"Building from basic" is the way to gain satisfaction

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Peter Cupitt, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I have been constantly seeing all the wonderful and beautiful things that all my friends at TSD own and display, and kept thinking how basic my little collection was. But after a few more purchases and thinking about how MY collection should be "Themed" and used, I have decided that I am happier than I thought I would be, since my collection suits my intended use and is really, quite a decent starting point.
    Here is the core of my Brush collection as it stands right now and I am ordering 3 Badger knots and preparing to Hand Make 3 Artisan brushes from all Natural materials (NO Plastics) and preferably a "natural glue".
    Brushes Oct 2014.jpg
    The brush in the front/middle (on its side) is my Dad's old Boar bristle brush and I am about to Breath some life into the handle as the knot is surprisingly good. The three on the left are all Boar, The Vie Long in the middle is %100 Horse and the two on the right are Badger. I am very surprised at the similarity in softness of the Horse and Badger brushes !!

2. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

Very nice

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I just feel it is beyond necessary to own 2-3 brushes. I only own two, an omega and a semogue, and I rarely use the omega. However I do understand trying various brushes such as Horse, Badger, Boar and Synthetic. On the other hand, I finally found that one brush and one razor. I will of course keep 2 different blades and 2 soaps, and maybe some AS but beyond that I want to save money, after all that is why I picked up wet shaving and it sure was not meant to become a hobby, and I am a simple guy. I fear I will be called a wet shaving heretic by some. FWIW, I am not trying to demean you in anyway I am just stating that sometimes simpler is better. Isn't that part of why wet Shaving is so great? Not to mention that retro feel.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  4. Peter Cupitt

I hear you and agree. These brushes are what I have picked up locally in Australia and a couple on ebay (cheap) in my search for a decent brush. Brand names were not important to me but I always aimed to have several things covered for my shaving brush needs
    • Natural materials (No Plastic) (Glue excluded)
    • One each of Boar, Badger and Horse (No synthetic)
    • Brushes that perform as I expect they should
    • Brushes that A) Look/Feel good B)Have some meaning beyond their utility
    SO, I plan to have the Stainless Steel handled Badger brush, The Vie-Long Horse brush and the Boar brush of my Dad's (Refurbished by me, soon) as the 3 brushes on display and in a rotation, just to add some "spice to life". You know something different from time to time but maintaining some familiarity and comfort. SEE, only one brush ............ of each type :)
    None of these brushes cost me much at all cause in Australia, you don't get a lot of choice, and even my razors are all "Low Cost" but I now have several that I will stick with and the rest are a little collection (Although I must admit a strong desire to buy one expensive razor for keeps an IKON, DLC Slant).
    I must add, up front, that I do intend to buy a couple of Badger knots and Make my own, Worlds Best Shaving Brush that I would like to make the star of my collection and so I can leave something behind for my children to brawl over when I 'Turn my toes up".

Ashliegh Brilliant once said (and I have adopted) "If you make enough ridiculous assumptions, you will find everything I say or do totally justified"

Cheers mate :happy088:

BigMark likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm am one of those guys who have considerably more than I need to get a good shave. As with any hobby, we tend to collect things beyond what more rational (or non-hobbyiests) would consider a reasonable amount of paraphernalia. Despite my excesses in certain areas, I have keep my brush acquisitions to a reasonable amount both in quantity and in budgetary outlay. I appreciate those brushes I do have and look forward to the using and experiencing the particular characteristics each one offers.
    Maybe someday if I ever get my hands on the Simpson Chubby 2 manchurian badger with a butterscotch handle, I'll appreciate it all the more having tried a greater range of more affordable brushes. :happy088:

Very nice-looking brushes you have there, by the way…..;)

6. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I've tried quite a few things over the past year or so, but I believe I've found what works best for me.
    I'm decreasing the inventory now.
    I hope to end with three brushes, three DE razors, and three straights.
    That's enough for me.

I like the brush that is laying on it's side best. It just looks to be a comfortable brush.
    And you've a dish of Tabac. Man, I really like that stuff.
    Your scuttle looks quite interesting as well. I like the dark brown/coffee color.
    I've got to make up my mind soon. It will be cold again soon....
    I believe your theme is founded well Peter, and I wish you many happy shaves!

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  7. Peter Cupitt

I should have put the Tabac aftershave in the photo for you :) and/or the Old Spice to go with the "Aged Spice" soap from Mama Bears. I like things that match or Sets of things ;-)

8. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

I too find it silly to have anything more than 1 or 2 of anything at the start of my wet shaving journey. Now I have 5 of everything, I can safely say that wet shaving have moved to being utilitarian to a hobby. But I don't see myself adding anything more than this unless is an odd piece here and there. I think ive found my perfect rotation of gear.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Multiple items? What's wrong with that? RAD, BAD it's an addiction. Nice brushes.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  10. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

I've seen the light of day now

Peter Cupitt likes this.