mark sent me. I need to try it with a Big Ben or something mild to tame it a little more.

Bristle Me, GDCarrington and BigMark like this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

The Big Ben, Shark Super Stainless, and Derby Extra all work well in my Piccolo.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well that's tomorrow's shave, then.

12. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Along those lines, what are some thoughts on the Merkur "1904"? Back of $30 on Amazon right now with free shipping with prime. How does it compare?

For reference, I have a 3 piece Cadet OC and a short comb new. (I find the new sc to be pretty mild compared to the cadet. Takes and extra pass and a half for the same results)

13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I highly recommend the very first TTO to hit the market, the GEM Micromatic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tave

tave Member

If you can get a micro, get it. It's sweet.

15. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Picked one up the other day (the Micromatic) and have not purchased blades for it yet.

Bama Samurai likes this.